Notices

Wanting the Forbidden Fruit

Old 09-07-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting the Forbidden Fruit

This old saying popped into my head today. That among other reasons I would want to drink, is realizing that the urge is mostly because I CAN'T have it. Anyone else relate?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

No old soul

I hate alcohol

Why would you miss it

Its definatly not a fruit

Physically numbed me enough for me to be burning alive in a fire that nearly took my life

If my neighbours wenrt in that night and didn't call the fire brigade to kick down my front door to save my life then I wouldn't be posting now

Still feel like drinking old soul
Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NO! Not drinking and no plans to. My addictive voice comes up with silly things. This is the latest one. IT wants to drink..not me and I'm enjoying a normal life.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I relate my ego wants to kill me

Sorry oldsoul
Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah the idea of fitting in, why are we different? surely I should be able to be normal? all can play on the mind, and it's our ego that can kick in and say "alcohol isn't going to get the better of me"!!

The reality though is the acceptance that I can't control alcohol when I start drinking is the answer!!

I only remain in control when I don't have that 1st drink!!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us have the rebel in us and we want to do things precisely because we can't.

I think the more I stayed sober, the more I loved my new sober life...and the more I grew up a little and had less of the defiant 'I WANNA' type tantrums

D
Old 09-07-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I understand what you are saying, oldsoul. But, it's not true that you CAN'T have it. You can have it. You can drink if you want to, but you choose not to, and you choose not to for very good reasons. That is very important to recognize.

Try to stop looking at alcohol as a treat that you are depriving yourself. It isn't a treat, it is poison and it wants you addicted to the point where you'll drink it in spite of the fact that it will kill you.

Maybe change your perception? (((HUGS)))
Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I can relate, oldsoul. Sometimes we miss what we know was really bad for us....then we think it through and come to our senses. I need to read these posts to keep me reminded.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
This old saying popped into my head today. That among other reasons I would want to drink, is realizing that the urge is mostly because I CAN'T have it. Anyone else relate?
Yup. I can. "It's not friggin fair, damnit!". Yeah... all the time.

That, and "forever" are the two things that bug me the most.

And it pisses me off.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I understand what you are saying, oldsoul. But, it's not true that you CAN'T have it. You can have it. You can drink if you want to, but you choose not to, and you choose not to for very good reasons. That is very important to recognize.

Try to stop looking at alcohol as a treat that you are depriving yourself. It isn't a treat, it is poison and it wants you addicted to the point where you'll drink it in spite of the fact that it will kill you.

Maybe change your perception? (((HUGS)))
THIS! I choose not to.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Exactly. I can drink, and take on all of the crap that goes with it, OR I can CHOOSE to have a marriage and a family, a job, a home, my physical and mental health and a little happiness once in a while. I cannot have both.

I looked at it this way. What would I do if someone were about to take all those things from me by force, backed me into a corner, what would I do? How would I react? I would fight, I would fight to the death to keep those things. Never drinking again is a piece of cake, a blip of will, compared to what I would actually do to prevent someone from taking that life from me.

So much of success is how you look at your goal. If you look at sobriety as being prevented from doing fun stuff, good stuff, normal stuff, you are doomed to fail. Better find something that points you in the right direction. Frame this proposition in a way that guarantees your success.

Maybe making a list of things you can have and be only if you never drink again will make sense. This gives you something to work towards, a positive force in your life. You can make this decision to quit drinking the choice to be free, the choice to be who you really are, and who you deserve to become.

You can do it, believe that you can succeed and that you deserve to succeed, and nothing will ever stand in your way. Onward!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like freshstart said, I like to remind myself that I am choosing not to drink. I am now a non-drinker. Lots of people are non-drinkers. It is certainly not easy. I am still in shock sometimes that alcohol is in my past but I am glad that it is. One more hangover and I fear they'd have to cart me off to the looney bin.

My best weapon is to remember this:

Drinking = Hangovers. No thank you!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I hear ya. Getting around 'the rules' has always been one of my favorite things to do. Tell me I can't do something and I will immediately start looking for ways to do it. I love to defy the powers that be.

For 25 years I had a voice in my head telling me I couldn't be happy unless I could drink. For 25 years I let that voice be the master and I was the slave. I didn't see it for what it was at the time, but that's how it went down.

That voice still tells me I can't be happy unless I drink. Wait a minute - did my former master just tell me I can't do something?

Guess who I get to defy again today.