Notices

Shopping Addiction Outbreak

Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Shopping Addiction Outbreak

Lately I have been waging a daily battle with myself attempting to NOT buy luxury items online that I know would make me feel better temporarily. Being in active addiction can be depressing, so who wouldn't want to spend some money on some new clothing, sunglasses, a tv, books, or whatever your thing is.

Is anyone else a really bad shopaholic when they are in their disease? I almost spent $176 dollars on a pair of Per Sol Italian sunglasses and yes I've wanted them for months but I have no way of paying for them except credit.

I have been playing this ring around the rosey with my debt and luckily my credit score isn't too bad because I've had periods of sobriety where I made logical financial decisions. Anyone else sick and tired of drinking hurting us financially through impulse buying, comfort food, and some downright irresponsible purchases we don't need?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's been a long time since I had the money to be a shopaholic YAC

If the object is to feel better, maybe there's something else you can do to get that feeling...I'm not sure where you are with your recovery and support, but volunteering is always a great way to feel good about yourself...and you help others too

D
Old 09-01-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i can relate - i'm really wanting to shop not drinking...if it's not 1 thing it's another. shopping is 1 thing i didn't care about when drinking - wtf?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel as though my spending gets more noticeable when I'm sober (or maybe I just notice it because I'm sober.. haha.) The first time I ever tried to get sober, I went on a shopping frenzy. Not expensive things, but I would always buy myself little things here and there to a point where it has added up. My rationale is that all of those things were much cheaper than bar tabs and trips to the package store combined.

This time around I'm noticing that I'm starting a similar pattern but I would like to cut back... but whatever keeps me from drinking... I'd rather be broke than dead. And I'd rather spend money on myself when I'm sober than when I'm not.

I think with time the frivolous purchases will subside... it will just take time...
Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

YoungAndClean, one of the side effects left over from using chemical substances is being "instantly satisfied". The desire to be instantly satisfied has perhaps resurfaced in obtaining expensive materialistic possessions. Rootin for ya.