Notices

What to have with cheese?

Old 08-31-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What to have with cheese?

Hi all,

I have a culinary question for you. An all-time favourite of mine has always been a giant cheese board with a nice red wine. (which then often ended up in 3 bottles of course)

I live in France and definitely don't want to give up on the cheese (that would just be too cruel, wouldn't it? ) I'm meeting a friend tomorrow for cheese and... well, that's my question. Have any of you found something that goes well to cut through the strong flavours of the cheese?

I'm currently thinking cold apple juice because of its acidity...

Grateful for any suggestion!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Why not offer a variety of base flavors with cold seltzer on hand to add bubbles or dilute strong flavors so as not to over power some cheeses. Maybe the cider could become a sparkling cider. Other juices can join in the party. Possibly even make the selection of what to drink as interesting as the pairing of cheese you decide to put out.

Apple, citrus, lemon, cherry...

Not sure that helps but I would love to stop by and see! I love cheese!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hmm, that sounds excellent. I shall make it my mission to find the perfect non-alc drink and cheese pairings!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mmmmm, the apple juice sounds like a great pairing. I'd cut it with soda water though, I think the effervescence would be nice. I often enjoy cheeses with various marmalades and fruit so I think the apple juice is perfect. Or maybe a pear juice. Orange and peach juices is avoid though, I think they would over power the flavors. Great post!!! Enjoy your cheese, soberly!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have found that a good pomegranate juice cut with a little water works pretty good. Or soda water as well. I like soda water with cranberry juice n lime. But with the POM, I just dilute it with clean water - not too much. Looks and feels like a cab. Experiement for your taste. Serve it in a balloon. No-one will know the difference.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like the fruit juice ideas. My first thought was strong black tea, such as Typhoo or Tapal Danedar. Maybe Irish or English Breakfast. PG Tips? Keemun would probably be good.

Obviously some would not pair so well, e.g., Oolong. Lapsang Soochong (or Russian Caravan) might be interesting if you wanted some pine smoke with your cheese.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Grape juice of course! Cut with club soda.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always found water with a good dose of fresh lemon helped me when I was craving the tartness of wine.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

tonic water believe it or not
Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

What do I eat with cheese

Always coca cola

And if you like cheese try a welsh rarebit recipe

Good luck
Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Leeloo -- can I come?!

I'm a big fan of a cheese tray and I've been avoiding it b/c I thought it would make me crave wine but you've encouraged me to go for it with another refreshing drink instead.

One thing that I recently discovered is pure Cranberry juice that I've been mixing with my sparkling water. Not the "cranberry cocktail" mess. The real deal, 100%, pure cranberry juice. Its SUPER tart, not sweet at all and looks beautiful with sparkling water and a lime, perfect for a party! They may not have it when you go out to restaurant, but might be perfect if you do a cheese night at home or something.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovered

We have "euro night" every Friday. Meats, cheeses, crusty bread, fruit, and bubble water. It is my favorite meal of the week.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I with soberwolf, I love coke, but in a pretty thick stemmed glass with loads of ice and some lime. But I do like the other ideas regarding juice cut with sparkling waters. (Kind of like Martinelli juices) I also love marmalades with cheeses. OH, I can imagine spreading some on a lovely wedge now, and downing a few olives and crackers. And I just started whole 30 today. Well, I can have the olives. ...I love fig anything with cheese.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I like cheese with my cheese. Love it lol
Old 08-31-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like lime seltzer mixed with 100% cranberry juice.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ham, Burger, crackers, hard salami would be my first choices. As for choices of drink methinks a strong iced-tea would suffice.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by boris View Post
I like cheese with my cheese. Love it lol
Anyone for ninety nine cheese pizza anyone lol
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

White grape or white cranberry cut with a little seltzer. Love the POM idea- will be trying that one myself today!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Mmmmm, the apple juice sounds like a great pairing. I'd cut it with soda water though, I think the effervescence would be nice. I often enjoy cheeses with various marmalades and fruit so I think the apple juice is perfect. Or maybe a pear juice. Orange and peach juices is avoid though, I think they would over power the flavors. Great post!!! Enjoy your cheese, soberly!
I agree with this, I think apple or white grape juice cut with club soda would be a good choice.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I would do grape juice.

You might find a strange phenomena that I found. Once I quit I thought of all the foods that I absolutely loved with beer. I laugh now that I found out that it wasn't the food that I liked

Then, on the other hand, you may find that you like it even more than you did previously!