Notices

Ive never tried quitting before.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive never tried quitting before.

Hi! I'm Allison. I'm pretty new to this, at about 60 hours in. Day one was really emotional, day two I felt pretty okay. Instead of the absolute dread I'd felt just the day before, I was optimistic and excited for the change. Today however, I didn't so much crave drinking (except when my friends posted all their weekend debauchery pictures), but nearly everything is making me cry. I was also extremely irritable earlier going out to dinner with the family, even though they couldn't have been more supportive. Even going somewhere that alcohol isn't served. My family doesn't drink anyway, so they really can't wrap their heads around why this is so hard for me. I'm not only losing my lover (vodka) but I have zero sober friends. Which is why I'm here.

So, hello everyone!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery Allison! You will find lots of support and stories of others journeys that you will find helpful!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, we do understand how hard this is.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is taking a low dose of clonopin for a few days okay? Someone told me it would prevent seizures. When I went to rehab for pain pills, a couple of the drinkers had seizures that really terrified me.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As Ive been reading the "what to expect" thread, I see that it is highly suggested that one medically detox. I guess I'm rather lucky as I did my full-on detox in jail a few months ago. Of course I got out, and went back to drinking. Not every day as I had before, but just binge drinking. Didnt plan on stopping either. I'd bought a half gallon and drank it in a day, then stole my mothers credit card, drove one of their vehicles, and bought more as soon as the liquor store opened that day.
Of course because of my past behavior, they get texts alerts anytime a card is used. I knew, and did care. Eventually passed out, only to be woken up to a huge physical altercation with my sister (we have both moved home after my mom had three devastating strokes last October). My mother kept trying to stop the fight, and ended up getting pretty hurt. My sister got a concussion. My whole body hurt. So, I drank the fifth I'd bought, then found enough change to get more, and took their car again.
When I woke up the next day, hungover and in a massive amount of pain, I knew this couldn't continue. I emptied out the rest of what I had.
So, here we are.

Oh yeah, my point was that as opposed to my jail withdraw which they came to see how i was six days into my stay, after repeatedly telling them. This time isn't nearly as bad, physically. Thank God. Emotionally however, I am a complete wreck. I think it's a bit worse than before because I am able to physically go get alcohol. Its within the realm of possibility, as opposed to being in a cell.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

allison

i can relate, this is a long weekend associated with parting. i was a heavy binge drinker too. today i was walking on egg shells and i so wanted a drink, i did not give in thank goodness. i was a vodka drinker too. i hung out in the chatroom here on and off when i got the craving. so good luck to you allison, keep in touch!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks! I will! downloaded Java just to use it! Cant seem to get it to work in Mozilla, so I have to use IE. I even downloaded the SR app but see no link to the chat rooms?
It hasn't been too bad for cravings yet but that usually comes on the third day. Which I'm going into.

Good luck to you too! I will surely be around a lot the next few days especially!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome 4llison.

Know exactly how you feel. The culture here in the uk amongst my age group sees getting absolutely hammered and making a fool of yourself as a badge of honour. In fact, alcohol is glorified massively, not by everyone but by a significant amount of people.

I've had to cut away during my many attempts at quitting from my buddies who I drank with. I still retain a few who will engage in non alcohol related ventures with me, but am on the lookout to make new sober friends.

It's not as hard as you think, you can meet great people just by starting a new hobby, volunteering etc. I've come quite close to a few people at my work who understand and would never pressure me to drink.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Welcome 4llison. Know exactly how you feel. The culture here in the uk amongst my age group sees getting absolutely hammered and making a fool of yourself as a badge of honour. In fact, alcohol is glorified massively, not by everyone but by a significant amount of people.
I've seen! My best friend growing up was from Darlington, who began drinking at 11 and is also an alcoholic. As were her parents. They find nothing wrong with their drinking. In fact, my first arrest at 14 was with a group of English kids who were visiting! The world headquarters for Cummins Engines is here so there's a large portion of English employees. The drunken men were just my type! I can only imagine how living in an entire population like that would be whilst trying to get sobriety.

My friends are split half and half with alcohol/drug use.

I too am trying to keep busy. I do have one friend who says she wants to get sober, and do sober activities, asked me to go to a boat party and a bar not 24 hours into my stopping.

My sister, who doesn't drink, looks to be my new best friend for a while! Which is funny because we've hated each other because of my drinking for a long time!

Good luck to you!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4llison View Post
Thanks! I will! downloaded Java just to use it! Cant seem to get it to work in Mozilla, so I have to use IE. I even downloaded the SR app but see no link to the chat rooms?
It hasn't been too bad for cravings yet but that usually comes on the third day. Which I'm going into.

Good luck to you too! I will surely be around a lot the next few days especially!

good idea, few times i had the urge to drink so bad, i came here and chatted to few good people i felt much better about myself. so hope it is good for you.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck