Notices

5 weeks & still sick

Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 weeks & still sick

Hi. I was a heavy drinker for nearly 10 years I drank most nights. I felt it killing me the past 2 years and suddenly had no desire to drink. I stopped almost 5 weeks ago and no desire for it. But I've been very sick. I've been on holidays the whole time and physically unable to do much. Very tired and sick (flu like) with uncomfortable nerves and my head full of anxiety. Severe and terrifying panic attacks crippled me for 3 weeks. Now much better and on constant anxiety with intermittent anxiety attacks. Taking vitamins etc...As recommended by dr. Google but last weekend broke down crying several times just tired of feeling sick and afraid all the time.

Since my doctor retired and I'm waiting for a new one I've been flying on my own with this. A walk in clinic doctor gave me cymbalta. Then another panic attack took me to emerge and they added ativan till cymbalta kicks in.

My big question is that "is feeling weak, tired, sickly, anxious at 5 weeks normal?" I feel like I should be better than this by now. I have even delayed returning to work from holidays because I feel sick and weak and could not fathom making it through a single day at my demanding job.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very similar experience here. I also drank every night for about 8 years, 12-14 units a night. I probably had 30 non-drinking days in those eight years. I was surprised to still not feel great after a month. Very, very lethargic. Uninterested in conversations, unmotivated. I wanted to lay on the couch all the time. Flu-like symptoms at times as well, feeling warm and clammy. I am on day 65 now and just today, actually I think I am starting to feel normal.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi newpathway

Although I had all those things, most of them didn't last five weeks for me (only the anxiety and I was anxious before anyway)

...it might be a good idea to find a new regular Dr and get to the bottom of this?

D
Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im 4 weeks sober and still sick. too many detoxes... each one gets worse, each early recovery gets harder as the alcoholism progresses and I get older... tired, flu like symptoms, don't sleep much at night, tired during the day.... I know I just have to ride it through and it goes away. But it feels like drudgery right now.... Keep pushing through. This is the damage Ive done to myself... luckily it repairs.... eventually.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me the psychological symptoms took longer to go away.
I still had anxiety, deep regret, panic for a longer time.
I think about 6 months it got better for me.

These symptoms are tough on your body and immune system too.
I think your body experiencing panic and stress and anxiety is tiring. It leaves you lethargic and exhausted.

I had to remember that everyday I did without booze, was a step closer to getting relief from these symptoms.

I wish you the best xx
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Get a 2 opinion 5 weeks is way too long to feel cold or flued up

Good luck !
Old 09-01-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have started and stopped several times in my oddessey through the past 8 months. I have always exercised vigorously and that may help me through the relapses. I didn't have flu like symptoms but do deal with a lot of anxiety and remorse. Try some light exercise, even if it's only walking at first. Don't sit still or isolate yourself. Post often and stay connected. I take Xanax. Meds can help but be careful about too much. Stay strong. You are not alone.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newpathway View Post

just tired of feeling sick and afraid all the time.

My big question is that "is feeling weak, tired, sickly, anxious at 5 weeks normal?"
in most people that I have seen sober up -- no
seems that you have some other issues

although this last time getting sober for me was
a long tuff one
it took several months before I got out of the fog

sounds as if you are going through something different

MM