Notices

It happened just like that

Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

By the way, I miss beer.

I still love beer more than anyone still able to drink the damn stuff... Safely.

That's the difference, normal drinkers don't fall in love with a drink.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I think today I have realized the key to my success will be changing my mindset on this. I cannot think of this as a loss anymore. I can't let myself feel deprived or as if I am missing out on anything. I have to face this in a more positive way.
This is bang on, Mera. You get to look at this whole issue in any of a hundred different ways, and it would make sense to look at it in a way that gives you the best chance of kicking this.

When you come to understand that any life free of alcohol has joy and peace and beauty in it with a little happiness, and every life with addiction has depression and sadness and shame and guilt and darkness, your way forward will be clear.

You can choose to quit drinking for good, no matter what. Your AV has no power to control your actions, you have all of that. Onward!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

We have all had a broken heart at some stage, usually our first or second boy or girl friend, somewhere between mid teens to early twenties........ Do any of us still wake up and that person is our first waking thought?

Time heals, but it takes longer if we keep going back over and over again.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

This is great, thank you for this. I am a real believer in the power of positive thinking. This will be a good route for me. I need to take some time today to seriously re-direct my mindset down this path instead of feeling so deprived and angry. Thank you again.
Have you considered the fact that the alcoholic has no mental defense against the first drink ?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
quat

I have every mental defense in the world against the first drink, betting counter is closed after choosing to put alcohol in my bloodstream. I choose to accept that, and act accordingly. That's the 'secret'. It's very simple, not easy, just simple.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I have every mental defense in the world against the first drink, betting counter is closed after choosing to put alcohol in my bloodstream. I choose to accept that, and act accordingly. That's the 'secret'. It's very simple, not easy, just simple.
I didn't. I tried it your way and got my butt kicked time after time.
Then I found a solution that worked for me. Its Chapter 6 in the BB and they even titled it "There is a Solution." Works for millions of alcoholics.

Society always told me the same old saw: "Just use a little will power and you can stop." Kept trying that and it damn near killed me until I came to AA and found the solution. BTW - My solution is simple and easy.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi Mera -- just wanted to say I'm glad you're here. I don't know much about this, still early for me and I've had my share of mess-ups. But I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading your posts...and something about this last one really touched me. We're not much different really. Keep your head up and and let's keep at this, ok?? Hugs across the ocean to you!!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm planning on going to the AA meeting that I have been sternly warned by those close to me not to attend
Oh, and I meant to ask if its not too personal -- why is this? Why would someone warn you not to attend AA. I mean, I get that its not for everyone and I actually haven't been...but a stern warning NOT to attend?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
quat

Uncle
I am not baiting anyone, just making an anecdotal comment about a 'fact'.

Many paths , same goal
wish you well
Old 08-31-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Uncle
I am not baiting anyone, just making an anecdotal comment about a 'fact'.

Many paths , same goal
wish you well
Glad to hear that. My dilemma as a newcomer was to sort thru the
solutions of others and find the one that worked for me. I am so
grateful for those who have found what works, no matter what method.

Both of us are here for the newcomer and that is what counts. Keep on
trudging.........