Notices

newcomer

Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer

My first time here. Two days sober but don't know if I am committed to a life of sobriety or not. Still telling myself I can have just one drink but afraid to try.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome.

I told myself that, and tried..... many many times.

came to find out that by virtue of being in the process of even TRYING, I was already providing myself evidence that it wasn't really possible.

Anyway congrats on two days sober. NEVER an be a daunting word, so maybe you can just focus on "for now" and on the benefits you see coming from sobriety.

Stick around, read a lot, share, discuss, learn....

Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, your in good company. You will find that everyone here thought they could have one or to from time to time, but it never works out for us. That's why we're here, quitting can be done and it is worth it you will meet people in here that will make you believe that and help you get there good luck
Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've tried it too over and over again and it didn't work for me either. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Once I surveyed the damage done, the state of affairs, and considered all my options... I decided to get sober for good. It has made all the difference.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome!
you'll find most of us felt that way at some point.
The whole "one day at a time" thing works for me (and not just with NOT drinking, with everything)...all we have is today. And today, I will not drink.

stick around
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Comin up for air!

Just read around a bit, and see if you identify with the stories here. And remember that alcoholism is progressive--those bad experiences will only become worse.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can assure you with 100% certainty CUFA, it will not be "just one drink". Yes,it is tough to be sober, especially so if you are not committed to a life without drink. When you are just starting the journey that can seem like an impossible task. Why not commit to a week sober. When you make it, keep building on your success. Keep us posted day by day.

Last edited by NorMar; 08-28-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-28-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just focus on today and stay sober and then we can worry about tomorrow when it happens

Hang in there the fact you want 1 more should be an indicator

Good luck
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by cominupforair View Post
My first time here. Two days sober but don't know if I am committed to a life of sobriety or not. Still telling myself I can have just one drink but afraid to try.
First time to the forum, but I bet it's not the first time you convinced yourself you can have just one drink. What's your success with that? Probably not worth trying it again. You wouldn't be here if it wasn't the right choice, so accept that sobriety is the journey you are on.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, comingupforair. I tired "just one drink" thousands of times; never worked.

Glad you found SR; keep posting; have a look around the site - there's a wealth of great information.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of people come here not entirely sure of the length of their commitment cominupforair - I wasn't sure when I got here either.

I was an all day everyday drinker...I nearly died...but still I wondered if there was a way I could still drink.

Insanity.

Luckily, I kept reading my story over and over again in other peoples posts tho and that convinced me to give the recovery thing a good go.

Still rocking it 7 years later

I know you'll find good advice and support here too

D
Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. Person experience is abstinence is only solution. Every hardcore binge over the past 2 years started with one harmless beer.