Notices

Doctor ordered relapse- frustration and nightmares

Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctor ordered relapse- frustration and nightmares

So I went to the doctors and aside from having my blood pressure taken and told what would happen to me if I continued (hint: rhymes with lie). He told me somebody drinking as much and as long as me cannot just quit cold turkey, he says he can tell I'm at risk of suffering dangerous withdrawals due to my blood pressure. I needed to cut down then quit.

So that's what I did. Doctor ordered guilt free beer right? Not really. My mindset has changed, I now see a glass of beer as it is: a glass of slow poison rotting my organs and I resented every sip of it. Anyway, I had three beers last night, tonight two, tomorrow one. Only fools ignore doctors orders, after all.

I just want to get this crap out of my body now.

Last night I had a nightmare: see when I was a kid I was abused (not sexually) and the worst came when I was locked in the spare room getting the crap knocked out of me for three days straight. I remember thinking I was going to die in this room. So I dreamed about this, except this time I was doing the beating to myself. When I woke up and I thought about what this meant and realised that's what I was scared of, that using drink I was going to beat myself to death and this room was the tomb of alcoholism.

I survived once. A few more jabs that's all my body has to take: a necessary evil.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

In some countries tapering seems to be the order of the day.
Find a better, more knowledgeable Dr, Thomas.

D
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel fine today, I felt basically fine yesterday. I've had D.Ts before, I know how it feels. This isn't it. I had high blood pressure because I'm scared.

Unless I get some kind of physical reason to drink I'm not. I know my body's reactions to alcohol pretty well by this point, I've had years of practise.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JMO, but it is time for a new Dr. that is more knowledgeable about alcoholism. Weaning off alcohol was the norm for decades, but we have very effective drugs for this nowadays called benzodiazepines. Benzos are addictive themselves and come with their own set of dangers, but not nearly as dangerous as telling an alcoholic to keep drinking.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here in the UK, tapering is the way to go - whether from prescribed meds or alcohol. I guess we're all different huh ?

Good luck with it Thomas- you've found an excellent site here

PS The problem with Benzos, is that an addictive personality, can just as easily get hooked on those.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering might be 'the go' in the UK, but to be honest as an outside observer I think thats a reflection of the NHS's difficulties in coping with the size of the problem there, rather than good practice Mairie.

Just my opinion tho.

D
Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Just being honest Thomas but I'm not sure I'd even trust non alcohol related issues about my health to a doctor who would recommend tapering. Especially if I was told that I was going to die if I continued drinking.

There was a time when I might have even questioned if a doctor would really say that to someone. That was before my daughter confessed her addiction to opiates to her doctor who knew that she was pregnant. His reply was "Can't you just cut down a little at a time?" I was floored when I heard that one.

It shows a total lack of knowledge about the subject of addiction, a malady that causes widely spread health issues and can cause death (well, at least he's aware of that). If there's a lack of knowledge on something that causes so many health issues then what else is there a lack of knowledge of?

Time to find a new doctor who understands the seriousness of the situation.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm pretty much trusting my instincts and my experience with bad withdrawals on this one. He said to cut down until I feel fine, well, I feel fine.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Just being honest Thomas but I'm not sure I'd even trust non alcohol related issues about my health to a doctor who would recommend tapering.
Pretty much all doctors in the UK recommend tapering, they even have a helpline for alcoholics where they tell untrained staff to order you to ween yourself off. Standard practise, finding another doctor wouldn't help.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Mairie View Post
Here in the UK, tapering is the way to go - whether from prescribed meds or alcohol. I guess we're all different huh ?

Good luck with it Thomas- you've found an excellent site here

PS The problem with Benzos, is that an addictive personality, can just as easily get hooked on those.
Consider my mind boggled for the day. Seriously?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Consider my mind boggled for the day. Seriously?
Yeah, that's how it is. Dee is likely right saying it's a budget thing. Getting somebody else to buy themselves beer doesn't cost a penny. Those upper class tax breaks ain't gonna pay for themselves doncha' know?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
Pretty much all doctors in the UK recommend tapering, they even have a helpline for alcoholics where they tell untrained staff to order you to ween yourself off. Standard practise, finding another doctor wouldn't help.
Wow, that just floors me. This is just my opinion but I'm in the same mind frame as Dee on this one.

a reflection of the NHS's difficulties in coping with the size of the problem there, rather than good practice
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

With risk of this becoming a political debate- surely the amount of tax generated by drinking covers the costs? Or am I missing something? I know it does with smoking.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Tapering might be 'the go' in the UK, but to be honest as an outside observer I think thats a reflection of the NHS's difficulties in coping with the size of the problem there, rather than good practice Mairie.

Just my opinion tho.

D
Not sure if it is a good or bad thing but Doctors in the UK don't hand out Benzos like candy.. All we get is told to taper & handed a load of Thiamine. I have to admit I am one of the lucky ones where tapering worked..
It all varies from country to country..
Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really didn't mean this to be a political discussion.

I think the NHS does a great job...the doctors and nurses must be saints... but the Dr to patient ratio is the UK is pretty low - the ratio rose from two doctors per 1000 people in 2000-1 to 2.4 in 2005-6...I'm not sure of figures after that but they can't be markedly different now.

My own experience with tapering is not a good one. I think it's a historical method that been superseded by a lot of better ones...but in the end, I'm just some Joe, a layman.

Folks will either go with their Dr, go their own way, or find a second opinion, without my help

Thomas, I'm glad you're feeling ok

D
Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thomas, you said you've had DT's before and you understand how your body reacts to withdrawals as you've done it many times. I think we all understand your doctors orders too, even though some may disagree.

My question would be what are you doing other than the taper plan to make sure this is your last detox? Are you attending meetings or seeing a counselor? Debating politics or medical practices might be entertaining, bit it won't do much for your sobriety I'm afraid. What will you do differntly this time?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What am I doing differently? I'm actively trying to quit. I went through D.Ts before because I ran out of money, never through choice. It was as simple as that.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Scott was getting at what else you have in mind besides not drinking

I think it really helps to have a plan...a thought out plan of 'what kinds of things can I do to help me stay sober'.

Not trying to put the mockers on you, but when I just went with it, I usually ended up drinking again cos I had no Plan B.

D
Old 08-29-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh right, well next week I've taken the week off work. I have holidays saved up and time off to cope with these changes will really help, I'm also going to attend AA on Monday, as I'm working these next few days. I've started meditating and exercising, that helps a lot.

That's it really, that's my plan.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Any which way you can Tom! Keep up the good work.