Notices

Your tipping point???

Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
I am ALWAYS really, really impressed by folks who are not effecting family in the immediate home and quit. Frankly, I am not certain I'd have that amount of insight which lead me to stop.......

Proud of you!
Thanks for this great share
Thanks Flynbuy! Honestly though.. it took me forever. I drank for about 16 years and tried to control/quit for 10 (in denial). I finally got to a point that I just knew I would be alone and miserable and die young if I continued. Watching people who had families and had it together.. me being needy, desperate and dependent on alcohol.. thats not me. I just wanted to be free!! Life is too short to waste away in hell on earth .

Much love everyone
Stay strong!!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post
Thanks Flynbuy! Honestly though.. it took me forever. I drank for about 16 years and tried to control/quit for 10 (in denial). I finally got to a point that I just knew I would be alone and miserable and die young if I continued. Watching people who had families and had it together.. me being needy, desperate and dependent on alcohol.. thats not me. I just wanted to be free!! Life is too short to waste away in hell on earth .

Much love everyone
Stay strong!!

Well said, and great motivation for (me) Others!!
Good for you!!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have always drank, however it wasn’t until this year that I felt my drinking has become a problem. It wasn't a single event for me - but really noticing that alcohol is ruining the things that are important to me in life.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I drank daily starting in my third year of college. I started having a constant pain on my right side in 2013 after 34 years of daily drinking. The pain was from an enlarged liver and was a constant reminder that I was destroying my physical health. After six months of pain, I stopped drinking.
That was 12 months ago and I now run every day instead of drink. My life is so different now, it is hard to describe. I'm living again after wasting over three decades getting drunk every night.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
I have always drank, however it wasn’t until this year that I felt my drinking has become a problem. It wasn't a single event for me - but really noticing that alcohol is ruining the things that are important to me in life.
Great RLS quote in you signature.

Thank you for your post .

I recall a few years back when I quit for a short period. I refused to go to AA meetings. I said to my wife - if I go to meetings, everyone will know I have a drinking problem. She chuckled - EVEYONE already knows! That still pisses me off....ha! Tried Antibuse - it worked fine till I got tired of not drinking and let it pass from my system. THEN I was ready to moderate - what a joke....

Today, meetings make the difference for me. I learned to stop taking the various fear killers I used daily including alcohol.

Over the years, my drug of choice was simple. What u got??
Vodka, rum, beer etc.... Perfect!

82 days....
Old 08-29-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Ornithology View Post
I drank daily starting in my third year of college. I started having a constant pain on my right side in 2013 after 34 years of daily drinking. The pain was from an enlarged liver and was a constant reminder that I was destroying my physical health. After six months of pain, I stopped drinking.
That was 12 months ago and I now run every day instead of drink. My life is so different now, it is hard to describe. I'm living again after wasting over three decades getting drunk every night.
Very powerful! What a testament to HOPE for all!

Man, I have regrets for the time I wasted as well. If I dwell on that, it will eat me alive.

Guy told me once - we make amends to ourselves and loved ones everyday by not drinking. That thought helps me a lot.

Best Regards,
Flynbuy
Old 08-29-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

the day I knew I was no longer a social drinker was when I was screaming at my children for basically being children. They were so scared, the eldest was 9. The day I knew my quitting day was coming soon, was the day my mother passed. I had progressed for a few weeks into vodka at that time.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
The day I knew my quitting day was coming soon, was the day my mother passed.
My mom's death had the same effect on me.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
the day I knew I was no longer a social drinker was when I was screaming at my children for basically being children. They were so scared, the eldest was 9. The day I knew my quitting day was coming soon, was the day my mother passed. I had progressed for a few weeks into vodka at that time.
Good for you!! Glad you took the time to post this for all of us......Nothing is more important than doing right by your kids. Wish I learned that lesson a long time back;

Right before I quit I bought a bottle of tequila(Saturday night) to make my wife Margaritas the next afternoon. She drinks about 1 a month, maybe. BUT I really thought I would do this for her!! What a joke......

That night, I proceeded to drink the vast majority of it - by myself doing shots with beer in the garage. I left enough to make each of us a margarita the next day.

My 17 year son was so upset I was drunk again, he smashed the bottle in the driveway and what little remained of the tequila.

I yelled at him - well, you spoiled MOMS little surprise! WOW, THAT is when I knew I had lost it.

STILL it took another couple months. I was definitely insane....I have a lifetime of amends to make.

The good news is TODAY we talk again. The look of despair in his eyes which was a reflection of me is gone......It didn't take long. He wants to love and needs a father who isn't a lush.....
Old 08-29-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
Been lots of tipping points for me, but only one that got me to get on this site or any other site IRT alcohol problem. 8/2/14 I was up at my ranch and have had an ongoing property dispute with another party. I have tried successively to buy his property for 5 months. Its a long story and not for here. Anyway, he flew out to the property and I knew he was going to stop buy to look at his property. I had been building fence, and drinking beer since 10:00 am. I was out in the back 40 building a gun range and my kid came to tell me he was at the ranch house. I had probably 8 to 10 beers in me and it was 1:00 p.m.(usually a time when most people may have one beer with lunch).

We met, it turned very confrontational and I came unhinged. Really unhinged, as I have already spent a lot of $$ on lawyers to rectify this problem and even though I have met his asking price three times, he kept raising it. So it did not get physical, although I was hoping it would even though he was an enormous 340 lber. At one point, and this was the tipping point, I thought, why in the hell don't I just shoot him and bury him on my property? Then the problem would go away. I had a gun right there, a tractor to dig and I thought damn, why did I not think of this earlier. I don't have a criminal record, don't even have a speeding ticket. I am one law abiding citizen.

I did not shoot him, and eventually I finished the 30 pack of beer after he left and woke up the next morning with a few questions I needed to answer. I get aggressive when I drink too much, never toward my family, but toward others. But obviously something had changed with the beer. I used to be fun and jovial, now I get mean and thought about shooting a guy to solve a problem which will in time rectify itself. SOOOO, I had to make a change. I got on here the next day and was comforted that other people are in the same boat, and I need to focus not on the 10-30 beers, but rather the first one.

Pretty educated guy, but never thought it was a battle to not have the first one, but a battle to stop at about 10-30. It was an epiphany to me to think it needs to stop before one.

I really can't risk getting drunk and wanting to shoot people. It is not a very socially acceptable solution to a problem. Sort of like getting drunk, then throwing your life away type of situation.

Anyway, that was my tipping point. Glad to get it off my chest.

Hey man, your thoughts struck home a bit with how you can become different with too many beer, and about ya can't just have one. everyone has their triggers, and mine is like you, having the first one. Sometimes I stopped after 6 or 8, and I didn't have any more, just enjoyed the buzz, but deep down I knew that I wanted to keep the buzz going, and I would like more. I kept playing this game thinking I had control, while 1-2 times a month I would give in and have 16 beers, and that was bad, fiancée didn't like that guy as he doesn't listen and thinks he knows everything, and I began wondering if that guy was going to be able to keep relationships, so for 3 mos, I went off beer, and just had a bottle of wine 3 nights a week with her (buying one each night to avoid the urge of having more), it was fine, until one night prior to a camping trip, I bought 2 bottles for the first time, and I lost control of the responsible guy, and just wanted to drink, I thought I had done so well, but we got into a fight, and that was it, that was the night I realized what I always think I knew, I don't have control over this, maybe for a while I can, but overall I WAS DONE, that was 13 Aug 2014. I'm done with the stuff, it is not worth going threw every week thinking "I can't wait til Thu" (to have beer); I think more clearly now, and am a better guy for it. I wish you the best of luck man, and let's not "just have 1", guys like us can't do that, not worth it!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

awesome!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes, very inspiring! I love this place so much. People who dont have this problem just dont understan, in my experience. Much love SR fam
Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

There have been many, many points where I knew I had a problem, but the first time it really hit home was when I got into a drunken argument with my boyfriend at the time and he called me out on my issue. Not by being careless, not by being mean, but out of sincere hurt and concern. I asked him why he was leaving me one last time and with tears in his eyes he said "you have a drinking problem, and I can't help you". That was the start of a two year battle that I was sure at many points would kill me.

I mourned that loss for so long and was angry at him for "insulting" me. Really, though, I have him to thank for making me really start facing my addiction rather than slowly get sicker and sicker. That two years of hell could have been 10 or 20 were it not for him.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Blacking out was a problem that was only getting worse. July 28th I was on vacation, enjoying wine with my mother in law overlooking the ocean. Next thing I know, I wake up in the morning with that awful feeling of dread that was becoming so familiar.

I hope I passed out right away, but no. Out comes my alter-ego. I am loud, angry, drunk and almost fell over the balcony to yell at some neighbors who were also vacationing. Making no sense, repeating the same sentence over and over and over without hearing what the other person is saying. I was on auto pilot yet again. I started to feel like I was looking at a corpse in the mirror. "Don't you know, Lia, you died months ago" I would think to myself.

Quit drinking, started therapy and found this sight.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ~Lia~ View Post
Blacking out was a problem that was only getting worse. July 28th I was on vacation, enjoying wine with my mother in law overlooking the ocean. Next thing I know, I wake up in the morning with that awful feeling of dread that was becoming so familiar.

I hope I passed out right away, but no. Out comes my alter-ego. I am loud, angry, drunk and almost fell over the balcony to yell at some neighbors who were also vacationing. Making no sense, repeating the same sentence over and over and over without hearing what the other person is saying. I was on auto pilot yet again. I started to feel like I was looking at a corpse in the mirror. "Don't you know, Lia, you died months ago" I would think to myself.

awesome Lia, that alter-ego thing struck home. I once thought that was a cooler version of me, more outgoing, but now I just see it was a drug that was giving me more confidence. I think the confidence thing is coming now that I think thru it all. This year has had its ups and downs, but it is going to get better, and you will too
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by thedryoutdrsmn View Post
awesome Lia, that alter-ego thing struck home. I once thought that was a cooler version of me, more outgoing, but now I just see it was a drug that was giving me more confidence. I think the confidence thing is coming now that I think thru it all. This year has had its ups and downs, but it is going to get better, and you will too
Man, so true - Flynbuy, the LIFE of the party!! What a load of c***.
I was under the delusion of - boy, did I enhance that party, bar, sporting event, birthday, Christmas get together etc.

At 87 days, my"good friends" at the watering hole seem to be doing just fine without me.....Whatever happened to ....what was his name>> oh, yea flynbuy!

Insane behavior.....Glad to be sober TODAY
Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Man, so true - Flynbuy, the LIFE of the party!! What a load of c***.
I was under the delusion of - boy, did I enhance that party, bar, sporting event, birthday, Christmas get together etc.

At 87 days, my"good friends" at the watering hole seem to be doing just fine without me.....Whatever happened to ....what was his name>> oh, yea flynbuy!

Insane behavior.....Glad to be sober TODAY
I can totally relate man, doesn't it make it feel like now is way more real?

I value my friends more now that just care and want to shoot the s$%t than the ones who just wanted to party. I like the peeps who just want to be around me, not the drunk guy.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by thedryoutdrsmn View Post
I can totally relate man, doesn't it make it feel like now is way more real?

I value my friends more now that just care and want to shoot the s$%t than the ones who just wanted to party. I like the peeps who just want to be around me, not the drunk guy.
Yes, the drunk guy is hard to be around.....It's like looking in a mirror at the carnival. Weird reflections!

Glad your here on SR Man!!!
Keep posting, really some great thoughts......

Peace
Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yeah, there was a tipping point for me. I moved out as soon as possible after graduating high school. I had 2 min. wage jobs at the same hotel and got fired from them at the same time. I wanted to go on welfare until I could find another job, but I needed my parents' signature because I was still a minor. They wouldn't do it and made me move home instead. They were alcoholics, and we had my parents' newly divorced alcoholic friend sleeping on the couch. I used to get up at 1-2 pm, throw up for a while and then start drinking at 4:00 with everyone else. I was usually still up at dawn. My sister used to have a nickname for me that included the word 'bile'. Ha ha.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ~Lia~ View Post

So nice to know I'm not alone Lia
O
This is a great thread
Well I had a drunken argument with my boyfriend (now also clean and sober) bundled all of his clothes into bin liners and chucked them outside the house somewhere. To this day I have no idea where they are. I blacked out. I did have to buy him a whole new wardrobe of new clothes on credit. Took a long time to pay off. But it was a wake up call