Notices

Fired, its over, the job I loved is gone!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I quit drinking for good the day my business's #1 account fired us because of my drunkenness.

Two years later they hired us back.

Lou Holtz once said...."Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond."

Food for thought
Old 08-28-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this TDG - but stay strong and fight the fight of your life right now!!! This is your time to sort through the rubble and rebuild your life. You're 34 - you have many, many years ahead of you!! Once the shock wears off, maybe you can try and pull the positives out of this and use that as motivation/incentive to take huge steps toward a life that you deserve. It isn't too late
Hang in buddy!!!! You can do this.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sorry TDG. Thinking of you, Jude
Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

TDG, I am so sorry to hear this. I know you would prefer to still have your job but something good might come of this. You were filling out the papers for financial help to pay for rehab. Without a job and health benefits that came with it, you now qualify for Obama Care. I helped someone who was unemployed apply for this-he doesn't have a computer-and he received his medicaid card in just a week. Maybe this could help?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

TDG,

Your employer did this for two reasons: the job that you do is important, and that you are currently not able to perform at your normal level. Neither of these things need to mean that you will never get a job like this again, it merely means you need to get sober to do so. Focus on first things first, the rest will fall into place.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If I did not lose my job (fired) last year I would not be sober today. It gave me time to focus on myself and I had to stop hiding behind the shadow of the seemingly successful person I was at work. Instead I had to be me, not work me.

It sucks right now, but all sorts of good can and will come from this if you keep the right attitude.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

"your attitude will determine your altitude"

someone told me that once and I thought it was a good saying!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Kiddo... I am sorry from the bottom of my heart.. have sat in a ton of offices and watched people that make a ton of money do all sorts of terrible things to themselves and others.. and never have to pay the price.. and then they got to go to a vacation rehab on the companies dime.. something better will happen.. dig into all of your County City and State help... go to a church and sit a minute and talk to the Big Guy ... then go to the help area and ask for help.. Check out your city do you have a dry hootch in town the Vets that go there are a ton of wealth in help for they have had to have it all dumped on them... prayes kiddo so many prayers and hugs from this Old Mom...
Old 08-28-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
I recommend immediately filing for SSI and SSD. That does not mean you can't work again but it is good to have it in the works in light of no unemployment.

I put it off for a long, long time and hope that others might learn from my mistake that was very hard on me and costly.

I also agree with Drake.
Also remember that the large law firms that deal strictly with these matters have a much greater success rate than you would alone. The state doesn't have anyone sitting at their table, but if you have representation it really helps. And no, I don't work for a law firm but I do know they work on a contingency basis and it's probably worth their fee if you can get anything. Alcoholism *is* a disease and although I understand your employer's reasons if you are a delivery person, it still doesn't mean you have no rights.

Good luck with finding another path!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I forgot to add that volunteer work (as long as you are sober) looks good on a resume and will keep you busy while you're going to meetings and looking for a job.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

sorry to hear that, you take care and look after yourself.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that, TDG. What I would add to the good advice above is to go easy on yourself. It seems like you've been going through a high-intensity period for weeks, so please remember to take a breather now and then to rest, recuperate, grieve and just plain relax in between the practical stuff.

Wishing you the best,

K