Notices

Daily Meditations - 30 Day Challenge

Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Today I sat BEFORE walking the dog and I think this is going to be what I aim for each morning. The past two days were a struggle to make time for it, because I tried doing it after the dog walk, and BEFORE my coffee... lol!! Um, I went straight for the coffee, then the computer... and surprise, surprise... I was sidetracked. Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

Anyway... definitely going to do it before the dog gets me out of bed each morning. Going to try and do it silently so she doesn't even know I'm awake yet!! She's like a little child... so eager to get out of her crate and bounds toward the front door, glances at her leash hanging by the door, and just can't wait for her walk
Old 08-28-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I've not done the meditation for two days now. I think I'll have to start doing it before anything else, too. Otherwise it's coffee, computer, racy brain.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I hear you, Bimini.

Ok, so today I did it in bed before taking the dog out for her walk. Much better. It was a challenge because there was no real separation or break between waking up and the meditation... I mean, yeah I was awake... but barely! Hmmm.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I got interrupted this morning by the phone ringing instead of the gong and after answering the phone I did not have enough discipline to restart. Oh well, will try a session in the evening hopefully.

When I meditate in the house in the mornings, I actually like to have a coffee before and also a bit of reading to make me more alert.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'd like to try the coffee, Haennie. But it would wake the dog. I might just have to put up with some whining.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
I'm committing to a daily meditations routine for one month. The plan is to set the time to meditate every day. biminiblue is my inspiration!

I am a complete newbie to meditation and will be learning as I go along. Please feel free to check-in here and/or post your meditation inspirations and experiences. Please share links to meditation topics or resources here too.

I have started with this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sQ0DTF2tAM
Guided Meditation with Eckhart Tolle

Daily meditation 1 - check!

Who's in? xx
I have found this works for me. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Once again 20 mins sitting by the river, this morning I just stopped on my way to work. I really like this now so will continue to do it when the weather permits.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Haennie...That's great and you may want to consider finding a 'bad weather' location to keep momentum and continuity when skies are grey.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WillB View Post
Haennie...That's great and you may want to consider finding a 'bad weather' location to keep momentum and continuity when skies are grey.
I'm usually fine in my apartment, there isn't much that interrupts me there apart from the occasional noises from the environment if I turn the phone off. It's just that I've discovered this outside location recently

I'm glad you like Tolle's approach, WillB! I really love his books and general perspective.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Sorry haennie, not sure who Tolle so I googled the name. Are you referring to Eckhart Tolle?

Disruptions can be a problem..i recall one time being interrupted whilst I was nearing a meditative state. It was so jolting it scared the crap out of me! There are no distractions or passer bys at the outside location?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WillB View Post
Sorry haennie, not sure who Tolle so I googled the name. Are you referring to Eckhart Tolle?

Disruptions can be a problem..i recall one time being interrupted whilst I was nearing a meditative state. It was so jolting it scared the crap out of me! There are no distractions or passer bys at the outside location?
Yes Eckhart Tolle.

Of course there are distractions outside, but that particular area is relatively quiet. I think I'm also quite good at "filtering out" distractions in part due to living in a big city and also working in an often quite hectic condition with lots of people and events, and I guess my meditation experiences also taught me to focus better. I usually find sudden distractions particularly "painful" when I am in a highly anxious state to start with. It was very difficult during my first 2 months of sobriety.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks, sounds like I will have to check him out.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Jon Kabat-Zinn. Anyone familiar with his stuff? Mindfulness based stress reduction. I love him.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'm not making any progress. Feeling pretty down. Not getting enough sleep, so when I set the time aside, I just slump into a short comatose nap and wake up from it with mind racing again. I should've committed to the 30-day challenge to go to sleep at a reasonable hour instead... Why is it so darn hard to take care of yourself?..
Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I've also been meditating and wanted to share this great set of "21 guided meditations for recovery" with you guys. (completely free and streamable, so just check it out)

thebuddhistcentre.com/eightsteps/complete-course-21-meditations-recovery

I've been looking into Buddhism for a quite a while now, so I'm also reading their book (Eight Step Recovery - Using the Buddha’s Teachings to Overcome Addiction) which I can definitely recommend (even if you don't know anything about Buddhism, it's really more about human nature, the mind and the nature of addiction).

Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Melki, don't give up. You can do shorter times, maybe 10 minutes per day?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

It's a lot of work, isn't it, to get up in the morning and do this in a disciplined and consistent manner. That is why it is called a "practice", I'd guess. Let us hang in there.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thanks for information about meditation. I have been scattered lately too, and I'm going to give this a try.
Take care all
B
Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I have a blue heeler, Rooster. On our walks he sticks right to my side until he senses that Im not paying full attention to him - and, then he slinks, rather mischievously, off to do his own bit of scouting. When I finally do notice that he has left my side I sometimes feel a bit irritated with him. At other times I'm not as stern and I can delight in his little forays. He always come back as soon as I whistle.

My mind when meditating is a lot like Rooster. I like it better when I'm not so stern about the wanderings.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inchworm View Post
Jon Kabat-Zinn. Anyone familiar with his stuff? Mindfulness based stress reduction. I love him.
Yes, I actually also met him in person and I would recommend his works to anyone interested in mindfulness and developing a better life

In my experience meditation is a bit like recovery: most often it does not go as planned, the efforts give us plenty of surprises (some we don't wish for), but doing it anyway can take us to "places" never imagined before

I sat by the river again for 20 mins this morning