Notices

Daily Meditations - 30 Day Challenge

Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
waking down

melki, thanks for starting this. I've been meditating daily and practicing active mindfulness for months now, but I feel myself slipping (less time, skipped a day here and there). I can't sit for long, and back pain is creating undue interference.

Thanks for all the links. The one about MM and personality hit home for me. I think it will be helpful to link to some guided meditations for awhile to help me focus and since I've been trying to meditate prone maybe help keep me awake (I'm working three jobs and I'm exhausted).

Keep it going. I'm with you...
Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sat for 20 minutes again today... around 5-6pm. Today I was scattered mentally, sort of all over the place. In and out of mindfulness. I found my thoughts drifting to things I'd like to do. It's hard to just halt in the middle of the day and get still sometimes. Even on a weekend. Seems my brain is reluctant to slow down even on the off days.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I used to do a kind of internal mantra meditation but these days I prefer just sitting (when I remember to do it). I have a zen cushion and pad. I sit in half-lotus because my knees are not very flexible.

My aim is not to quiet the mind, although that might happen. I just sit and let thoughts happen and let things be with an unfocused awareness, no preference, no resistance, no trying to do anything more particular than just sitting.

I think that even with a busy mind or nerves on edge this style can be a good practice that would help develop acceptance and nonreactivity. It can be thought of as a kind of tourism or surfing.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day five.

This morning I looked up from my computer and there was a doe and two fawns just below my window. I leaned in to look and my slight movement caught the doe's attention and the three of them quickened their pace slightly.

What a great way to lead into meditation this morning. I've gotten comfortable in my chair and I listened to a tape of ocean sounds.

On to day 6.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Very nice, Bimini
Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My Spirit Animal is the deer, too.

I did some Native American question/answer thing with a spiritual guy many years ago, and that's what he said. I've lived here 22 years and that's the first time I've spotted them in the yard. We live on a major highway, too
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Even nicer then! Lol.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

This morning I woke up very early, just around sunrise. I decided to go for a little walk and meditate sitting on a bench, between a nice little park and a large river. It's only ~5 mins walk from where I live and usually go there for running. This morning just sat there for ~20 mins with eyes open, focusing on reflections of the sun on the water surface. It was first time I did this as a sort of meditative exercise and I think I'll do more while the weather is still pleasant in the mornings.

My day at work started in a very good mood and I've been calm all day so far.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Sat for 20 minutes again today... around 5-6pm. Today I was scattered mentally, sort of all over the place. In and out of mindfulness. I found my thoughts drifting to things I'd like to do. It's hard to just halt in the middle of the day and get still sometimes. Even on a weekend. Seems my brain is reluctant to slow down even on the off days.
I didn't do my phone app meditation all weekend...although I continued it this morning. What I did realize yesterday after reading something that inspired me, sitting in stillness...breathing...listening ..allowing my thoughts to simply come forth was in a word...incredible. I was out and about, and I ended up sitting in my truck for about 10-15 minutes...just in a certain stillness. It was truly amazing..and rejuvenating.

I realized I need to simply "center" within myself...often. I have felt like my mind has been racing for days and days. I think I have been overcomplicating and needlessly stressing bout meditation and whether I am doing it right whilst in the "guided" process. I am not throwing that part out..but I will allow for the "simply allowing" as well....
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thinking about doing this online course on MM: Online Courses: Insight Meditation Center Registration opens on 9/29.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Thinking about doing this online course on MM: Online Courses: Insight Meditation Center Registration opens on 9/29.
That looks good! One of my friends attended on-site classes at this center and she really liked them.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Today wasn't the most successful for me in terms of meditation and staying focused, but I sat in the morning for 20 mins anyway. This time on the floor on my cushion and listened to this:
Brain Power | Brain Sync | Brainwave Meditation for Concentration

As some of you pointed out above, I think it's a good idea not to get discouraged if we don't feel up to practice or it's not going particularly well. Just try anyway
Old 08-26-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I find meditation is much easier in the morning before my mind gets busy. I have found myself much more open and willing in the morning and it is easier to fit it into a routine. So I'll be doing a morning meditation/salutation.
Good advice, almost all mediation instructions suggest meditating upon awakening or just before sleeping because that's when the mind is most receptive. Especially when you're new to it.

Good luck to all and count me in!

Old 08-26-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome, Will
Old 08-26-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Are any of you noticing something? There is a difference as I go through the day.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! So happy to see interest in this. My efforts have been sporadic so far, and I haven't found my groove yet, but I'm trying. Sometimes it goes better, sometimes worse, sometimes it doesn't.

I had the best session before an important meeting on Friday. Previously, I would've raced around anxiously, but I was able to sit down and center myself and felt SO much more in control afterwards! Sitting is hard on my back too, I have to prop myself up with so many pillows it's ridiculous.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Meditation is great. I have a real problem setting aside the time to do it though. I have learned that the best time to do any meditation or visualization is first upon awakening when the head isn't racing.
This thread is encouraging me to meditate. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

SnowDawg, go for it, you'll be glad you do! It's like with exercise, hard to set aside the time, but once you do, you never regret it.

Originally Posted by SnowDawg View Post
upon awakening when the head isn't racing
I wake up with my head racing. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. I wake up and my mind starts to race without any warm-ups. I am never able to sleep in or go back to sleep once the mind has been woken up. It's exhausting! It's slowly getting better now though.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Inchworm - what kind of difference do you notice?

Melki - very nice that you could have a good session before an important meeting and it helped. I often do this, too. I have to do many work-related meetings, presentations, and other stresses all the time, and mindfulness has been extremely beneficial in this context. I also often try to "space out" and have a quick session before major stressful events, in fact THIS is what had attracted me to mindfulness and meditation in the first place years ago.

SnowDawg - I think that "having no time" for meditation (and exercise) tends to be mostly an excuse we make to ourselves... not having 10-20 minutes a day, or every other day? I used to feel this way also, but realized from experience that most often the feeling of overwhelm is no more than an emotion. It's similar to procrastination, I've had huge procrastination issues. It's all in my head, not external reality is what overwhelms me most often, but myself.

This morning I did the same thing I reported earlier, went to that nice place by the river and sat on the bench for 30 mins looking at the water, with earphones only to time my session and no music this time.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good for you meditating is very calming i experiment with all types of music

Good luck