Notices

Do I Really Even Want to Be Sober?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I can honestly admit that I don't want to quit drinking. I like drinking, I enjoy the way I feel after a few glasses of wine, and if I could stick with a couple of glasses once in awhile I wouldn't give it another thought. The reason I have almost 3 months sober is that I take antabuse. There have been many times I would have drank if I could. I'm doing it for my health, for my finances, and to be totally honest, to try to lose weight and look decent again. Also because my daughter is proud of me for doing what I have to do to keep sober and I don't want to either disappoint her or have to lie to her. But I can't honestly say that I WANT to be sober.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I can honestly admit that I don't want to quit drinking. I like drinking, I enjoy the way I feel after a few glasses of wine, and if I could stick with a couple of glasses once in awhile I wouldn't give it another thought. The reason I have almost 3 months sober is that I take antabuse. There have been many times I would have drank if I could. I'm doing it for my health, for my finances, and to be totally honest, to try to lose weight and look decent again. Also because my daughter is proud of me for doing what I have to do to keep sober and I don't want to either disappoint her or have to lie to her. But I can't honestly say that I WANT to be sober.
If your health, finances, appearance, and relationship with your daughter have improved in sobriety, why exactly would you want to be drunk? Do you not care about those things?

Alcohol is telling you a bunch of lies in my opinion. You are romanticizing something you obviously have had a very unhealthy relationship with in the past, normal drinkers do not take antabuse nor would that even be a thought on their horizon.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm just being honest. In a world where I could drink responsibly I would choose to. I know I can't and shouldn't, so I don't, but that doesn't mean I don't wish I could. The fact that I have to take antabuse to stay sober is proof enough that I can't do it on my own right now. I just hate the idea that I have to say that I can NEVER do something again that I enjoy. And I'm not talking about getting seriously drunk. As I said, I would like to be able to drink responsibly again but I probably cannot.