Notices

Back on the wine to manage pain in foot !

Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on the wine to manage pain in foot !

Well as you can see from my name (Icandothis2013) I started this journey a year ago and had some success .. I didn't drink for five months last year but then in January started with the odd bottle of wine here and there and then , as we all know, this escalates .. So I am now back to,where I was (an average of 2 bottles of wine a day) . To add to everything , I have severe pain in my toe from arthritis and have seen endless doctors over the last week but no one has really been able to fix it. Drinking makes me be able to forget about it for a while . My son is away in camp and I am by myself. I am scared if what I might do.. Yesterday I drank three bottles of wine over the whole day just to knock myself out but now of course I have a sore toe AND a hangover! My work is suffering .. I feel lousy and I can't talk to anyone ( my friends all think I have still given up the booze) .Help !
Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You need to find a new Dr. I suffer from both gout and rheumatoid arthritis. With proper medical care, diet, no booze and yes, responsible use of anti-inflammatory and pain killing drugs, these got significantly better. This is certainly manageable for me. Alcohol, I cannot manage.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is a huge variety of otc pain relievers. Try some of them and hopefully something will work. You can get back to your recovery if you want to.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As you've learned drinking only make the problem, any problem worse! I would try and focus on the drinking problem and the toe issue will sort it self out. When I was using it didn't matter what, I would find a reason to drink! Have you tried AA or another program of recovery?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol increases the inflammation in your body and will only make your arthritis worse in the long run. I agree, find a doctor to help you manage the pain. Take care of yourself.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like gout but should see a Dr. Gout cannot be fixed by drinking. Drinking is one of the major causes. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
Well as you can see from my name (Icandothis2013) I started this journey a year ago and had some success .. I didn't drink for five months last year but then in January started with the odd bottle of wine here and there and then , as we all know, this escalates .. So I am now back to,where I was (an average of 2 bottles of wine a day) . To add to everything , I have severe pain in my toe from arthritis and have seen endless doctors over the last week but no one has really been able to fix it. Drinking makes me be able to forget about it for a while . My son is away in camp and I am by myself. I am scared if what I might do.. Yesterday I drank three bottles of wine over the whole day just to knock myself out but now of course I have a sore toe AND a hangover! My work is suffering .. I feel lousy and I can't talk to anyone ( my friends all think I have still given up the booze) .Help !
Back on the wine to manage foot pain?
I think I would feel better if you were able to accept that you are back on the wine because you wanted to drink...because you have a drinking problem.
Did the arthritis just start in January...and it flared up .."now and then" ..so you had a bottle now and then ..and then the pain became daily ..so you started drinking daily?
Did your problem with alcohol start when you got arthritis?

I think you know where I am going with all this.

I am sorry that you are suffering with the toe..but please get medical help for that..not self-help (aka your addiction).

I lost months of sobriety too. I went back on the wine to manage the pain of loneliness.

Alcohol is about a good an answer for loneliness as it is for arthrtis.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank to manage the pain in my knees and lower back pain but it made a bigger problem then the pain in my knees and back. After I would wake up after a night of drinking I still had the same pain. It didn't go away sometimes it was even worse the alcohol just numbed it for the short period of time then the alcohol numbed me for a even longer time.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You've opened up and admitted to yourself that after taking that first drink it wasn't long before your drinking degenerated to where it was when you last decided to quit.

Remember all the reasons you quit for last year, and try again. The first step is admitting we are powerless over alcohol... (I'll let you finish the rest).

You will find support here if you rededicate yourself to a life without alcohol. It's no secret, we've all been there, and the foot pain is just the excuse of the day. When I was drinking I could come up with dozens of reasons, all the while knowing that my drinking had become excessive and was detrimental to my health and relationships. It took a decision to seek out support in all it's forms and all have helped me maintain a sober life.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wait a minute....unless I missed something doesn't gout make your big toes hurt?
And the way to stop aggravating the pain is to not drink?

That's(big toe pain) what became FIL's problem and his doctor recommended no booze, seafood and several other things he loved.
His pain is not there till he purposely and knowingly has drinks and certain foods.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Icandothis, for me my bodily pain increased substantially when i was drinking heavily / daily.

Maybe not when i was drunk, but sure enough my back pain was much worse the next day, my feet were swollen and red all of the time looked worse each day, joint pain was terrible, blood vessels were making my face bright red... Man, I sound like one ugly guy when i was drinking, LOL.

You have done it before. Sobriety will help alleviate pain brought on by excessive drinking. Any other pain that will not subside, go see a doctor.

Drinking only makes anything and EVERYTHING worse, i don't care what kind of pain it is (physical or emotional), it will get worse with drinking.

You know what you have to do.

Best of luck, we are here for you.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Are you sure it is not gout instead of your arthritis?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol EXACERBATES inflammation.

but drunken logic of course is the answer. 3 bottles of wine a day is not helping you at all.

good thing your child that you are responsible for is at camp. what about when they return?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Na...we have plenty of excuses to drink. I had hundreds. The wine is most certainly making the toe problem worse. I recommend picking yourself up and trying again. You will feel better all over-how did you feel during your 5 months? You've done it before, and you can do it again.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I too have inflammation/auto immune issues. Jessica Blacks Anti-inflammatory diet!!! Get it ....restriction #1 alcohol.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA member

Pain in your toe could be due to gout.It is not an excuse to drink,this will only make every bad situation worse,especially any inflammation.

Make a decision to stay away from the first drink,make another appointment with the Doctor to sort out some pain relief.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It is the nature of addiction to believe the cause of the problem is the solution to the problem.

Wine is not the solution to your foot problems. It's a lie. I highly recommend that you stop believing the lie your addiction is telling you.

You can do this.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You can turn this around and create a new Sober future for yourself!!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hope you get sorted soon!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Do the Dr's know about how much you are drinking? The pain may be due to alcoholic neuropathy. I am currently experiencing this in my hands and arms. Just like you drinking makes it go away.