Notices

I've realised I just have to stop!

Old 08-10-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ukcarl View Post
Hey everyone, my names Carl and I'm from the UK and have had a problem with drink since my early teens.

Basically last night was the final straw and I need to get my life under control I went out after drinking 8 cans of lager at home, I went on spent £30+ while I was out so I can only assume I drank roughly another 10 pints.

As a result the following things happened:

* I got in a fight with 2 guys this resulted in a fat lip and I'm aching today
* I blacked out and have no idea where I was between midnight and 5am
* I woke up out side my house half naked lying on the floor behind a neighbours car
* I lost my house keys and had to wake my dad up at 5am to drive up to my house and bring me a spare key (was not impressed and looked quite ashamed)
* I also undoubtedly made a complete fool of myself in the pub

Its not the way I want to continue living my life and I need to change, every problem in my life is a result of drinking to excess and the above is a common occurrence and often much worse than this. In fact it has caused me hundreds of huge problems in my life some of the worst things include:

* 4 months in prison after a drunken fight
* many nights in a police cell for drunken disorderly
* banned from driving twice
* broke relationships
* Fired from a good job for turning up drunk
* fights and arguments with friends and family

And the list goes on.

Its not fair on my partner and my daughter and it is also affecting my business life, my health and family relationships.

I've tried many times to quit and the best I ever lasted was 2 months, but this time I really need it to be forever.

I hope that joining the community here at Sober Recovery will help with my goal of complete sobriety.

Carl
Hi Carl and welcome! Folk from all over the world on here to support you!
I am 10 days into sobriety and these guys have been a rock to me!

You can do this!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

If negative consequences alone would have been enough for me to stop drinking and to have stayed stopped, I wouldn't have been drinking for as long as I did. Nor would I have relapsed for three years.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think I'll just tell them, they are all aware that I am a problem drinker, they even refer to me as Hyde when I've had to much to drink as a joke.

I was considering saying I'm taking a few months off to get in better shape, but I'm not sure though, as that kinda feels like I'm saying its not forever, it might be better to just bite the bullet and say I've quit
Looking back I have been attempting to normalise my behaviour by saying all of my mates were big drinkers. They were on occasion but they can stop and go home. I can't. They certainly haven't been involved in some of the scrapes I have and my list is similar to yours.

Only you can decide mate, but telling your friends might add extra support and accountability. The fitness one gives you an instant opt out when your friends wave that well meaning pint under your nose and it's going to be harder to stay strong....just a thought
Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Carl. Your laundry list of problems sounds a lot similar to mine, especially the blackout stuff. I once required facial surgery after a bad blackout where I mouthed off to the wrong person. Apparently undeterred, I had another regrettable 2 years of drinking and blackouts after that too. I also lost a good job because of irresponsible absenteeism related to drinking.

SR is a great resource, it has helped me get a nice stretch of sobriety and always tons of support. You can quit this for good, you just need to make a good plan and put effort into it.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Carl,

That was one rough weekend. The worst part, if it's possible to pick one, was like you said, having to call home for the key. I used to tear my house apart looking for keys, knowing I HAD to have had them to get into the house, yet having no memory of actually coming through the door or going to sleep......I could not find the keys. Then my wife would find them something ridiculous, and I'd make up some quick lie.."Oh yeah, I put them there ....."

(very recently by the way, I am only a couple of weeks clean for the first time ever)

Hey, you and your Dad just might look back on that as the best day in both of your lives. It's up to you now.

By the way, there are other meeting to attend. In my experience AA was not overtly religious unless you wanted it to be.

The only other meetings I have attended are Smart Recovery meetings. They are non religious.

I just googled: Smart Recovery UK Meetings

4th link had the UK meetings, I checked and saw a few in Leeds. Just passing along the information.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I was considering saying I'm taking a few months off to get in better shape, but I'm not sure though, as that kinda feels like I'm saying its not forever, it might be better to just bite the bullet and say I've quit.
UKCarl, errrrr, I don't know why nobody has spoken up in response to this, but YOU GET IT. You understand right there what this is all about. You understand what you are able to do, and you also understand what it is you must do.

I agree so much with this, that saying I QUIT, DONE, FINITO, COMPLI is a decision which, once made, will immediately flood you with a tremendous feeling of relief. If you don't get a little giddy over this, you know you haven't quit for good.

Once you do this, you will know, in a deep and profound way, that all of that misery is behind you, never to be visited upon you and yours, ever again. You can do it, you deserve it, and if you decide, you shall have it. Onward!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I've been reading up a lot on AVRT and I have to say, the idea seems very appealing to me so I have decided, that I'm gonna make this happen
Old 08-11-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Carl. You can do this. Congratulations on making decision to quit. It is a powerful choice and you never have to have another weekend like this past one.

Lots of great support here. One of the keys to helping me was reading as many past threads here on SR as i could.

The more I read, the less alone I felt. I just kept hearing my same story again and again, over an over...

Good luck, glad you are with us.