Notices

I've realised I just have to stop!

Old 08-10-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've realised I just have to stop!

Hey everyone, my names Carl and I'm from the UK and have had a problem with drink since my early teens.

Basically last night was the final straw and I need to get my life under control I went out after drinking 8 cans of lager at home, I went on spent £30+ while I was out so I can only assume I drank roughly another 10 pints.

As a result the following things happened:

* I got in a fight with 2 guys this resulted in a fat lip and I'm aching today
* I blacked out and have no idea where I was between midnight and 5am
* I woke up out side my house half naked lying on the floor behind a neighbours car
* I lost my house keys and had to wake my dad up at 5am to drive up to my house and bring me a spare key (was not impressed and looked quite ashamed)
* I also undoubtedly made a complete fool of myself in the pub

Its not the way I want to continue living my life and I need to change, every problem in my life is a result of drinking to excess and the above is a common occurrence and often much worse than this. In fact it has caused me hundreds of huge problems in my life some of the worst things include:

* 4 months in prison after a drunken fight
* many nights in a police cell for drunken disorderly
* banned from driving twice
* broke relationships
* Fired from a good job for turning up drunk
* fights and arguments with friends and family

And the list goes on.

Its not fair on my partner and my daughter and it is also affecting my business life, my health and family relationships.

I've tried many times to quit and the best I ever lasted was 2 months, but this time I really need it to be forever.

I hope that joining the community here at Sober Recovery will help with my goal of complete sobriety.

Carl
Old 08-10-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Carl!!

You'll find loads of support from many like minded people here on SR!!

It's great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. You'll find a lot of support and useful info here. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a great place to come for support, help and advice. X
Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey mate,
Welcome to the forum. I've got a young family like yourself and eventually had to take the plunge and stop drinking. I had a really bad night not so long ago and decided enough was enough.
Keep the faith,
Bruno.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Carl! This is a good place to be if you'd like to get and stay sober.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Carl. SR is an excellent resource. You'll find tons of support and encouragement here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Have you considered a program for recovery?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome carl this is a great site
Old 08-10-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Carl I'm really looking forward to reading how great you're feeling, this time next week
Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Carl.

I hope you find the support from the good folks here as useful as it is for me.
SR changed my life, knowing we are not alone in our struggle is so refreshing.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Carl, my list of drunken transgressions has everything yours does except a prison term. However, I did face an assault charge in court that was thankfully discharged, but it could have gone the other way.

These things are not normal. It took me far too long to realize this. I feel for you because I have been there too. Alcohol has brought complete chaos and destruction to my life.

Reaching out for help is the first step. This site is a great tool but you also need to involve those close to you. I'm rooting for you!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree that reaching out is essential We are the lucky ones - we have the awareness of a problem having developed and also the strength to 'do' something about it.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words, Im sure with the support of the community here I can make it this time

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Welcome! Have you considered a program for recovery?
Hey little fish, not really given any programs any thought, not really interested in meetings or AA, I'm not at all religious and not into the whole spirituality thing, I'm sure it works for some, but its not for me.

My plan is to just fill the time with different things I enjoy like spending time with family, going to the gym more, playing tennis and really getting stuck into work, I have my own business so there is always things I can be doing to keep busy.

The toughest thing is the majority of my good friends are big drinkers so its often hard to avoid. Any tips for dealing with this are welcome.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Carl, welcome to SR.

It's a good site here! Loads of support. You CAN do this

Is telling your mates you are off the drink an option or at least avoiding them for a while whilst you work on your recovery?
Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you Carl. SR saved me from a lifetime of drinking. It was such a relief to not feel alone anymore.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey Carl, welcome to SR.

It's a good site here! Loads of support. You CAN do this

Is telling your mates you are off the drink an option or at least avoiding them for a while whilst you work on your recovery?
I think I'll just tell them, they are all aware that I am a problem drinker, they even refer to me as Hyde when I've had to much to drink as a joke.

I was considering saying I'm taking a few months off to get in better shape, but I'm not sure though, as that kinda feels like I'm saying its not forever, it might be better to just bite the bullet and say I've quit
Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

It definitely sounds to me like you're making the right choice.

This is a great step to take, and a tough one at that. It'll get a bit harder still... as you hold to this choice and work to honor it and break long-ingrained habits.

You'll need support and you may even need some medical support depending how long this level of consumption has gone on and how your body reacts.

I really recommend getting yourself into AA and committing to give it an honest and full-on shot with the goal of learning as much as you can about how addiction works and surrounding yourself with others who are also on the sober path - who understand and who have been there and done that. It was a tremendous help to me and to many others.
I'm glad you're here
Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ukcarl View Post
Thanks for all the kind words, Im sure with the support of the community here I can make it this time

Hey little fish, not really given any programs any thought, not really interested in meetings or AA, I'm not at all religious and not into the whole spirituality thing, I'm sure it works for some, but its not for me.

My plan is to just fill the time with different things I enjoy like spending time with family, going to the gym more, playing tennis and really getting stuck into work, I have my own business so there is always things I can be doing to keep busy.

The toughest thing is the majority of my good friends are big drinkers so its often hard to avoid. Any tips for dealing with this are welcome.

If you are steadfastly against religion, I would strongly suggest digging your head in to the Secular Connections section of this forum. AVRT may be right for you.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Carl.