Notices

Saving you and getting sober/ or harm reduction

Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saving you and getting sober/ or harm reduction

So you've decided to get sober, now what? A 12 step program, Rational Recovery, harm reduction network, rehabilitation? So many options out there, I am early in recovery and have am still looking into all the world has to offer me in recovery. Medication aided recovery, non medication options.... I mean we live in a world of choices, we've all made at least one bad choice for some time ( drinking), lest we wouldn't be here. Of course, unless you're one of the luck folks here to support someone that drinks is an alcoholic ( hate the term alcoholic with all my being, but accept it as being what or who I am in an abstract sense), but if want to use a less degrading term ( do).

Much is out there, maybe you've heard alcohol is a disease. That is certainly one view, and one ( for my recovery I hold) because of my thinking type and the way I operate. However, don't let the word disease scare you, if that isn't the way you think.

( WARNING IF YOU ARE GOING TO QUIT FIRST AND FOREMOST WITHDRAWL CAN KILL IF SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF DETOX IE SHAKING GET A DETOX CENTER ASAP NO INSURANCE GO TO THE HOSPITAL) Now for quitting, plan your quit, prepare for quitting. Have things at the ready to prepare for your quit, a support group ( friends, family counseling), things to fill your time (meetings, church, events, a game to play) doesn't really matter what but prepare to occupy your time fully.

Briefly harm reduction, HAMS, is a method some might be exploring, I caution you, if this is the route of recovery you are pursuing, its slippery slope. Abstinence, isn't the only method, but certainly the one with the least amount of risk. However, I want to lay out all the options, so I writing about it here.
What is quitting going to feel like, it might hurt, anxiety might happen ( in my case extreme gut wrenching anxiety and panic attacks), depression, guilt, cravings, and so forth. Map out the things that might effect you and once you're quit keep in your mind the things that are effecting you. Always be vigilant of how you are feeling, and know that life might be less than optimal for a time.

If you have a doctor tell them you are quitting and ask for advice, and or medication (depending on there opinion) and listen to what they say.

Finally, many are going to proffer opinions, some of them you're going to like some you're not going to like. Don't worry they are just opinions in world of opinions, one of the longest long-timers I ever met ( had lots of sober time), but I never did care for much of what he said. Honestly, he didn't speak to me on any level.... Later upon quitting I found people with less sober, but spoke to me on a level that really made an impression upon me. No matter what find someone, something, whatever that you can speak to work with that you relate to.

The journey is going to be long and hard, I know I am just a short time in myself, but these are some of the things I have learned. TDG out stay safe and sober. With that good day to you and thanks for reading.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally something like HAMS would not work. There is no reduction with Alcohol for me. All or nothing, I simply can't reduce.

Plus I would still be putting poison in my poor body that I abused for so long.

As for the multitude of other solutions, you can try until you find one that works.

For me, I need them all. I take what I like from each one and make this my toolset.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

TDG - you need to start yourself a 'blog' PLOP! as you've got yourself some followers.

Glad to read that you are safe and sober.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you were listing options TDG but one of your opinions could be a dangerous one.

We don't encourage harm minimisation here because it conflicts with the medical advice rule.

I don't encourage harm minimisation, myself in any case unless in the opinion of your Dr it's the right way to go - and even then I'd get a second opinion.

Alcohol detox is just too dangerous for do it yourself approaches IMO.

D
Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TDG I truly hope that you are able to whittle your way through recovery into the years ahead. May we all. I am here as a means to support my abstinence which I find by hearing the personal experiences of others in their struggle. Bright blessings.