Notices

New to group

Old 08-05-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to group

Hi. This is my first post on SoberRecovery. I have been struggling with alcoholism for 10 years and, despite AA, multiple rehabs, therapy, etc. have been unable to stay sober. Over the last year or so, my pattern seems to be getting worse: don't drink for 1-2 months, then a 5 day, 24/7 binge drunk. I am not going to AA currently - find I have resentments against it. I did work a good, honest, thorough problem for years, but it didn't help much and people seemed to just give up on me after so many relapses. I find now that I really need a community of people who understand so I'm asking for help here. Today is 15 days without a drink, and I want to keep moving forward! Thanks for any input.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Ejash. We do understand and help is here, congrats on 15 days. For me it's all about honesty and accountability. No program will work for you if you don't accept to your core that you cannot ever pick up another drink. I blamed everything under the sun for years and finally realized that the only thing keeping me from getting sober was me.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Noob ;-)

Welcome EJASH! I'm also new to the group, but received a seriously warm welcome from this community. I already feel at home.

This is just a suggestion, and I don't know if you have already tried or considered it, but I'm taking "Disulfiram", which is helping me move past the overwhelming urges to drink, so I can get on with life. It's helped me bank 10 weeks (and 2 days) sober. If you think it could work for you, maybe you can ask your doctor about it?

Once I sobered up (which is only chopping at the branches of my problem), I was able to start fixing the things that were ultimately bringing me down (the roots).

Welcome and congrats on 15 days. :-)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I drank like you, only the benders became closer and closer together until it was one big blur of a drunken mess.
Drinking every day or until the hangover was gone, then back at it full steam.
Do you have any idea what sets you off after a period of sobriety?
I know I didn't have a clue. I powerless.
Alcohol has a progressive component, and it did with me, until I was a seemingly hopeless drunk.
There are other methods of sobriety, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with them.
It took almost dying for me. I hope you can quit before you reach the horrors I did.
You'll find a lot of support here, so please keep reading and posting.
Best to you.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, NeilJ. I actually take Disulfiram, which is a tremendous help! My problem is that my mind gets crazy and i stop taking it from time to time. This tells me I do have a choice...I've just made the wrong one in the past. Congrats on your 10 weeks (and 2 days)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on your 10 days, fantastic! And your first post here, people are great and plenty of support available.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ejash!!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Guess it is mainly loneliness and depression that can set me off, but I am definitely powerless and my mind can rationalize any excuse. For now, I'm just taking baby steps: forcing myself to do things with friends and family, doing journal and meditation, praying! I know it will get better--I've been on the other side, but right now it is hard...
Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ejash I see you're in AL... me too. I used to live in Birmingham.