Notices

My alcoholic mind!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My alcoholic mind!!!

It's 9:30 in the morning and I was just driving to the grocery for our weekly shopping. I notice a bar that I've never been to and haven't been kicked out of really close to my house. How did I miss that????

One week ago today (my sobriety date), I got banned from the very last bar close to my house. I guess they must think I drink too much??? Haha. I guess they don't like people passing out in their bathrooms and puking in their bars. (I know, not funny but I would rather laugh than cry).

ANYWAY.....so I just noticed a bar within walking distance of my house that I haven't been banned from! Ugh! SHUT UP addictive voice! You suck!

P.S. I was a binge bar drinker. Never drank alone. Never drank at home. Liked to drink with other drunks. Very expensive and causes DUI's! Ugh!

Ugh! I will NOT go into that bar!!!!!!! Just has to tell on my disease!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-31-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There will always be bars and there will always be excuses to drink for us alcoholics. What are you doing besides not drinking to strengthen your sobriety?

Congratulations on one week! Keep it up!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Serenidad, stay strong!! This will pass but you have to not engage with the "voice" telling you these lies. Try to get out and alter your thoughts until your AV shuts up! I know this is one of the toughest parts but it does get easier with time.

Congratulations on one week sober. Make tomorrow one week and one day!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Go the bar - make a flyer with a picture of yourself. Tell the bar owner you have a twin that looks exactly like you and here's her picture. Advise them that while you don't drink, should they ever see HER in here to immediately ask her to leave as she as some really bad drinking habits and has been banned all around town!

You post such great things for others - just popped into my pea brain for some reason. Don't mean to be out of line, but maybe it would be a constant reminder that you have banned yourself from the new place!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are going to face these situations for the rest of your life. Learn how to deal with it now - crush the thought - and move on.
I like the idea of a "NOT WANTED" poster.
WARNING! DO NOT SERVE THIS PERSON!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a bar literally about 20 steps away from the front door of my building. It's a bar that is frequented entirely by locals and regular customers. I have embarrassed myself beyond belief at this place. I have vomited in there, walked in drunk and unshowered at noon, and started fights. I would drink alone in my apartment and head over there when I ran out of booze or felt drunk enough to be social and end up spending a shitload of money on shots for everyone. I don't think they would ever ban me cuz of the money I spend there $100 min usually.

I pass by it often when I am on a sober streak and people will call my name out from the patio and wave. I have no idea who they are but I am sure I probably drank with them and bought them shots. I hate that there is a Mr Hyde version of me that prowls the town giving the real me a bad reputation. Never again!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Here's an idea that I used to do when I was spending to much money.

I froze my credit cards in a bowl of ice.... Weird weird I know. I was thinking how this could be adapted to your situation... Hmmm... Do you live alone or with someone else? If you live with someone else, make sure they have a majority of your money and only give you the money that you NEED for the day. Then freeze the cards in ice. That way... You may very well still get to them but it'll take a hell of a lot more effort and definitely give you time to think your decision through.

For me, I never really had much REAL money to spend. It was all on credit cards but if I had them available, I'd use them. Still wanted them around incase of emergencies though.

Just a thought! No money to buy alcohol... No alcohol!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can make it past the bar. Just remember what happened in all the other ones. It's a forgone conclusion. So why bother?
I was banned from many bars, too. Most of them I don't know why because I was in a blackout. Scary stuff. Bars used to be my home. I even liked the smell of them. Heck, they were home as I was always in them when not at home getting drunk.
It's sad to see the pity in the bartenders' eyes while I sat there getting wasted and wasting my life.
Oh the stories I could tell, but I shall demure.
I sincerely hope you put sobriety first and save yourself. Best to you.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
Here's an idea that I used to do when I was spending to much money.

I froze my credit cards in a bowl of ice.... Weird weird I know. I was thinking how this could be adapted to your situation... Hmmm... Do you live alone or with someone else? If you live with someone else, make sure they have a majority of your money and only give you the money that you NEED for the day. Then freeze the cards in ice. That way... You may very well still get to them but it'll take a hell of a lot more effort and definitely give you time to think your decision through.

For me, I never really had much REAL money to spend. It was all on credit cards but if I had them available, I'd use them. Still wanted them around incase of emergencies though.

Just a thought! No money to buy alcohol... No alcohol!
I did the exact same thing. LOL. Too bad for me once you take the frozen credit cards out of the freezer, they thaw and the can still function... In all seriousness, it is a great idea and helped me back in the day!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't go to that new bar! They DON'T want you! lol...and if you are there, you won't be here...

or if you are there...then you will be here the next morning feeling miserable and hating yourself...

you are worth so much more, Serenidad...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
I did the exact same thing. LOL. Too bad for me once you take the frozen credit cards out of the freezer, they thaw and the can still function... In all seriousness, it is a great idea and helped me back in the day!
Yeah it's a goofy idea. But when I wanted money for something useless, I wanted it immediately. So thawing took to long and chipping away the ice was also not an easy task. Haha It gave me time to think and I would get over it.

I'm very impulsive sometimes
Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Go the bar - make a flyer with a picture of yourself. Tell the bar owner you have a twin that looks exactly like you and here's her picture. Advise them that while you don't drink, should they ever see HER in here to immediately ask her to leave as she as some really bad drinking habits and has been banned all around town! You post such great things for others - just popped into my pea brain for some reason. Don't mean to be out of line, but maybe it would be a constant reminder that you have banned yourself from the new place!!!
Haha LOVE it Flynbuy! I was also thinking I could sew my mouth shut! I'd probably figure out a way to inject it or something though. Haha. Just kidding. Thx for the compliment on my posts. I just really don't want to drink again and am willing to do whatever it takes even if it means posting here constantly. I am doing SR, AA, AVRT, Urge Surfing, HALT, prayer, lots and lots of exercise etc. I just need as many tools as I can at all times!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree LBrain and Gotgrace! Alcohol is freaking everywhere! Bars are everywhere too! The strange thing is....I will NOT drink unless I am IN A BAR with others who drink just like me. I think I'm actually addicted to the BAR as much as I am the alcohol. Weird, huh?

# 14 (permalink)  

Yeah it's a goofy idea. But when I wanted money for something useless, I wanted it immediately. So thawing took to long and chipping away the ice was also not an easy task. Haha It gave me time to think and I would get over it.

I'm very impulsive sometimes
... and i thought i was the only one crazy enough to use that idea. Too funny!
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thx ccam! Love your positive post!!! :-)

Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
There is a bar literally about 20 steps away from the front door of my building. It's a bar that is frequented entirely by locals and regular customers. I have embarrassed myself beyond belief at this place. I have vomited in there, walked in drunk and unshowered at noon, and started fights. I would drink alone in my apartment and head over there when I ran out of booze or felt drunk enough to be social and end up spending a shitload of money on shots for everyone. I don't think they would ever ban me cuz of the money I spend there $100 min usually. I pass by it often when I am on a sober streak and people will call my name out from the patio and wave. I have no idea who they are but I am sure I probably drank with them and bought them shots. I hate that there is a Mr Hyde version of me that prowls the town giving the real me a bad reputation. Never again!
Boy do I relate to your post wastinglife! You sound like someone I would have drank with! Never again for me either!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's an idea that I used to do when I was spending to much money. I froze my credit cards in a bowl of ice.... Weird weird I know. I was thinking how this could be adapted to your situation... Hmmm... Do you live alone or with someone else? If you live with someone else, make sure they have a majority of your money and only give you the money that you NEED for the day. Then freeze the cards in ice. That way... You may very well still get to them but it'll take a hell of a lot more effort and definitely give you time to think your decision through. For me, I never really had much REAL money to spend. It was all on credit cards but if I had them available, I'd use them. Still wanted them around incase of emergencies though. Just a thought! No money to buy alcohol... No alcohol!
Great idea Rosie88! I cut all my credit cards up and only have a debit card for gas, food etc for my family. I think for me I just need to make up my mind that living sober is what I want more than anything! I feel that I have finally made that decision! If I want alcohol that bad I am sure I can find it without even having money...ya know?

I could sit on the side of the road with a sign that says "Help! I'm an alcoholic and I don't want to get sober! Can you give me money so I can go to a bar and get drunk?" Lol. Do you think that would work? :-/ Kidding of course. ;-)

Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
You can make it past the bar. Just remember what happened in all the other ones. It's a forgone conclusion. So why bother? I was banned from many bars, too. Most of them I don't know why because I was in a blackout. Scary stuff. Bars used to be my home. I even liked the smell of them. Heck, they were home as I was always in them when not at home getting drunk. It's sad to see the pity in the bartenders' eyes while I sat there getting wasted and wasting my life. Oh the stories I could tell, but I shall demure. I sincerely hope you put sobriety first and save yourself. Best to you.
Thx Ghost! Wow, now that I think about it, those bartenders were looking at ME with pity too! What a loser I must have looked like sitting there by myself gulping down poison! :-/

Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjuly View Post
Don't go to that new bar! They DON'T want you! lol...and if you are there, you won't be here... or if you are there...then you will be here the next morning feeling miserable and hating yourself... you are worth so much more, Serenidad...
I won't SoberJuly. I promise. Besides...it's a fancy place and I don't want to get dressed up! Haha.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

They're only thoughts Serenidad!! . . . you don't need to act on them, you get to choose and have the control back in your life through Sobriety!!

Keep pushing through!!