Notices

Need to stop drinking

Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop drinking

It's been a long time since I've posted but I'm back my life is going down so fast with alcohol it's not even funny. It's effecting everything my relationship my work time with my son. As I'm posting this in hung over at work. It's like a nightmare that I just want to wake up from. Friday nights I drink to the point of no return then I'm useless Saturday. Sick and tired of wasting my days away. Every other day I have to drink. I get some kind of high just going to the store and taking that case of beer out of the cooler . Just going to the store i feel excited that I'm getting beer. So today is my day one my journey to become sober because I need to do this I can't just have one . After that 1 I can't stop . Go to someone's house they offer you a beer you try to take it slow so no one will suspect any thing then on your way home you have to stop and get a case of beer and drink until you pass out its just no way to live life. Alcohol is ruining my life and I need a overhaul. I need a lot of help it's just tough when you don't get much support from anyone .
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back to the Forum!! You can do this!!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You say you don't receive much support? Do you attend meetings? There is face to face support at AA and Celebrate Recovery, have you given those a try? Are you honest with your family about wanting to stop? Are you willing to actually work recovery?

You don't have to answer, these are just more things to ask yourself. I hear you. You want this to work. You can achieve it. Put your pride down, don't worry about telling people you don't drink. Surround yourself with people who don't drink in the beginning to make it easier on you. Set goals, and do everything within your might to attain them.

You are not alone, SR is here to support you. You can do this!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally understand where you are coming from... Days that I decide I'm going to drink, I watch the clock counting down the minutes until I can run to the store. I get excited with anticipation, and by the next morning, I'm back to being miserable and anxious, wondering why I was ever excited about it in the first place. I'm missing out on my time with my kids, I'm doing terrible at work, and my husband and I are ALWAYS fighting. I agree, it's no way to live.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I've told my girlfriend I'm going to quit so many times that she dosent believe me and already knows I'm going to end up drinking anyways. And I think a should give AA a try .
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She does not believe you b/c that is what has happened in the past. The only way you can earn that trust back is with behavior. You sound resigned to that it is going to happen. Now you have to resign yourself to the fact that this is an internal war that you plan to win. You have to resign yourself that you will fight with all of your might, and it will be hard. Don't try to use your girlfriend as a sponsor. That is what AA is there for. There will be people there who understand what you are going through that can truly help you through it. If you try one group and it's not for you, try another until you find people you click with.

You are more than alcoholism. There are people who care about you who want you to be the best you can be, and that is sober. Once people realize you are taking sobriety seriously, they will do all they can to help you. You have a lot at steak, work for it, it will be worth it, I promise.
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know me and my girlfriend always argue mostly because of my drinking it gets in the way of everything. I don't understand why I keep drinking . Hangovers duck and once it's gone I want to drink again ? Makes no sense constant misery .
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back, foryoumyson.

I've posted elsewhere, I'm in early days of this attempt to stop for good, but what feels different for me this time is that I've finally realised that what we think alcohol offers us is only an illusion. It brings nothing positive, only bad stuff. I realised before on a logical level that it offered bad stuff, but I clung onto what I thought were the positives. This time I've properly realised there just are no positives to alcohol.

Stick with us!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No positives what so ever. At first it starts out as fun until you can't stop and have no control over your drinking .
Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
Well I've told my girlfriend I'm going to quit so many times that she dosent believe me and already knows I'm going to end up drinking anyways. And I think a should give AA a try .
do it! It will give you another great tool in your bag of tricks to beat this bastard.

Life is so much better without that cycle.

I know it all too well.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I could never control my drinking either. I know about the anticipation. At the end I couldn't wait for the liquor store to open at 8am. I'd start with a couple of shooters of whiskey to kick things in, then beer from there.
Then the next day, swearing it off, solemn vows and the anxiety that had me climbing the walls.
Then, after two or three days feeling better and hey! I can drink again.
I hope you don't reach the lows I did. It can be progressive.
Alcohol seems to be affecting your life in a severe way. My only option was to quit completely.
I went to AA, but I still drank. But it was never the same again. I felt guilty for drinking. And that guilt, along with what alcohol was doing to my body and life, made me quit.
It's been three and a half years sober for me now. You can do it, too.
Put the effort into stopping that you do into imbibing and recovering and you almost can't go wrong.
You're not alone. You can do it if you really try. I promise.
Best to you.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope with our support and the support from AA you can stop drinking for good this time.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay safe man. Make sure you get through the first week safely. Keep a close eye on yourself and how you feel because withdrawal can get really serious really fast. Don't feel afraid or ashamed to ask for help because I guarantee that everyone in your life wants to see you get better and will bend over backwards if you ask for their help. Stay safe and stay strong man!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know where you are coming from. For years I told myself every morning that I was going to quit drinking, and yet every night I could be found with a drink in my hand. That was a bad time in my life. When I decided to quit, it was in the morning and I knew it was different. I quit. I have not had a drink since. At first I had to really try. I wanted a drink. I told myself I would not drink unless someone poured it down my throat. No one ever did. I did not have any support outside of SR and my husband drinks every night. It has been hard at time, but so worth it. You can do this. It is a mind set. Please go to AA, work the steps, come here. We are all here for you.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't feel afraid or ashamed to ask for help because I guarantee that everyone in your life wants to see you get better and will bend over backwards if you ask for their help.
It takes all of us working on this together. I don't believe anyone can do this alone. Asking for help is always hard for me. However, every time I ask for help, I get people showing up. Today I've been feeling very lonely. I know isolation is bad for me, so I hit a meeting and told them what was going on with me (accountability), called a bunch of friends, texted, posted on here, worked on my hobby, and lots of TLC. Some days are easier for me, and some days are hard. What I have learned through my last relapse was to ask for help, tell someone what is going on, and help will arrive.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you again foryoumyson.

You sound disgusted with the drinking life - maybe this can be the end of it. We have to be ready. I finally realized the fun times would never come back - all I had was misery. Glad you are with us.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back foryoumyson

I think a successful recovery should include two things - support (and a willingness to use it) and some life changes (and a willingness to make those changes that will help you stay sober)

You'll get out of your recovery what you put into it
AA should be a good start.

keep posting here too

D