Notices

trying to find my way back

Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to find my way back

I am trying to walk this road once again. I had been c & s for over 20 years then a little glass of wine on vacation 4 or five (ashamed that I cannot even remember how long ago it has been) years ago knocked me off my path and into that endless circle of trying to find it all in the bottle.
Starting reading Creative Recovery last night and now trying to put one day of sobriety together.
I am almost 66 years old and have such a long list of unfulfilled accomplishments that I just don't even know where to start with those.
I am also being treated for depression and anxiety and am on xanax and wellbutrin to help control the valleys. Booze provided my peaks and I am just wanting a level field to walk down.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. I am so glad you are here. I joined yesterday and have already found strength from other members. Good for you that today you will be sober. You can't change the past four years but you are in control of today. You can do it! Please try and be proud of yourself for your decision to stop drinking and take it baby steps. Don't beat yourself for what is the past, there's nothing to gain from it. Please post, post, post! I am sending all of my strength and support to you. You can do this!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Froum jlaw!! Great to have you here!!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am new as well and have tried to quit two years ago. I too need to realize the past is the past and learn from it. One day sober is always better then a lifetime of being drunk.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, jlaw, Fiveyearssober and nodak88 You've come to a very supportive site
Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Jlaw. Glad you found SR, great support here.

20 years clean and sober is a huge accomplishment; I'm only on day 19... I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. Just get yourself back into the sober mode that you embraced for so long. I know that's easier said than done, but you can do it. You have felt the benefits of sobriety!

Best of luck!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
I am also being treated for depression and anxiety and am on xanax and wellbutrin to help control the valleys. Booze provided my peaks and I am just wanting a level field to walk down.
Welcome friend. So you were taking all of this whilst drinking? I can't imagine they would have been very effective. Alcohol is a potent punch of dopamine and serotonin..then your mixing it all up with other things that address those things also. Would make for some real wonky rhythms.

In sobriety, you will be able to adequately assess what your mind and soul truly needs. Perhaps you will need none of those things..maybe only one. When you put down the drink...you will be able to start sorting all that out.

Hope you stay with us my friend.