Notices

Last Night

Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Way to power through it ElleDee. I do love your avatar by the way. I'm destined to be a crazy cat guy when I'm older.

I'm on day 14 today (2 weeks sober when my head hits the pillow tonight), and keeping myself busy has been essential so far for me. I'm a super-adrenal guy, and my booze induced highs were awesome! So if I'm left to my own devices, I get bored, and them Mr. AV shows up, and suggests we make things......interesting. FT and JD nailed it in their posts.

So I've been concentrating on keeping Mr. Brain busy, and actively stretching him a bit. Because a Secular Recovery fits me a bit better, I've been researching more about the early days of the Christian faith, and other very interesting theological histories. I've done some volunteer work, and I've gotten a new boat (if you call a '91 new) that needs a little work. So I'm researching this. Spending money I would have spent on booze makes me happy.

And even last week when I was particularly low and felt like doing nothing, my oldest daughter and I watched the Pripyat/Picher episode of Forgotten Planet on Netflix. What a fascinating program.

Heck, reward yourself with a second hand digital SLR off eBay or CL. Go for walks and find interesting things to photograph. Research photography on the Internet. Really, I've never seen someone who doesn't like to capture life in a perfect way in a photo.

Possibilities are endless. Just pick one of those items off the "One day I'm going to________" list and do it.

You'll feel great, keep busy, and reduce those "alone with nothing to do except drink" opportunities.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Talking to sober friends... they have said similar things. Keeping busy is the key. I know if I plop on the sofa at night and watch a tv re-run that I'll start thinkin' about drinkin' again. So part of "the plan" is to avoid the sofa. As a matter of fact, part of the painting project is to get rid of my old ratty furniture. So the drinkin' couch will be GONE forever with the memories!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
Whew. This morning I'm really glad I didn't give in.
^^^^^ I don't think I exhaled until I read that line ED. I was scanning the sentences frantically hoping I was not going to get to any part where you ended up at the liquor store.

Whew is right. I can imagine it being hard making such a behavioural change around someone doing the same ole, same ole.

Growing and changing isn't easy....but it's doable.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
^^^^^

Growing and changing isn't easy....but it's doable.

I hate change.
But I know this is a change I have to make... if I want a HEALTHY and fulfilled life.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Props to you ElleDee!!! it's a tough one....how I have managed to enter the grocery store (that is literally 3 min walk from me) almost on a daily basis to get food and NOT pit stop at the "wine rack" there is beyond me. It's like I have blinders on and chant "I am here for FOOD...FOOD...FOOD"
I have a sinking suspicion that my last binge - I was a drunken mess with the lady so sheer embarrassment is also helping
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
I hate change.
But I know this is a change I have to make... if I want a HEALTHY and fulfilled life.

ElleDee,

Be sure to look at that statement and see it for what it is. That is pure AV talking -- you ALREADY made the change. You have self-identified as a non-drinker now, so there is no changing to be done. Your AV is talking at you as though you aren't "there" yet, but you are -- IF you really made up your mind to be a non-drinker.

OWN your decision, it is the new you. And this is a great new you. No more changes are necessary. Remember, once you have self-identified as a non-drinker, ALL decisions about alcohol are very very simple. Easy? Maybe not yet, but a no-brainer just the same.

When confronted with a decision to make about alcohol, you do what ALL other non-drinkers do -- something else.

Be proud of it, and OWN it. You go girl!

FT
Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Way to go ElleDee. I know boredom can be a tough one but it sounds like you've got a new plan to occupy your time for a bit. So glad to hear you didn't give in.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made the right choice ElleDee

D