Notices

Health Problems

Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health Problems

Hi Everybody,

In addition to the negative impact that alcohol has had on our personal/professional relationships, and our budgets, I'm wondering if any of you can share some of the alcohol related health problems that you suffered, and if those problems went away when you found sobriety...
Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm only new into this (54 days, relapsed, now on day 9) but the health problems I have had have been mental. My GAD has been enhanced, depression set in. Luckily my liver is ok, more bloods to do later today so we shall see how that goes.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My cholesterol went from 335 medicated to 189 unmedicated.

In less delicate matters I have noticed increased blood flow south of the border, better bowel functions and my hemorrhoids have calmed.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been taking Tamoxifen since my treatment for breast cancer and suffering through horribly embarrassing hot flashes that leave me drenched about 20-30 times a day...virtually gone since I stopped drinking 18 days ago! Also, blood pressure was horrendous and now is in a very acceptable range? Not to mention the 5 lbs I have lost during the past almost 3 weeks! It is worth it! Good luck!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Acid reflux cough
Aches and pains
Flare ups of arthritis pain
Leg cramps
Obesity
Lethargic
Bladder control problems

All of these are gone. Well, I am still slightly obese but I am working on it. 65 pounds gone so far.

I feel 300% better! I am alert and awake. No more foggy mornings where I felt like death warmed over.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All of my health issues cleared up within a matter of months, acid reflux, stomach pains etc etc
Old 07-22-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I am starting to have some liver issues. My doc said that stopping drinking would be a big help and the problems will mostly likely go away if I do stop. The liver is good at fixing itself and I have to stop beating it up with booze. Also I have Diabetes and all the empty calories/sugar from the alcohol is making it worse. Neither of the above may have been a direct result from drinking but stopping would improve my health a lot. So I try to keep that in mind when I get the urge to pick up.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Blood pressure back into normal range.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am 24 and 2 years ago was diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis. Didn't stop me from stopping drinking though! ---until now of course (6 days sober) I had another checkup 3 weeks ago and my liver in the CT scan showed some fatty tissue and high liver enzymes. (I drank ALOT since I was 21) This scared me to the point where I know I have to quit before I end up with liver failure or cirrhosis.

My anxiety and acid reflux got worse as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I have lingering anxiety, but I've had issues with that since long before I even started drinking years ago. My bp has returned to a normal range. I'm getting my cholesterol checked soon to see if that has improved. I feel certain it has as it always does when I stop drinking.