Notices

Storm clouds are raging

Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Ach

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but if you are defending your thesis please don't get too whipped up about that or the ritual drinking / smoking that typically occurs afterwords.

I've been on both sides of the table too often to count and the whole thing is rather
overrated and nothing to stress over. Yet another academic "rite o' passage" to complete with all the fanfare.

Just get through it and realize you did it (well done ) and it is over so you can move on to other things

If this isn't what your facing, sorry, but had a feeling it maybe was.

Best to you and don't let anything compromise your sobriety.
You are doing great--all else in life is better sober.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The experience of others and my own bear one truth--If I drink again I will have a horrible, painful life followed soon by a horrible, painful death--no stresses sober are worth the trade. Ach, I don't know you personally but I know intimately where your head is at right now. The eff-it feelings will pass--do whatever it takes till they do.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ach, just don't drink. If you want to turn your brain off, just read a book or watch some really inane TV, like "World's Dumbest Videos". Then turn in early.

You will be grossly disillusioned if you drink--and you may get yourself stuck again. It is definitely not worth it!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I'm also in a relationship with a sober alcoholic and I want to drink to end it. Don't know why.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Do you want her to do the dumping? Can't you just say, "Sorry, I'm not feeling it?"
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I hope you don't do it. But if you do, please let us know how it turns out and what kind of a time you had. I have yet to hear anyone "go back out" and say it was a good idea. Every time I have, and it was way too many times, it has always put me in the same (and worse) damn misery laden life !
Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ultimately your decision, you are an adult after all. I'm just saying you definitely will regret it and will wish to hell that you didn't. Remember our bodies cant take an infinite number of relapses, health and withdrawal gets worse each time.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This is dumb to think of drinking. I will really be an adult and stay sober. Why did I have to be born with this problem?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted here.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

yup, definitely a great idea posting here and being brutally honest (with yourself) about it.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sweetie, drinking is no way to end the relationship. I know you know that right? Please..please don't fall victim to the reason folks say "don't get into relationship" in the first year. Don't throw away your sobriety for a difficulty you can face but think you cannot. If she is a sober alcoholic, she should understand your sobriety comes first. Please don't sacrifice your sobriety because you feel responsible for hers. Her sobriety is her sobriety.

You chose to get into the relationship and you can choose to leave it right? You are allowed choices in this life hon. That's what adulthood is. You can do this. And you can NOT drink over it.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Acheleus -- I know it's sad and sick how the addiction attacks you when you're down or when you're up -- it has no mercy. But that doesn't mean you have to give in to it. Stay sober. Do you have anyone to talk to face to face about what you're going through with your relationship and this ordeal?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

As others have suggested here, play the tape through to the end. What do you think would be the outcome of drinking again? Are you under the delusion that it would be a one time thing or that you could moderate? That's exactly what that idea is: delusional. I think you know you'd be feeling nothing but shame and regret if you did it, and if you used it as the catalyst to end a dissatisfying relationship, you would feel ashamed and guilty about that, too.

I know from experience that big changes in life can make you feel vulnerable to drinking again. It was a job change after being sober for 2 years that freaked me out and I chose to drink again to "deal" with it. At first I moderated, but within a month I was drinking a 5th/day. That initiated 10 years of the worst drinking of my life. Don't do it. 9 months is a good chunk of time. Don't blow it over this. You'll get through it.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Acheleus, good to see you getting these thoughts unraveled and typed out on here. You know how twisted it is. That's nothing but addiction talking.

So... you're finishing up school, moving and there's a girl in your life. That's some heavy stuff. Anyone would be stressed to the max. Anyone.

Take it one step at a time. Breathe

Good to hear from you. You're doing amazingly well! Don't let this snag you. 1 YEAR is going to be awesome. Hang in there, friend!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You are 8 months sober going on 9. I am 8 days sober going on 9. As long as you've been sober this time, you know you'll want that sobriety again eventually - just remember how tough detox and early sobriety are! I know it's tempting to just say screw it and drink, wait for that seemingly magical "click" that turns off the brain and enables you to just float in that numb, painless cloud for awhile, but it's so brief and fleeting and less than a day later, you've lost all control and are back in the grips of painful addiction, craving and depression. You don't have to go there and I really believe you don't want to or you wouldn't have come here today and posted.

So proud for you that you have 8-9 months of awesome sobriety! Rooting and praying for you.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Stay strong, Ach. I got sober shortly before you did and I have read with great interest your posts. I can relate to many of the struggles that you have experienced over the last year.

I will be thinking good thoughts for you.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm a little ahead of you and can only say Don't Give Up! If you're in a cycle of starting and quitting, you'll only have to quit again, and the next time could very well be worse. We can do this!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ok I got through. Went and had coffee. I'm sober and feeling good. I am exhausted but happy. Drinking would only make me ashamed and disappointed in myself.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear Ach
Old 07-21-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)