Notices

Day 9 at Disneyland

Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 at Disneyland

And it felt like every adult at the Disneyland Hotel pool had a drink in their hand. I was clenching my jaw. I was like forget it, I can't do this with all this alcohol around me and I didn't think I would make it because I could hear justifications coming up in my head. That is how it starts...oh well I'm on vacation....

Anyhow...so I went to the gift shop and bought a Diet Coke, a water and a Mickey Mouse ice cream sandwich.

The gift shop had tons of alcohol, chilled white wine and etc.

Went back to the pool, told my husband "you don't know how hard it is being around all these people drinking". I didn't know if it was a statement or a plea. I think it was bordering on a plea.

I chugged down the soda, then the water. I still wanted a drink.

We returned to the room. I ordered room service as I was too tired to go out and where to? Downtown Disney is full of drunk people.

My husband had to go out and get our daughter milk and I told him to get me a smoothie with as many veggies as possible. He came back with a fruit and beet smoothie and a V-8.

The craving passed. It actually passed. Like I am fine now.

I used to always drink at Disneyland.

On to Day 10 tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job staying strong SoberJuly!

You strength is inspiring. We get tested early in sobriety and it can be so hard to pull through but we can and we show so much strength when we do. Think of how much better you are going to feel tomorrow, enjoying the rides, getting a churro, and all without a headache or hangover. I have also had some nailbiters early in my sobriety including one last night at a cabin with a hot tub. I was honestly in complete and utter shock that drinking was not an option for me. I had about five long minutes in utter disbelief before I trudged ahead, got in the darn hot tub (with teeth clenched) and actually had a pretty good night. We can surprise ourselves with how strong we are when we are determined and know what is best for us and what is off the table.

I am going to Disneyland next week! Will you let me know what rides are closed for maintenance? Have fun tomorrow!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good job. I had the exact opposite experience last time ad disney...I was actively drinking and couldn't find a drink for the life do me! Good luck on day 10, you are making real progress!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

@Melindaflowers...just the submarine ride. They are re-opening it in the fall.

@Scott...really? Lol....but seriously, I don't think I noticed it (other people drinking) so much before because I was hammered.

But, another thing I noticed today, the adults getting sloshed looked really unhealthy.

Yes, not waking up with a hangover = wonderful!

Those Magic Mornings never felt so magical when I had to wake up at 6am. What kid wants to sleep in at Disneyland? Never gonna happen.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

9 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I'm on day 8, and it's so hard to see people drinking and having fun in the summer. What you said about all the people drinking looking unhealthy is a big help to me. I think about the way I feel after, even a couple hours after drinking, and it's gross. Then I think about how I want to look and feel in a bathing suit, and alcohol makes you sloppy and out of shape. I'll keep looking out for the sloppy ones who are drinking by the pool, and that will help me stay away from that poison. Ty!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi soberjuly. I went to Disneyland 2 years ago. My main agenda was where could I get my next glass (or 2) of wine!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Scott, while other people researched rides I figured out where the wine was well in advance.