Notices

OOps!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OOps!

I can't get over how clumsy I am for the past month of abstinence! Dropping things, tripping, leaving burners on after cooking. My wife and brother-in-law quit soon after I did and are experiencing the same. We laugh a lot about it and I know it takes the synapses a while to find their way but it is a bit frustrating when I make so many wrong turns driving or forget to add detergent to laundry. Just an observation--I won't drink over it. Anyone else?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I had an opposite effect. I could suddenly remember where I left my phone, glasses, and keys and I stopped tripping over stuff.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL!

I call it auto-pilot. I can drive to work and when I get at the destination I have no recollection of the details of my driving. Yikes!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. Boy can I identify! Well it’s good we can laugh at ourselves. I can’t understand how my car keys are misplaced so often. A long time ago when listening to a talk show someone called in to speak to the Dr. guest about misplacing the keys and his response was that’s normal but gets to be a problem when we find them and don’t remember what they are for!

BE WELL
Old 07-10-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I sort of had both clarity and clumsiness but I love waking up and not seeing things in odd places because I put them there in a drunken stupor before I went to bed.

How great that you have your wife and brother-in-law with you on the sober train!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My mind was all over the place the first few months, forgetfulness was a big part that used to frustrate me, it all eased in time through!!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dropped everything!

I used to think, while I was drinking, that I was so smooth. I could juggle four things at once. I had it going on! I am actually quite the klutz!

I also had a hard time putting the caps back on things. I would grab the milk, pop, juice out of the fridge and forget the cap in my hand when I put it back. Half the time when I did put it back on I would drop it or not get it screwed on right. The next time I would take it out of the fridge the cap was all wonky.

I spilled things several times because I grabbed it by the cap and it was not all the way and it went flying out of my hand..LOL
Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No, truly I am much more clumsy with the simplest daily routines sober. This is probably because I have a lot of practice doing everything UTI. I drank around the clock so all activities were infused. Am sure it's just a period of acclimation and will pass but am surprised still at the degree that alcohol had become part of everything
Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

mindfulness helps. live in the moment and focus on the task at hand.... takes practice!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same thing. I think its common. Tying shoelaces was like a rubicks cube.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same here. I thought maybe I was just too out of it to notice before... Maybe our brains were used to compensating.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by reisingwood1 View Post
I can't get over how clumsy I am for the past month of abstinence! Dropping things, tripping, leaving burners on after cooking. My wife and brother-in-law quit soon after I did and are experiencing the same. We laugh a lot about it and I know it takes the synapses a while to find their way but it is a bit frustrating when I make so many wrong turns driving or forget to add detergent to laundry. Just an observation--I won't drink over it. Anyone else?
Yeah! Just today, after a month sober, I was turning my car around in the street and backed right into a telephone pole in front of my house! I get the clumsies so bad sometimes I feel like I'm drunk.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was nervous driving the first couple of months. I felt I wasn't able to pay attention 100% and wasn't thinking clearly. Terrible brain fog....thank goodness it passed - but it took a while.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had the same. One really frustrating one was being right I in the middle of some routine task like fingering a chord on the guitar, opening a can of soup or writing a word and my mind would sort of "lock up"'for a few moments. Kind of scary at first but it got much better over time