SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   OOps! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/338438-oops.html)

anattaboy 07-10-2014 04:03 AM

OOps!

I can't get over how clumsy I am for the past month of abstinence! Dropping things, tripping, leaving burners on after cooking. My wife and brother-in-law quit soon after I did and are experiencing the same. We laugh a lot about it and I know it takes the synapses a while to find their way but it is a bit frustrating when I make so many wrong turns driving or forget to add detergent to laundry. Just an observation--I won't drink over it. Anyone else?

Nonsensical 07-10-2014 04:07 AM

I had an opposite effect. I could suddenly remember where I left my phone, glasses, and keys and I stopped tripping over stuff. :)

Thepatman 07-10-2014 04:10 AM

LOL!

I call it auto-pilot. I can drive to work and when I get at the destination I have no recollection of the details of my driving. Yikes!

IOAA2 07-10-2014 04:13 AM

Hi. Boy can I identify! Well it’s good we can laugh at ourselves. I can’t understand how my car keys are misplaced so often. A long time ago when listening to a talk show someone called in to speak to the Dr. guest about misplacing the keys and his response was that’s normal but gets to be a problem when we find them and don’t remember what they are for!:a213:

BE WELL

charleesavedme 07-10-2014 04:15 AM

I sort of had both clarity and clumsiness but I love waking up and not seeing things in odd places because I put them there in a drunken stupor before I went to bed.

How great that you have your wife and brother-in-law with you on the sober train!

PurpleKnight 07-10-2014 04:35 AM

My mind was all over the place the first few months, forgetfulness was a big part that used to frustrate me, it all eased in time through!! :)

GracieLou 07-10-2014 04:58 AM

I dropped everything!

I used to think, while I was drinking, that I was so smooth. I could juggle four things at once. I had it going on! I am actually quite the klutz!

I also had a hard time putting the caps back on things. I would grab the milk, pop, juice out of the fridge and forget the cap in my hand when I put it back. Half the time when I did put it back on I would drop it or not get it screwed on right. The next time I would take it out of the fridge the cap was all wonky.

I spilled things several times because I grabbed it by the cap and it was not all the way and it went flying out of my hand..LOL

anattaboy 07-10-2014 06:43 AM

No, truly I am much more clumsy with the simplest daily routines sober. This is probably because I have a lot of practice doing everything UTI. I drank around the clock so all activities were infused. Am sure it's just a period of acclimation and will pass but am surprised still at the degree that alcohol had become part of everything

sugarbear1 07-10-2014 06:45 AM

mindfulness helps. live in the moment and focus on the task at hand.... takes practice!

Tonymblue 07-10-2014 05:26 PM

Same thing. I think its common. Tying shoelaces was like a rubicks cube.

lostinthetrees 07-10-2014 05:30 PM

Same here. I thought maybe I was just too out of it to notice before... Maybe our brains were used to compensating.

KAD 07-10-2014 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by reisingwood1 (Post 4770420)
I can't get over how clumsy I am for the past month of abstinence! Dropping things, tripping, leaving burners on after cooking. My wife and brother-in-law quit soon after I did and are experiencing the same. We laugh a lot about it and I know it takes the synapses a while to find their way but it is a bit frustrating when I make so many wrong turns driving or forget to add detergent to laundry. Just an observation--I won't drink over it. Anyone else?

Yeah! Just today, after a month sober, I was turning my car around in the street and backed right into a telephone pole in front of my house! I get the clumsies so bad sometimes I feel like I'm drunk. :)

happyandfree 07-10-2014 06:49 PM

I was nervous driving the first couple of months. I felt I wasn't able to pay attention 100% and wasn't thinking clearly. Terrible brain fog....thank goodness it passed - but it took a while.

ScottFromWI 07-10-2014 06:51 PM

I had the same. One really frustrating one was being right I in the middle of some routine task like fingering a chord on the guitar, opening a can of soup or writing a word and my mind would sort of "lock up"'for a few moments. Kind of scary at first but it got much better over time