Notices

New and looking to make changes

Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb New and looking to make changes

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forms and new to the idea of sobriety as well!

I've realized that I really need and want to make some life changes, especially where alcohol is concerned. I'm just plain TIRED of the drinking/hangover cycle. I woke up incredibly hungover today with my anxiety going through the roof. I have never talked honestly about my drinking or my habits, and the constant lying and hiding it is bringing me a lot of guilt. The intensity of my hangovers is just unreal and I am basically out of commission for an entire day after drinking. I don't want to live my life like this anymore!:
Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here GoldenRoses - you are in good company here & will find this a great support to you....I know I do!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome goldenroses
great to have you join us

Changing your life just might be the best decision you ever make

D
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To quit early is giving yourself a chance to live normal and enjoy life.
Congratulation for taking the first step. You can do this.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum goldenroses, if you are ready to change your life you came to the right place to start.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You never have to feel like this again GoldenRoses. It will get better. Hang in there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! ! I think you are making an excellent decision!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your supportive words!

A lot going on in my head right now, but I guess I am realizing the way I've been doing things isn't working. Alcohol is my crutch and security blanket--and I'm honestly a little scared at the thought of not drinking. Makes no sense since I am also tired/scared of the effects OF said drinking. AH!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't take the hangovers and anxiety any more either. I tell myself a drink will help but I ALWAYS regret that the next day, it's not worth it anymore.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queenofheartz09 View Post
I can't take the hangovers and anxiety any more either. I tell myself a drink will help but I ALWAYS regret that the next day, it's not worth it anymore.
YES. The physical anxiety symptoms afterwards are just unbearable. I have missed work due to severe anxiety when hungover.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol was my crutch and security blanket too. Till one day I lost my real security blanket (career) due to drinking. Now I am learning to live life on life's terms. It can be frightening at first. But after a while you'll wonder why you waited so long to stop.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The hangovers were one of reasons that I had to quit. What's even worse is the next day is shot also. Constant fatigue until you get some drinks in you. What a terrible cycle. Talk about burning the candle at both ends.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Question for all/any of you---how many days/weeks into not drinking were you until you noticed you were starting to feel better?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I felt I couldn't live with it but was scared to live without it. Turns out it's tricking you into thinking you need it. It's all a lie. It makes you think you need it to connect but the reality is those connections are not real. Your emotions are heightened, your words are slurred, you may not even remember parts if those connections, and at the very least they are not clear. This is what I have found
Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi goldenroses,

I'm just starting my permanent journey too, and I'm pretty sick of the cycle. One drinking day is usually two, because the hair of the dog is key, and then the hair of the dog leads into more drinking half the time, but it always has to end in a wean, and then there's the hangover that HAS to be faced. UGH, the headaches, the horrific anxiety, the inability to truly function during the day, being so damn tired, missing the day entirely, etc.

Anyway, the cycle continues too in that even when I am sober for most of the morning/afternoon, I still feel so ****** and out of it that I just give up by the evening and drink again.

What's sick is that I've started drinking alcohol I can't even afford, on my credit card, to reduce the hangovers. I don't want to be putting bad alcohol in my body if I'm going to be drinking. Yeah, that's really horrible. It does work, and I "justify" it, but I'm scared of how much its added up to be.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Glad you found us GoldenRoses....

When you will feel better is different for everyone. It depends on how much you were drinking and for how long. I drank every day for 38 years and it took a month or so before I started feeling better. In those first few weeks I slept a lot during the day, had zero motivation and fought the urge to drink every day.

One thing I can guarantee you though.... once you get past those urges, life is 10000% better sober than it is drunk or hungover.

I met you in the Chat Room earlier but I want to let you know about our meetings every tue and fri at 6pm PST / 9pm EST in the Meeting Room. Just enter the Chat Room and in the yellow field on the right side of the page click on the door next to where it says 'Meeting Room'. There is a topic for discussion listed at the top of the page but off topic shares are always welcome.

Hope to see you there!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum goldenroses!! Great to have you onbaord!!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The anxiety-filled hangovers were terrible for me. It's what kept me drinking day after day because I just couldn't handle my thoughts. The only thing that brought peace of mind was another drink. My career, physical health, and relationships all went down pretty fast when I was hungover all day and drunk all night 7 days a week.

Look at the hangover and anxiety as a necessary 'evil'. You have to experience it before you get better. It is progress toward being sober. Each hour that passes you are that much closer to being normal again.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome goldenroses!
That was me too, sick and tired of being sick and tired, and don't get me started on the mind blowing anxiety the next day. Keep coming to SR, there's so much support
Keep strong
Old 07-07-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Goldenroses. Your post could be mine today. I'm too old for hangovers. Too long to get over the effects of alcohol. Keep reading, posting, ask for help and listen to the wisdom found on these threads.
I did not, and now have the hangover from He!!. Anxious, panicky, nauseous...you know the drill.
Let's do this together! For real.