Notices

New and looking to make changes

Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Clementina and TempeBrenn, sounds like we are all in the same boat here!

The catch 22 of drinking because of anxiety/depression and then feeling even more anxious and depressed because of the drinking....really starting to wear on me! I had a drink last night after feeling pretty awful and useless for most of the day which I am now feeling guilty about doing. I'm still feeling pretty anxious today plus really exhausted even though I got plenty of sleep last night. I just want to wake up in the morning and feel good-mentally and physically.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you goldenroses.

I felt the way you do once long ago, but I didn't take action. I continued to try and manage my drinking so I wouldn't have to let go of it. I refused to admit that the fun it used to be was never coming back. I had grown dependent on it - and was drinking every day. I'm so glad you see what needs to happen - there is life after alcohol. You will be free of it and the anxiety will leave you. You have so much to look forward to!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My anxiety is through the roof but there is relief in being sober. You can rationalise thoughts and focus on getting better.

Hang in there
Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's good to meet you goldenroses.

I felt the way you do once long ago, but I didn't take action. I continued to try and manage my drinking so I wouldn't have to let go of it. I refused to admit that the fun it used to be was never coming back. I had grown dependent on it - and was drinking every day. I'm so glad you see what needs to happen - there is life after alcohol. You will be free of it and the anxiety will leave you. You have so much to look forward to!
Sounds exactly like the place I am at. Thinking "oh, you can manage this/as long as you're not binging every night I guess it's ok/maybe you should only drink when tomorrow is a day off" etc. You know where that's got me? Wasting almost every one of my days off because I binged the night before, and also feeling anxious/sick at work for a couple days after...then I start to feel a bit better after a few days right when...you guessed it..it's time for another day off, so hey you had a long week maybe you should have a drink!

I've spent a lot of time kidding myself into thinking this was a phase or that maybe I indeed did have an off switch-I can drink like a "normal" person. Taking a good honest look at myself has forced me to realize that I don't, and I, at this time, cannot drink like a normal person. This habit has done nothing for me but drain my $$ and my health, yet I find a way to rationalize every single time. A few hours of putting all the stress on pause isn't worth the horrible feeling that carries on for days afterwards.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It means to kill us golden. We don't need it in our lives - it's just a lie we've told ourselves. What was once fun and relaxing ended up ruling my life - I went on like that for 30 years. This doesn't have to happen to you.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Golden the first 2 weeks were the hardest physically and then the emotional stuff too but 30 days I started to see a light at the end if the tunnel. Meetings really helped me early on along with my sponsor.