Notices

Boredom and drinking

Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Love this thread! Steve Wilkos, hahahahaaa.. Can definitely relate.

I personally picked up a puzzle and made a list of things to do (sort through papers, photos, etc.) that I've always been putting off before.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Exercise! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I too confused the euphoria with having an interesting or exciting life. Sobriety is helping me understand happiness and contentment are much more subtle than the high from drinking (or lows, rather). I value serenity now and really never did before. As a drinker, I was surviving. And alcohol was my one constant. So taking it out of the equation caused a major shift. A much needed one!

Here are some things that don't really qualify as hobbies that I like to do now:

Run
Lift weights
Drink tea
Read
Kayak (but this requires a boat, a way to transport it to the water, and is more of a hobby I guess)
Clean and organize my closets and house
Sell things I don't need on ebay or donate them
Meditation and yoga (though I don't do these as much anymore)
Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Take long walks when yuo can, it can be very hard to think of new things and what you want to do with your life etc early on in sobriety so I found just walking something I could cope with and it got me outside and helped clear my head. Loads of great advice on this thread from everyone X
Old 07-04-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It takes a while getting through the boredom barrier. You're not used to the habit of having a clear head, but it will work itself out. Everything will be for the better.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is my life really that dull? Is this what life is like when we are sober?
I found the things I could tolerate drunk - like just sitting around watching TV for example, didn't do it for me once I got sober.

You must have hobbies or interests, thinbgs you want to try, projects you want to accomplish?

The world is your oyster, whats - there's really no call to be bored at all.

the only real limit is your imagination - go for it

D
Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replys, glad to know this is normal stage of recovery. At the moment I'm quite suprised how well I've done to get to 9 days and so far no real problems apart from the boredom.

I think now I realise that the alcohol was making an otherwise dull life bearable. I do need to get off the sofa and find things to do, whatever they maybe. I run my own business and subsequently I like organising and arranging things so maybe I could involved with a charity and put my new found energy into fund raising. I like the idea of eBay as well, I think doing a bit of buying and selling might be fun. I could also get remote access to my office so I could do some work at home, I'm always moaning that there is never enough time to finish things in work. Exercise is also something I need to get back into. I used to train everyday in my lunch hour and I find that I used to sleep much better if I'd done a work out and I would also feel better about myself. I would also like to study something, not sure what but maybe a language or even a DIY course! I am useless at DIY so that might be worthwhile.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 07-05-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
I would also like to study something, not sure what but maybe a language or even a DIY course! I am useless at DIY so that might be worthwhile.
Have you checked out Coursera? If you have an iPhone you can even do it from your cell.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Its boring as heck to me. I make the sacrifice to be bored so I can live and watch my nephew grow up. I accept the boredom to stay out of jail and not poop my pants.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

But as I mentioned earlier, does that not simply show how boring our lives already were? take out the euphoria of drinking and we didn't do much to begin with.

For me I simply became aware of how boring my life already was, so we now need to fill it with new things!!