Notices

Why do people relapse?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reisingwood1 View Post
This thread has more honesty and authenticity than a thousand meetings. I have always been irked by those whose experience is a quote from the Big Book or a vague religious passage. I think the freshness of a newcomer sharing in a meeting is also for this very reason-- they speak THEIR truth unencumbered by recoveryspeak. Thanks again SR!.."We never failed to fail-It was the easiest thing to dooo"(this is my reason and yes, I quoted an authority on the subject
thats why i keep on looking for new comers my friend : ) they really dont know how much they give to me

i couldnt sit around a meeting full of the wonders of the universe type of intellects i would rather sit with a new comer and here all the pain and suffering that there in and see how much of a mess there heads are in

i know just how far i have come from them and how much i never want to go back to it again

i am still only a baby in aa as i am only 10 years sober
in those years i have gone off in all directions believing with all my heart i am on the right road this time : )

who knows maybe one day i to will be sitting in an aa room talking about the book or god or the universe on my quest for knowledge
but for now the only knoweldge i love is what a new comer gives to me

you can have 50 years sober years in your belt but you can not pass on to me what a new comer gives to me
Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

This is a great topic, whether it's called a relapse or just plain drinking again, when we know better.

For me, there are a variety of situations/people/emotions that cause my brain to go right down that path. They are varied, and some are easily avoidable. Some are unavoidable- just daily situations (tired after work, Friday evening at home, no kids at home, cleaning), it's just a matter of using the strategies that we know work for us individually rather than caving in to that first voice that tells us that drinking would be a great idea right now. I know exactly what my voice tells me when it's trying to convince me to drink. It's predictable. And I have successfully shot it down many times. Why not every time? Because I don't fight for it. Like Nudawns analogy, drinking is the Easy button.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

"But I also think it all comes down to one basic thing; we relapse because we have not reached a point of complete continued daily willingness and commitment to a program of recovery that works for us, at the core of which is total acceptance of sobriety."

Fixed!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I drank mostly because I was breathing. But seriously, after some decent periods of abstinence (one, 8 yrs.) I drank when I was at the top of my game--feeling great, doing well financially, socially. This last 6 month binge was after 4 yrs.-- I was bored and wanted a buzz.