Notices

Getting Started

Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Started

Last November I made a decision to start taking care of myself. I've lost between 20 and 30 pounds. Now it's time to cut out the alcohol.

Wine.

So much wine. Every day. More than a bottle. Sometimes 2.

It's my reward. I changed my diet so much to lose weight, and it like this is the last thing I have to hold on to and don't want to let it go. It is soooo nice to come home and sit down and start drinking wine.

I don't get violent or anything. It hasn't hurt my marriage. I only drink at nigh. I never drive drunk. Etc...

That being said, it can't be good for my health. And it has stopped my weight loss I think.

So, how do you fight off cravings? It's 10 am and I am dying to get home and open a bottle. Yesterday was my first day without any wine.

Advice? Support? I feel like I'm gonna be crawling up the walls come 6 pm
Old 07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Quitting drinking sounds like a great way to carry on with the healthy lifestyle choices.

Originally Posted by Harford View Post
Advice? Support? I feel like I'm gonna be crawling up the walls come 6 pm
You will be. Advice? Say no to the voice in your head that is going to convince you it's okay to drink.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hartford -

Welcome to SR. Congrats on your lifestyle changes!

Quiting drinking isn't too different from loosing weight. 2 getting started tips are:
- really wanting to stop (believing firmly that alcohol stands in the way of things that you want might help)
- take it one day at a time

You may also want to start a new ritual of relaxation when you come home from work that you enjoy.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting through yesterday!

Wine is full of sugar and empty calories and can absolutely bring weight loss to a screeching halt in my experience.

I have used two strategies to deal with breaking out of that drinking/using routine. 1- i try to plan something else to do at that time, especially something fun or enjoyable. I find another way to treat myself, like going on Amazon and finding a new book or movie for like a $1.00. Or a fancy meal like a good steak dinner. Or a bubble bath with lavender candles and my favorite music. I give myself something else to look forward to.

2- I post here. I talk about my feelings and cravings and vent and ask for support. People always respond quickly and reading the replies and responding are a great distraction. I have a deal with myself that before I pick up any substance, no matter how strong the urge, I will post here first and put it off for at least an hour. So far it has worked every time and I am on day 63.

Welcome!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and good for you for working on a healthy lifestyle.

The cravings are just feelings and they don't control you. If getting home from work is a trigger to drink, then try going to the gym, for a long walk, cook a special meal. Do whatever it takes to get through the moments.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the replies. It's nice to hear that others have had the same struggles. I think finding a new reward other than wine is going to be key. Right now my main motivation is weight loss. I do a really hard cross fit workout then come home and negate it by drinking over a bottle of wine...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Harford; glad you found SR.

If arriving home is a trigger, be sure to log-on to SR when you arrive home; there is always someone to talk to for support.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You got to get a plan in place, simply removing alcohol from your daily life will create loads of time on your hands, to guess what? think about drinking, getting Sober is more than taking alcohol out of the picture and persevering.

Plan new activities, fill up your days, new hobbies/interests, what do you want to achieve in life with the new Sober you?!

Yo can do this!!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^^^^^ Good advice
Old 07-01-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. You will probably hear this many times. The more you fill your spare time with hobbies or keeping yourself busy the less you will hear the voice telling you to drink. My advice would be to fill those times with something you will enjoy, I found that by doing that, and then going to bed earlier my AV didnt appear much.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Harford...I think if you're dying to open a bottle at 10am that's the best indication anyone can have that things need to change

Here are some good basic cravings tips:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D