Notices

Class of July 2014

Old 07-05-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hoping to join. This is my day two - have made it to day 4 three times over the last couple of weeks. Red wine is my beverage of choice - 1 to 2 bottles a night for nearly 10 years. Ready to move on from this for good!
Old 07-05-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Hi Milove I just joined too - we can do this!!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hi Milove, welcome to the July group X
Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

I am part of the July class of 2013 but I didn't make it. Now I'm part of the March 2014 class. I wish all of you the very best, recovery is simple but it isn't easy.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Musical Inspiration

Just posting the lyrics to this Jason Mraz song because throughout the years I've found music therapeutic in recovery. Sometimes I'm angry and I need to scream, so I blast some old school METAL!!! like "Enter Sandman" and although Jason Mraz is about as far from Metallica as you can get, I'm not angry, I'm hopeful and this song reflects how I'm feeling right now. Thank you all for being here, because I know you're here, I don't want to be somewhere else at 11:55 Saturday night..

"3 Things"

There are three things I do when my life falls apart
Number one I cry my eyes out and dry up my heart
Not until I do this will my new life start
So that’s the first thing that I do when my life falls apart.

Oh, the second thing I do is I close both of my eyes
And say my thank-yous to each and every moment of my life.
I go where I know the love is and let it fill me up inside
Gathering new strength from sorrow,
I’m glad to be alive.

Things are looking up
I know above the clouds the sun is shining
Things are looking up
Love is still the answer I'm relying
On
Three little things
Things are looking up

The third thing that I do now when my world caves in,
is I pause, I take a breath, and bow and I let that chapter end.
I design my future bright not by where my life has been.
And I try, try, try, try, try again.
Yes I try, try, try, try, try again.

Things are looking up
I know beyond the dark the sun is rising
Things are looking up
And I know above the clouds the sun is shining
Things are looking
Love is still the answer I'm relying
On
Three little things
Three little things

**cant post a link for a bit yet but if you're interested - it's on Youtube or wherever**
Old 07-05-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Just checking in . . . Nothing much to report. Working on things . . .y'all know the story

Really hoping to get over this hump with my boyfriend . . . We'll see . . .

Hang in there!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Morning all, checking on on day 7, yay!

Last night I got sleep!!! Proper actual sleep! It was heaven

Having a lovely weekend with my husband, both of us just relaxing and having fun. We went out to dinner last night and had a Very Serious Discussion about the future (we're planning to make a major move but not for at least 15 months). In the past I would have been glugging red wine to fend off the anxiety of even thinking about such an upheaval but last night I just sipped my fizzy water and made actual proper plans.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Hi It's fantastic to wake up hangover-free on a Sunday morning! Going to be painting today - walls, not canvass, so a full day for me. Really looking forward to seeing the transformation
Old 07-06-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

YEY Day 6 & made it through the dreaded day 5 unscathed!!! Thanks all & well done...Keep strong!!! Happy Sunday..
Old 07-06-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I second that Mairie, I actually feel alive. I'm not just existing and bumbling through the day till 'wine o'clock'. Had friends over last night who drank lots of booze but I didn't feel I was missing out. I hope my mind stays this focused, SR friends if it weren't for you all, who knows? I might just have slipped
Old 07-06-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

That's brilliant Bellaboos - well done!!

Well done to you too Jezza (love the avatar)
Old 07-06-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Got through Day 5, beginning Day 6. This is where I slipped up last month...so I continue to fend off the demons. Someone a couple of threads back, posted on making a list of what to do when the cravings hit. These are some of the things I am doing...

1. Sitting down and pausing. Usually I want to drink when I am faced with something I do not want to do...so I will impulsively grab the car keys and head for the liquor store to grab a cold six pack of my favorite beer. With the pause, I sometimes realize why I am craving...hungry, thirsty, bored, overwhelmed, etc.
2. So if I'm hungry I eat, if I'm thirsty I drink club soda, but to recreate the escape of hopping the car to the liquor store, I've hopped in the car to the quick mart to get a diet soda. Even though I know the diet soda will eventually have to be dumped as well, it's a cheaper, non-alcoholic solution.
3. Sometimes I just need a break---to read a chapter of a book, play words with friends, or run an errand.
4. I tell myself even though working around the house is much more fun with a buzz, I'm getting so much more done WITHOUT a buzz if I take frequent breaks. And, I have several more hours in my day...I don't "fall asleep" as early and I sleep solid through the night.

What are some of the things on your lists to fend off the cravings?

I thank God for the gift of 5 days...
Old 07-06-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Day 2. Brought lots of work home, so staying busy.

But I made work my priority yesterday and didn't go for my daily walk. More work today, but I will make time for myself and get that walk in that I enjoy so much!

Have a great Sunday
Old 07-06-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone, day 6 here, still not totally back to normal, sore fuzzy head but it'll pass soon.gorgeous sunny day here so having watermelon for breakfast and heading out for a long walk. Hope you are all staying strong and sober this weekend X
Old 07-06-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Good to see so many people waking up in a good hungover free mood :-) Start a new job tonight, little nervous but I'm pretty sure that's life without alcohol doing that!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Day 9 hangover free but I must admit there were several drinks on the boat last evening after all the company was gone. Was able to moderate but I know this is not a good long-term strategy. Still in for the class of July. I'm disappointed in myself, it wasn't only peer pressure that led to it. A big part of me felt I deserved a few drinks after the hubbub of the past few days.

Today is a new beginning.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Me too MiffyDee, frequent breaks is working for me at the mo. Not taking on anything whatever the size and expecting to conquer it at once. If I start feeling stressed, overwhelmed etc I stop and have time out. It's great to have the time in the day to do that now, what the #### did I do or accomplish when I was drinking? All that time wasted!! Being busy but doing nothing. Drunken 'to do' lists never done...bleugh never again
Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Dee could I please join The Class of July?

Day one for me was actually June 30th but I'm on day 6 now and feel like joining in with my classmates. Good luck one and all, you can do it.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Welcome M88
Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
nmd

day 2, feeling pretty good this morning. I guess I blacked out part of friday, I learned a few things about getting home in conversation yesterday (which I don't remember). This holiday weekend is flying by, wish I could have Friday back, but at least I had a great day yesterday.

Thursday through Sunday this week I'm camping with the kids, pretty easy to stay sober because it will be at a camp that doesn't allow alcohol. Looking forward to the break from work, being around drinking and just having fun with the kids outdoors!