Notices

Hello I'm newish :c015:

Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello I'm newish :c015:

Hi all

I have been a member for a while now but haven't been online until recently. I am a thirtysomething mum of 3 who has been battling alcohol addiction for about 10 years now. I lost my 2nd daughter to cancer 4 years ago and since then have spiralled out of control with alcohol. I can easily drink 2 bottles of wine a night and often stretch to more. Over the last year I have gotten myself into dangerous situations I would never dream of whilst sober and am drinking earlier than I ever used to (normally around 7 pm, although I often sneak a drink around 6 ish. I have gotten into such a rut and know I have to get out. I am very scared, I know this is going to be so difficulty but I am ready to start, just taking 1 day at a time. This is my second day AF. Any support, advice or even a hi would be most welcomed. Thank you for reading.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mum3!

I think you made a great step in posting here today. Well done!
I think you'll find a lot of support and strenght here.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss; that is totally unimaginable mum3 xxx

Very best of luck on your journey xx
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Mum, you're an after-work drinker like I was. I found that habit had a lot to do with it so I worked on changing my habits slightly. I also substituted tea and soft drinks, ate a lot of sweet stuff (for a time) and avoided situations which triggered me. That meant no drinking social events for a while, although they're ok now.
It is hard to stop drinking when it's become a habit. My first step was to see my GP and get his support, and I also spent a lot of time online learning about alcoholism (and found SR).
You can do this! Gather some support, make a plan, read whatever you can to motivate yourself. You will do it if you really want it.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Mum and welcome to posting on the forum

Just wanted to extend a 'hello' and heartfelt welcome.

Recognizing and admitting that there has been a problem with approaching the nighttime with a bottle (or more) of alcohol is an enormous step in the right direction. Personally I hovered in denial, or dropped the argument altogether, for who-knows-how-long (well beyond what is good for any person). Partially because my environment helped make it OK and somehow justifiable based on circumstances...and I ran with it for a bit. While our circumstances are different, we are similar in approaching 'something' with booze. You are not alone in this Mum. Not at all. Be patient with yourself. The answers will come.

Big hug to you for all of your challenging life experience...so sorry to read about the death of your daughter. Today is the first day of the rest of your life...what are you going to do with it

** P.S. - I found cleaning and talking to the toilet very therapeutic in the early days. And I kept my laptop open and logged into SR while I cooked dinner and after until I fell asleep. Still doing this actually...~2months along my journey. Cleanest toilets in town.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome, mum3

I'm so sorry for what's brought you here, but delighted that you have made the decision to quit. Wine was my drink of choice too and I can't describe how wonderful it feels to be free of the call of the Chardonnay. I hope you get to feel it as well
Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum mum3!! Great to have you onboard!!