Notices

When The Walls Come Tumbling Down

Old 06-20-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey airwick, I get what you're saying, have the same thoughts myself occasionally. But the honesty on this forum is inspiring, too, and the way SR members share their struggles and setbacks helps remind me how real this is. That's what sober time (or the voice in disguise) has tempted me to forget in the past. I'm still heartbroken to see others here wobble or fall but also feel grateful to them for sharing so honestly.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't even know if my head is screwed on right this morn...
but I had to look at this post cuz of the title..
I loved that song..that artist..
When that album came out...I actually just sat and listened to it...song to song all the way through..
and then again...

You will get through. All of us will...
I leaned into this place like the last safe vestige of my soul last night...

We are here...trying to get better.
Get at the roots of ugly...
To get better....
You can do this...you are your own superhero...
Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Some people ain't no damn good
You can't trust 'em you can't love 'em
No good deed goes unpunished
And I don't mind bein' their whippin' boy

I've had that pleasure for years and years
No no I never was a sinner tell me what else can I do
Second best is what you get till you learn to bend the rules
And time respects no person and what you lift up must fall
They're waiting outside to claim my tumblin' walls

I just listened to that song 3 times...
Thank you
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi airwick, keep strong my friend, keep reading and posting.

Be inspired, show empathy, laugh, cry, be sad , be happy.

Help and be helped when needed, cry for help, envelop your friends with strength and love.

We are in this together.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi airwick - I get exactly what you are saying!

But I do believe there really seems to be people with solid, quality recovery on SR. It is really sad when someone shares about relapsing but I guess it just reaffirms that we are all only 1 drink away from a relapse. Nobody that relapses seems to be enjoying themselves - in fact they just confirm how disastrous drinking if for an alcoholic. I'm not in AA now but I remember the saying 'for the grace of God go I' (or something like that anyway!).
Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by AlcoholFree66 View Post
It is really sad when someone shares about relapsing but I guess it just reaffirms that we are all only 1 drink away from a relapse.
I am so thankful that they feel safe enough to post here. That is all that matters to me. I would hate to think that anyone who relapses thinks they have to deal with it alone. We have all been there and no one has to be alone.

I don't kid myself, I will always be one sip away from sliding down that slope.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Airwick, occasionally I can feel a little triggered by the post but not enough to act on it at all.
Sort of alcoholically agitated. My mind will play tricks on me and I will reminisce the drinks that I enjoyed and I have to challenge myself and look at the big picture and the inevitable destruction that drinking does to me
My heart goes out to them and I fear for them...
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Be the one that does not fall. Do this for you.
Try not to have expectations of others.
Relapse is not inevitable.
Many fall but you don't have to........
Be safe today.
G
Old 06-21-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
Now I am confused I mentioned nothing of AA, I'm glad it is going strong. I apologize for the misunderstanding of my post. Maybe I was just looking for a bit of reassurance for myself.

"D", I really meant nothing by my comment
no its my fault for reading your post wrong and i am sorry for that, when i read your post with the domino effect thing being mentioned it just took be back to some aa meetings were i have heard it used by people who try to slant aa

now to your problem who are the people who you feel are not there for you ? i am not looking for individual names just the group of people you use for support
do you mean aa members or people from the forum or na members ?

all i can say about aa is if your in that fellowship there are plenty of people who will make time for you its part of there step work the 12th step.

but not everyone does it sadly they only do the first 11 steps and stay in self mode
so the trick is to find people who are activley working the 12th step they are the people doing service work for example in meetings or doing anything really to help others
if you find people like that then you will not feel so let down but thats if your in aa of course as i can not speak for other organizations

anyway i wish you luck and if you wish a private chat you can pm my anytime and i will help if i can : )
Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nuudawn: I am SO glad You were one to reply to this post. You and another were why I wrote this. Your posts I always read for insight yet never replied.

Your words gave off confidence and hope that I wanted to have.

So when I began reading about what you were dealing with and what you did I got scared. If you two were crashing there was no way I was going to keep it together!

I now see that you also are here for some of the same reason as myself. Stop the insanity!

I WILL STILL LOOK UP TO YOU BOTH; but I will also take into consideration that you Give yet also Need support at times
Old 06-21-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This sure is not a "Happy Month".

It seems as if all the people I have looked up to for support/confidence/reassurance are falling apart themselves.

If they don't think they will make it how can I?

I know they need and deserve support just like me, but if one breaks are we all going to fall?

I'm getting scared, is it going to be the domino affect?

I have times when im trudging and it seems the people I turn to for support are trudging,too. what we do, and it also happens here, is make it a "we" thing. WE work together to work on solutions to our problems.
so how bout tellin us a lil bout whats goin with ya and maybe we can help with some suggestions on solutions?
might just help some of us.
no, if one break doesn't mean all fall. its only a break and breaks can be fixed.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We are all responsible for our own Sobriety, so what others are doing doesn't have to affect my journey.

I read relapse threads most days, but they don't affect my own Sobriety

You've nothing to worry about airwick, get your plan for the day worked out and execute it, there is no need to worry about others affecting your own journey.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey Airwick, I totally understand what you're saying. It's scary for me to read about someone with long-term sobriety having a relapse. It shakes my foundation somewhat. I used to allow that to undermine my own determination, but I think I'm starting to realize that it's my AV taking that perfect opportunity to ambush me. I'm so grateful that I GET that now, I didn't get it last time I tried to quit drinking. Now reading posts about the struggles that everyone has keeps me grounded and focused on staying sober. It keeps it immediate and real. "There, but for the grace of God, go I" I am one drink away from going right back to where I started from. And I am NOT prepared to do that again. Stay strong, my friend, and read the true message in those posts. Lessons ... that's what they are ... lessons for us all. I am so thankful that people post their downs as well as ups. We are all in this together, we are all fighting this fight, and no one among us is immune from relapse (IMO). But together we can fight the battles every day, make progress everyday, strengthen ourselves everyday. That is the beauty of SR ... we do this together. Have a wonderful, sober day!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Nuudawn: I am SO glad You were one to reply to this post. You and another were why I wrote this. Your posts I always read for insight yet never replied.

Your words gave off confidence and hope that I wanted to have.

So when I began reading about what you were dealing with and what you did I got scared. If you two were crashing there was no way I was going to keep it together!

I now see that you also are here for some of the same reason as myself. Stop the insanity!

I WILL STILL LOOK UP TO YOU BOTH; but I will also take into consideration that you Give yet also Need support at times
I was worried that was the case.....
But yes, I am here because I don't have a handle on this thing
But today...I feel even more motivated to stay sober.
Way more..... I was not identifying the toxic relationship in my life as the enormous problem it truly is.
Yesterday I allowed him to take my sobriety.
But he never will again. Ever.
I let him back in when I was in relapse. And that says something to me right there.
I learned a lot of myself in my last sobriety last year...and I loved what I learned.

It was all just coming back to me...truly..in my 3rd week of sobriety. I was realizing that sobriety IS the passage I want. I must have it.

Today I am back...as dedicated to my sobriety as I was beginning to feel the day before yesterday.
In some sick way, I sacrified my sobriety (and posted about it) as a means to show myself just how bad it truly was.
I am embarrassed..but I am back.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nuudawn: Great! You and "R" are both back on track!
As silly as it sounds knowing you two are both alright gives me a sense of relief
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Airwick, stay strong, now they need your help be there for them, rootin for ya. Several of our brothers and sisters here are going through hard times as well, there are all of us lucky ones that need to step up to the plate let them know we care and are here for them.