Notices

Can't concentrate!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Keep in mind that you are only a week sober and some psychiatric drugs can take weeks to start working. I'd also recommend staying in close touch with your doc if you decide to quit - withdrawals are possible from prescription drugs as well as adverse effects during said withdrawals.

I guess bottom line is there's no magic pill that's going to make everything instantly better ;-)
Fortunately, Strattera is non-addictive and I've already stopped the Librium, which is addictive. This one is only to help with anxiety and to help me concentrate and focus so I can function on my job. Certainly can't afford to lose it!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
Fortunately, Strattera is non-addictive and I've already stopped the Librium, which is addictive. This one is only to help with anxiety and to help me concentrate and focus so I can function on my job. Certainly can't afford to lose it!
I'm seeing the doc again in a month, too, so he is keeping a close eye on my progress. He's not just a pill pusher like some doctors I've had in the past.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
There's a lot to be said for letting things naturally clear up in the head. It does get better. I've been there, where I'd sit and start at a book, nothing soaking in. Not able to do simple math, and like someone else mentioned... not getting the simple concepts. This is all part of PAWS. It comes and goes for some. For me, it's getting a lot better. I'm at 445 days, no use of any medication to help me get here and glad I didn't. That's my two cents. We all experience PAWS differently though.
That's where I want to get, but there are several high-pressured deadlines I am facing right now at work - couldn't come at a worse time - and I feel like it's just numbers dancing around on the screen and I can't make any sense out of it. I don't plan to make any of these meds long term, except the Antabuse and bp meds.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey GMO. I am glad to hear this. Twice I started to post on this thread, I was going to suggest maybe discussing this with a MD. After reading about your concentration problems I went back and looked at some of your other posts apart from this thread. I was wondering if you had mentioned feeling depressed, because for me concentration goes out the window and it is one of the most obvious things for me when I am depressed.

I wrote about this aspect on someone else's thread recently. Funny, I don't notice when I am getting depressed, usually I am well into it. One of the first things I notice when I am back on meds is that my focus and concentration is restored. Often I haven't realized how much they have deteriorated until they start to come back.

I've been on Wellbutrin for years. I don't notice it when I am on it, but when I have gone off of it I feel distinctly compromised. I have mild ADD and somehow the AD also helps significantly with this.

I am glad you saw your doctor. While meds are not the answer for everyone, for me they allow me to right myself without having to rely on substances which are damaging to me.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
That's where I want to get, but there are several high-pressured deadlines I am facing right now at work - couldn't come at a worse time - and I feel like it's just numbers dancing around on the screen and I can't make any sense out of it. I don't plan to make any of these meds long term, except the Antabuse and bp meds.
Just as an FYI, It appears that one of the drawbacks of strattera is that it doesn't generally reach effectiveness for at least 3-4 full weeks. That's just listed as one of the disdavantages on their website, so you should proabably confirm with your doc - but don't get your hopes up that any drug is going to clear up this fogginess in just a few days.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Just as an FYI, It appears that one of the drawbacks of strattera is that it doesn't generally reach effectiveness for at least 3-4 full weeks. That's just listed as one of the disdavantages on their website, so you should proabably confirm with your doc - but don't get your hopes up that any drug is going to clear up this fogginess in just a few days.
Hmm... no, he didn't mention that. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Hey GMO. I am glad to hear this. Twice I started to post on this thread, I was going to suggest maybe discussing this with a MD. After reading about your concentration problems I went back and looked at some of your other posts apart from this thread. I was wondering if you had mentioned feeling depressed, because for me concentration goes out the window and it is one of the most obvious things for me when I am depressed.

I wrote about this aspect on someone else's thread recently. Funny, I don't notice when I am getting depressed, usually I am well into it. One of the first things I notice when I am back on meds is that my focus and concentration is restored. Often I haven't realized how much they have deteriorated until they start to come back.

I've been on Wellbutrin for years. I don't notice it when I am on it, but when I have gone off of it I feel distinctly compromised. I have mild ADD and somehow the AD also helps significantly with this.

I am glad you saw your doctor. While meds are not the answer for everyone, for me they allow me to right myself without having to rely on substances which are damaging to me.
I tried Wellbutrin a few years ago. I don't know if the dosage was too weak or what but it really had no effect on me. The way I see it, if it takes meds of some sort, preferably the non-addictive variety, to help keep us off the one highly addictive, highly destructive, deadly drug that brought us here then by all means use them. I, for one, see no harm in it.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My concentration was in the gutter for the 1st few weeks and I also have a job that requires concentration and focus.
I would look at my work and listen to conversations and would think they were in another language.
At over 7 months my concentration is still not 100% but workwise it was fine at about 2/3 weeks.

The meds you mentioned have been quite controversial here in Australia, it is good that you are following up with your doc, .
Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
KAD

Having second thoughts about the Strattera already as I've noticed a slight spike in my BP since taking the first dose a few hours ago and, upon further reading, I see that that is a fairly common side effect. I don't want anything that screws around with my heart and BP (which would make drinking alcohol all the more absurd!), so I think I'll just be grateful these are samples and leave them alone.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Strattera Side Effects Center

Share this Article:

Facebook Twitter Email Print

A A A

Pharmacy Editor: Eni Williams, PharmD, PhD

Prescribing Information
Drug Description
Indications & Dosage
Side Effects & Drug Interactions
Warnings & Precautions
Overdosage & Contraindications
Clinical Pharmacology
Medication Guide

For Patients
Strattera Overview
Strattera in Detail with Side Effects

Strattera (atomoxetine) is a medication that belongs to the drug class called selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Strattera is available as a generic drug. Strattera is prescribed for treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Common side effects of Strattera include trouble sleeping, dry mouth, decreased appetite, upset stomach, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, problems urinating, and sexual side effects.

Strattera dose ranges from 40mg/day to 100mg/day given in 1-2 divided doses. Drug interactions include monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (for example, phenelzine sulfate [Nardil], fluoxetine [Prozac] and quinidine). Strattera may cause severe liver injury. There are no adequate studies of Strattera in pregnant women and it is not known if Strattera is secreted in human breast milk.

Our Strattera Side Effects Drug Center provides a comprehensive view of available drug information on the potential side effects when taking this medication. articles.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Strattera Side Effects Center

Share this Article:

Facebook Twitter Email Print

A A A

Pharmacy Editor: Eni Williams, PharmD, PhD

Prescribing Information
Drug Description
Indications & Dosage
Side Effects & Drug Interactions
Warnings & Precautions
Overdosage & Contraindications
Clinical Pharmacology
Medication Guide

For Patients
Strattera Overview
Strattera in Detail with Side Effects

Strattera (atomoxetine) is a medication that belongs to the drug class called selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Strattera is available as a generic drug. Strattera is prescribed for treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Common side effects of Strattera include trouble sleeping, dry mouth, decreased appetite, upset stomach, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, problems urinating, and sexual side effects.

Strattera dose ranges from 40mg/day to 100mg/day given in 1-2 divided doses. Drug interactions include monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (for example, phenelzine sulfate [Nardil], fluoxetine [Prozac] and quinidine). Strattera may cause severe liver injury. There are no adequate studies of Strattera in pregnant women and it is not known if Strattera is secreted in human breast milk.

Our Strattera Side Effects Drug Center provides a comprehensive view of available drug information on the potential side effects when taking this medication. articles.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Yeah, I've been scouring the internet looking at all that stuff. Funny, the side effects I've usually seen did not mention bp spikes. I have found that information from other people who have been on it, and it appears to happen quite often. I haven't experienced any of the other side effects, but the bp issue is more than enough for me to kick this med to the curb. Not gonna have it!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
KAD

Right now, my focus is on the weekend, and I don't have to do any concentrating on anything at all except having a good time with my daughters. I've not been able to see or speak to them all week because of Summer Camp and I miss them terribly. Looking forward to getting them back!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Excuse my ignorance....what is PAWS .....
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It took a couple of months for the fog to leave my brain. In the beginning it was scary for me because I thought I really had some brain damage. Caffeine made matters worse for it made me more anxious. Hang in there....it does pass and you will get your focus and concentration back-and you will think clearly again.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by Julie59 View Post
Excuse my ignorance....what is PAWS .....
Here, this can explain it much better than I can.

Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies
Old 06-21-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
KAD

All the more reason to leave off the Strattera. They aren't kidding about the insomnia side effect. Been sleeping like a baby all week and the first day I take this stuff I'm wide awake at 4:30AM!