Notices

It's going to be a long weekend...

Old 06-13-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's going to be a long weekend...

It turns up that my counselor is sick and won't be able to see me until Tuesday. It's going to be a long wait...

Even though my relapse wasn't too bad (a bottle of wine on Wednesday and 6 beer on Thursday). I feel very sick today. Not the typical hangover but mostly I feel my nerves all shattered. I am shaking, shivering, panicky (not a full panic attack but a dreadful panic feeling all through the day).

Why did I do this to my self?!

I try to take it easy, hour by hour and keep thinking that nothing horribly bad is going to happen, it's just my brain. My brain is hurt. It will get better...right?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will get better if you don't pick up the drink again. Hang in there.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeap, it will get better!! You can do this!!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

do you have a plan in place for the weekend? you can do it!!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No really a plan for the weekend Jupiters...right now I am trying to deal with this paralyzing fear, I can't really think of anything besides drinking lots of water
Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just stick around SR ,try and eat snacks and drink loads of water. sleep when you need to and maybe get to a meeting,even an online one if you don't feel able to leave home
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
No really a plan for the weekend Jupiters...right now I am trying to deal with this paralyzing fear, I can't really think of anything besides drinking lots of water
Drinking water is good, eating when you are hungry and trying to rest are all good to keep the physical side of things in balance. Taking a walk or just getting up and about can help with the anxiety, just sitting around and worrying is probably one of the worst things you can do.

It's already water under the bridge of course, but remember that drinking is what caused this - and drinking again will make it worse. Someone is here all the time - have you considered joining the weekend thread? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-together.html
Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will, thank you Scott
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I feel frustrated and get all up in my head I do my best to find an AA meeting. Maybe there's one nearby you could find some support. Wishing you all the best!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better and I'm glad you're posting about your concern.

I would plan. Make a plan for the weekend to do some fun things and really to do anything that will help keep your mind off drinking. And, do keep reading and posting here.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't had any craving for alcohol today. That's good. It's just this panic/anxiety feeling that won't go away. It's amazing how much damage we do to our brains when we drink...
I hope it goes away soon...I can endure any kind physical pain like a champ...but one single panic attack and I am completely frozen.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay here's a couple of tidbits I read in a magazine whilst having hair done yesterday. One was something to do when in anxiety. Article said to clench your non dominant hand into a fist for 10 seconds. Apparently it will trigger the opposite side of the brain not related to the thoughts that tend to cause anxiety (forgive me I forget the small details as to which side of the brain that is (sort of a dilemma for me as I am somewhat ambidextrous). I figured I would just clench. I know when reading it it seemed to be written as your left would be the left to squeeze as it appeared to be written for a right handed person.

The other thing was talking about food cravings and it suggested that when in a craving one should play a mind game like tetris or candy crush as it takes the mind away from the "mental image" part of craving. Said to play a game for 15 minutes to kill a craving.

Might be worth a try???
Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

I replaced my addiction to alcohol with addiction to SR and sober reading material. It doesnt make the unpleasant feelings go away but it helped get me through.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Nuudawn! I'll try that!