Notices

11 full days tonight and scared to death

Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 full days tonight and scared to death

I've played this games many times over the last 5 months. I get some day under my belt 5, 6, 7, 33 at one time. I always get some traction when trying to quit, but mentally my AV always tells me to stop caring once the body pains go away and the head clears again. I figure hey, you've detoxed, you're in the clear everything is getting better have a drink.

I don't want this again, I think about more support daily. I need someone in person to call anytime day or night. I've been to AA had a sponsor at one time, but did some bad things and my sponsor could no longer be my sponsor.

Gosh, any ideas on in person support, maybe AA maybe not AA? I am lost, but I know in the coming days I am going to need all the support I can find. I've been waning at times over the last 4 days,but am sober and happy about it.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great Job on 11 Days!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 11 days! If you feel AA would be helpful and you need more local support, absolutely go. Heck, go find a meeting tonight if you think it would help - there's meetings almost every hour in Reno, sometimes even more than one an hour AA Northern Nevada - NNIG.org
Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How about a combination of here and AA? That is what I do. I also try to be completely honest with myself, or as honest to the best of my ability. I cannot have just one drink. I cannot have just one drink. I tell myself that over and over again. I may feel great now but if I have one drink I will finish the bottle or multiple bottles and then I will be starting all over, again.

This site works if you work it. I was thinking about that on the way home today. I don't know anyone on here from Adam. But I come here every day and read and post. Whether what I say makes sense all the time, or resonates or is helpful I don't know. But in the months since I've started coming here I have started feeling accountable, finally, for whether I drink or not. My time in is starting to mean something to me. I don't want to go again through the pain I read on here everyday. If I fell off the boards tomorrow I might just be a blip on someone's radar but maybe I helped someone else. I've certainly been helped.

So I suggest coming here and reading and posting. Hit AA again for real life support too. Build an army to turn to when you need it. We all have your back. We are all in this together.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found posting here daily, getting involved in the current month thread or the 24 hour recovery connection thread really helps TDG

D
Old 06-11-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Congrats on 11 days!! For me, AA is extremely helpful in terms of face-to-face support. You are not alone! Many people relapse and come back. IMHO, those who make it back are the lucky ones. To to a meeting and try to relate to people's feelings about alcohol. It may be difficult to do, but I think it would also really be helpful if you shared about what you're going through in a meeting. By sharing, you're opening yourself up to more support and might even make a new "sober friend."
Old 06-11-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 11 days sober! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

We're all here for you TDG, post as often as you like. You just need to get through the crunch time and focus on how wonderful you'll feel soon.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Know exactly how you feel, TDG. It's easy to stay committed when you feel awful, but five minutes after you feel better, it starts to seem like it never happened. I'm trying to retrain myself to remember the horrible LAST day of a relapse instead of the candy-colored first day.

Huge congrats on Day 11. You're on your way. Keep the momentum building.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have gone from being an AA skeptic to realising I can't do this without the sort of support it offers. Not suggesting it is for everyone, but for those prone to habitual relapsing, like myself, it seems to be doing the trick.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I am pretty involved in my local AA. I have a homegroup, a group that's my second homegroup, a couple of groups I usually attend and a group of people I can honestly call my sober alcoholic friends. I know I can count on them. If I need to talk, someone is almost always there. If not, I've got SR and a meeting book chock full of women's numbers. I'd be lost without my sober friends. We get together often and it's always fun. I just became outing coordinator so I have the honor of finding things to do. Like sober karaoke! It's really wonderful having sober alcoholics who are showing me how much fun sobriety can be. I am constantly amazed that people don't think that sobriety can be fun. I'm having a blast!

AA is a must for me. I love the support I get. I love the support I am able to give! The fellowship of AA is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SR is a pretty good support network - it seems to me that anytime in a 24 hour period there are people somewhere on line and ready to offer support.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA worked for me when all else failed and SR is a great place for additional support
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

funny enough at a meeting last night a guy had us all laughing our heads off with how he was
he said he would get off the drink as he felt so ill and stay sober for a while then of course as he started to get better again instead of knowing it was the drink that cause him to feel so ill oh no, as he got better he would think to himself great i am ok now and i can drink again
the reason we all laughed was how he put it over as thats exactly what we all did in aa
any normal person who gets ill will do thing to make sure they dont end up like that again, but not so for alcoholics, the first thing they will do is get back on the stuff that made them feel so ill in the first place and on and on it goes crazy or what lol

if you was at that meeting last night you would of got so much out of his share alone i am sure of it as he sounds just like you to me and of course you sound just like me as i would do the same thing and he sounds like me
funny how we sound like each other isnt it ?

thats what i get from aa people who are just like me and they help me to remember why i dont dare drink again as i dont want to be were you are today ever again so i thank you to for your post as it helps me know i am on the right track
if you want it then it can be yours to as your no different from me we just have a different way to live today is all that sets us apart
good luck to you