Notices

Day one....

Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day one....

Today is the first day without alcohol. I am 24 years old and have drank for about 7 years. Lately, drinking throughout the day. I could hardly sleep at all last night. I took the natural melatonin which helped me sleep maybe 3-4 hours. Had terrifying nightmares upon waking up. My hands and feet are sweaty. Legs and hands are shaky. My anxiety is through the roof and I won't even leave my house. I am having severe social anxiety and feels weird/scary to look someone directly in the eyes. Is that normal???? I have detoxed before, last year. So I know what medicines/vitamins they give for detox. I am prescribed Valium and I have been taking that to ease my anxiety especially since the first few days are the worst. To be completely honest, I am quitting drinking due to an OWI which I have to do day reporting for either 90 or 180 days so this is not a choice, however I do feel like this is a positive direction for me. My first time detoxing was unbearable. And I went through a professional facility. This time it is not AS bad but still miserable. I am hoping to gain some insight on anyone else's detox experience. I am terrified of having a heart attack or seizure but I do realize I am taking the vitamins and same medicines that they used in detox so therefore I feel I can safely do this at home. Thanks to anyone for their input.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's always a good idea to involve your doctor when detoxing.

When I detoxed at home I was shocked at how high my blood pressure rose.
Had all of the same feelings emotional and physical you are having.
Shouldn't you be quitting for YOU not just because of a DUI?
You have your whole life ahead of you.

** Thanks for the large letters,I'm as blind as a bat.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
waking down

Welcome. Your experience sounds like mine (as far as detox goes). I resisted going to a doctor, but I wouldn't rule it out if symptoms are severe.

Melatonin give me wild dreams, too. Sometimes awesome; sometimes scary. I find valerian root helpful for sleep, but you have valium, so...

Ride it out; it's worth the effort. Distract yourself here if it helps. TV. Just take care of yourself and be gentle with yourself. Try not to get caught up in other concerns.

Do you have support? Someone to help if you are not well?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only reason that I do not want to quit for myself is that I am losing my friends. They are big drinkers.. I feel like I am ending up with no friends anymore. I do have family as support. I don't have a doctor at the moment although I am looking into a doctor. I cannot go through detox due to my upcoming court date on Monday. Last time I was in detox for 5 days and they barely let me out and I can't miss this court date. I would diminish my drinking but I know that if they drug test me I will fail because they can go back for alcohol 3-5 days or possibly longer. I have been distracting myself with movies, games... I just wish I could hang out with friends but for some odd reason It feels as if I can't look someone in the eyes... It's like nerves take over and I feel bug eyed or something?? Like a freak I don't know exactly how to explain it?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are these friends or drinking buddies? There is a difference. You are 24 and can make new friends if these people do not want to hang out with you simply because you don't drink.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First off,try to calm down.
I found myself in front of a judge many years ago. It was terrifying,but sadly, not enough to stop me from drinking long.

I had "friends" that were big drinkers as well.
Four of them are in graves directly related to either health issues from drinking or accidents. I can tell you that those "friends" I would more associate as drinking acquaintances.
I would not expect them to come and help me in times of trouble. They would either be too stoned or drunk.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

TRUE friends would still be there for you after you quit drinking. They would respect you, and do things with you that don't involve alcohol. I quit when I was 25. It's hard being a young person who quits drinking. We are expected to get wasted all the time, and it it's socially acceptable. However, it sounds like drinking isn't doing good things for your life.

You can, and will find new hobbies, and friends. I hate to say it, but you will lose a lot of the people you see now, but they aren't "friends" they are drinking buddies, and that's it.

You can do it. I'm 27 now, and over 2 years sober. I love where I'm at, and I don't miss the drinking scene at all.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I see where you all are coming from with the friends and drinking buddies thing. Thank you for the advice. I am almost over day one and my anxiety has gone down quite a bit (probably due to the valium I took earlier) Took my vitals and all normal. Feels like my heart is pounding but took my pulse and it was normal 60 bpm.. lol I am a little bit of a hypochondriac.. but I know that is one thing that they were concerned about last time that I was in detox was my vitals.

Since I am quitting.. I am going to probably attend AA classes so I can hear their stories and possibly find new sober friends. I don't know where to find sober friends...It seems as if every social outing involves alcohol.

I am still a little shaky, sweaty and nervous but coming towards the end of day one, I am confident that these symptoms will subside rather quickly.. I didn't drink nearly like I did when I was admitted into detox last year so I think this withdrawal is a lot milder. Anyways, thank you all for your thoughts and I will post my progress!!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also, is itching a withdrawal side effect? I have been itchy and I don't know if it is due to dry skin or what?!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everybody is different.
I was a stinking, sweating mess.
It just felt good to sleep without soaking the sheets.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, itching is a withdrawal effect. It will go away with time.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kmae89 View Post
Also, is itching a withdrawal side effect? I have been itchy and I don't know if it is due to dry skin or what?!
If you don't already, try a shower before bed. I find personally it kind of soothes the itching.