Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Jumping to conclusions, overthinking and negative obsessive thoughts, oh my!

Notices

Old 06-07-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

happy Saturday all....woke up with the birds again...early riser!
I woke up feeling really ....fearful. I see my lawyer on Monday regarding this DUI (2nd) situation and am terrified. Petrified. Scared sh**less.
so afraid, I can't even cry about it. I'm almost numb, if that makes any sense at all. I'm already playing out the worst case scenerios in my head, obsessing about how bad it is going to be. It's a bit of an odd case as I wasn't pulled over, I was arrested at home after the fact and there are gaps in my memory as I had gone home and drank a ton...so I don't even know what more information he has....the NOT knowing, bothers me a lot. Everyone keeps telling me to "just relax, it'll be ok"
well, I'm praying, asking, begging for strength right now....but my damn head won't shut up.

ok - that feels even a tad better getting that out.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can understand that it's scary, but also try to remember that worrying yourself sick isn't going to change anything either

If you're a praying person, pray - if not put your faith in your lawyer.

Whatever happens, you're sober now and that will count
You're moving in the right direction - keep moving forward

D
Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try not to worry to much. Since you drank when you got home they will have a hard time proving your levels. But I'm not a lawyer.

If I was you I would rush to register to a program of some sort. Outpatient or something. The paper work will prove that you are making steps to fix this.

No matter what the outcome will be, unfortunately we have to deal with the ramifications of our actions and drinking can only make things worst.

Thank god no one was hurt or killed. This is your second DUI, second wake up call.

Good luck for Monday, just be brave and face this head on.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey Dee
yah I keep reminding myself, worrying ain't gonna change a darn thing. (did I just say darn?!) and that regardless what outcome, this horrible situation was the turning point for me in my denial about what I am. An alcoholic who can never drink.
I have a supportive family, BF and friends who will help me get through this. I have my job and my health....I'm just so scared.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Try not to worry to much. Since you drank when you got home they will have a hard time proving your levels. But I'm not a lawyer.

If I was you I would rush to register to a program of some sort. Outpatient or something. The paper work will prove that you are making steps to fix this.

No matter what the outcome will be, unfortunately we have to deal with the ramifications of our actions and drinking can only make things worst.

Thank god no one was hurt or killed. This is your second DUI, second wake up call.

Good luck for Monday, just be brave and face this head on.
yup
I went to detox for a week. I have made arrangements for counselling. I did an ADAT tool assessment (provincially mandatory) here last Wed for treatment and attend AA mtgs and have a sponsor. These are all things I will tell my lawyer that I have done since last time I saw him. I hope they will show I am making a very strong effort in getting better. and STAYING better.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
hey Dee
yah I keep reminding myself, worrying ain't gonna change a darn thing. (did I just say darn?!) and that regardless what outcome, this horrible situation was the turning point for me in my denial about what I am. An alcoholic who can never drink.
I have a supportive family, BF and friends who will help me get through this. I have my job and my health....I'm just so scared.
SR makes you say stuff like darn and geewhilikers after a while lol

I've never had a DUI but I know lots of people here who have - and regardless of the outcome - people survive

I hope you get a good outcome naturally - but you'll be ok, no matter what

D
Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's awesome! You got this and I'm proud of you for making the steps to sobriety. Be proud of that no matter what
Old 06-07-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sadly i ended up with 3 DUI's.
Happily, nobody died and i am here today sober and driving sober these days.
You will cope, just as i did.
And resolve never to do it again...
G
Old 06-07-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nmd

Good luck Jupiters, not knowing is the hardest part. Hopefully your lawyer can minimize the damage and you can move on with life.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have an advanced degree in awlfulizing. Awlfulizing is the science of coming up with a million bad outcomes for future events.

My AA sponsor points out to me that I have no power over people places or things and all my awlfulizing will not change a damn thing other than to waste today. Today is all we will ever have. If we have one foot in the past and one in the future we will p**s all over today
Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've had a DUI, so I can relate to the stress you are feeling. I drank heavily for another 5 years after that, and while no more DUI's, I had multiple run-ins with police due to the things I did while intoxicated (fights in bars etc). My career was ruined, I had to declare bankruptcy, and was convinced my life was over. The obsessive negative thoughts and ruminating was only relieved by alcohol, but alcohol was also the source of my problems. Catch 22.

I went to rehab for 35 days, where I finally was diagnosed with Adult ADHD. I am sober, seeing a therapist, and being treated for ADHD now. All my fears about the future have been proven false now and have hope again. So stop the worrying! Things will work out if you give up booze for good!