Notices

Morning of Day 3. Out of the woods for withdrawals?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning of Day 3. Out of the woods for withdrawals?

History:
Previous to May 2010- Drank once a month

May 2010 to August 2011- Drank once a week, usually got pretty drunk

August 2011 to Jan 2012- drank every night - 4 to 5 beers

-I knew it was becoming a problem so I decided to slow down and not drink every night

Jan 2012- May 2012- Drank every night 4-5 beers with a night off per week

May2012- May 2013 Drank every night 7 to 8 beers a night
-Summer hit and I got pretty addicted, I slowed down in the winter but it was still every night

May2013- October 2013 Drank every night 10-11 beers per night
-I knew I had a problem and ended up going to the hospital

October 2013- March 2014 Drank every night 8 beers per night with 2 nights off per week
- Slowly got used to not drinking every single night.

March 2013- June 2014- I drank once every 3-4 nights. Usually on weeknights.

Quit: June 3,2014

So I'm wondering about your experiences with withdrawals. At my worst I had them BAD. I'd have to start drinking in the morning because they would give me so much anxiety.

I'm on day 3. I've had a little bit of shakes on days 1 and 2 and last night I had some night sweats, but I've been going to work and I feel pretty good. I think that if I was going to go through DT's it would have started by now. Am I out of the woods for serious complications? (I'm not asking for medical advice, I'm just asking for stories about your experiences.)

I know that come the end of Day5. I should be out of the woods. Prior to my June 3rd binge. I had gone 5 days without drinking. I need to start planning for the psychological withdrawal. So I'm here to hear about your experiences.

1. How was the physical withdrawal for you?
2. How have you managed to deal with the psychological withdrawal?

-Serper2014
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. An honest answer is I don’t know because we mostly have different reactions to stopping alcohol intake. We are NOT medical personal so are at a disadvantage and can’t make recommendations in general about withdrawal. Best suggestion is to seek medical advice in your area and BE HONEST in answering questions.

BE WELL
Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi. An honest answer is I don’t know because we mostly have different reactions to stopping alcohol intake. We are NOT medical personal so are at a disadvantage and can’t make recommendations in general about withdrawal. Best suggestion is to seek medical advice in your area and BE HONEST in answering questions.

BE WELL

I'm in Medical school and have access to medical advice as well as medical literature. Again, I'm just asking the two questions that I posed at the end.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Night sweats,anxiety,insomnia for the first 3-4 nights.
The head games go on for months. But it gets better as times goes by.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
I'm in Medical school and have access to medical advice as well as medical literature. Again, I'm just asking the two questions that I posed at the end.

1. I would say my physical withdrawal lasted about 4-5 days, but it took me several weeks to start getting back into a normal sleep routine and for my GI tract to get back to "normal".

2. I deal with the mental/psychological side of being sober mostly by reading, writing and interacting with others here on SR. I honestly don't think I'll ever stop doing it. The first time I tried to get sober "for real" I quit for a couple months and thought I was "better" and stopped posting/working on my recovery and I was back to regular drinking within a month or two.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
1. I would say my physical withdrawal lasted about 4-5 days, but it took me several weeks to start getting back into a normal sleep routine and for my GI tract to get back to "normal".

2. I deal with the mental/psychological side of being sober mostly by reading, writing and interacting with others here on SR. I honestly don't think I'll ever stop doing it. The first time I tried to get sober "for real" I quit for a couple months and thought I was "better" and stopped posting/working on my recovery and I was back to regular drinking within a month or two.

- That's good to know. I haven't had any GI upsets so that is good. It's funny I don't even know what a normal sleep cycle is anymore. I pretty much sleep at a different time everyday. I could be going to bed at 4-5 in the afternoon or up 4-5 in the morning. So it will be nice to get back into a regular routine.

-Your second point really hit home with me. Since OCT I've done 7 days sober a few times 5 days sober probably 10 times and 3-4 days sober more than I can count... and like you said. I'm not posting or really keeping up with it. I get tricked into thinking because I feel better that I am better and I can drink. This time I'll take your advice and keep reading on here and posting. I may go to some meetings as well. I've never done that before
Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First few days: anxiety, nausea, fogginess, night sweats, some insomnia.
A week later: good appetite for healthier food, quality sleep, some fatigue, better overall functionality.
Sharper focus on why I've finally quit for good keeps me sane.
Emotions vary across the board.
When I feel boxed in, I replay the mental tape of the whole scenario; especially the hangover, guilt and wasted time.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post

1- Withdrawal was uncomfortable but I made it ok. I tapered my use down over a period of several days. First few days alcohol free I had insomnia, morning shakes (I found that eating breakfast and avoiding coffee helped), hearing things at night like music that wasn't there or knocking sounds throughout the house. Also voices in the other room. Knowing it was withdrawals I knew it was imaginary. Had to force myself to eat for first 3 days. GI issues for about 5 days. Vivid dreams and nightmares/night terrors. Anxiety, paranoia, mood swings, strong feelings of regret and despair at how I had acted drunk. Waking up with sweat-soaked pillow every night for about 10 days. Week 2 started eating like crazy, food tasted so good and my nutrient starved body had to make up for lost time!

I think those were the major issues. At 2 weeks all of those symptoms went away. I took B complex and drank plenty of water.

2- I've only had 1 real craving and that was at after 2 weeks. I went to a sober bbq/pool party and had to leave after 20 minutes. Even with no alcohol there the urge to drink due to the loud music and party atmosphere was too much. Since then, nothing.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll just say, as far as my experience goes, you are never out of the woods for withdrawl. I guess physical withdrawl lessens, dims and subsides over a certain amount of time but the psychological aspect is with us forever.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on day 4 and feel out of the woods from the shakes. Still have gi issues and going to get assessed today to see if there is any real damage. The real bummer for me is the outrageous mood swings. Sheesh. I am on cloud nine that I've made it this far as I cant remember the last time I went a day without a drink and then boom... I'm super emotional, easily frustrated. My body feels jacked overall. And my mind and emotions are right there with it. It's getting better but the hard part will be how to deal with all this day to day stuff without turning to booze and breaking bad habits. Like for instance right now my husband is in the shower and normally I would sneak a swig or more from a bottle while I have the chance. Its stuff like this that's the hardest.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
1- Withdrawal was uncomfortable but I made it ok. I tapered my use down over a period of several days. First few days alcohol free I had insomnia, morning shakes (I found that eating breakfast and avoiding coffee helped), hearing things at night like music that wasn't there or knocking sounds throughout the house. Also voices in the other room. Knowing it was withdrawals I knew it was imaginary. Had to force myself to eat for first 3 days. GI issues for about 5 days. Vivid dreams and nightmares/night terrors. Anxiety, paranoia, mood swings, strong feelings of regret and despair at how I had acted drunk. Waking up with sweat-soaked pillow every night for about 10 days. Week 2 started eating like crazy, food tasted so good and my nutrient starved body had to make up for lost time!

I think those were the major issues. At 2 weeks all of those symptoms went away. I took B complex and drank plenty of water.

2- I've only had 1 real craving and that was at after 2 weeks. I went to a sober bbq/pool party and had to leave after 20 minutes. Even with no alcohol there the urge to drink due to the loud music and party atmosphere was too much. Since then, nothing.

Wow Thanks for the input. Yeah It's the evening of day 3 for me now... I just went to the gym and I feel pretty darn good. It's not that I wasn't an alcoholic...it's just I guess if you only drink every few nights for a few months before you quit then physically the withdrawals don't seem to be as bad as if you are drinking everyday (even if it's not that much).

2- This is really interesting to me. I don't think I've ever had a craving. I just have the AV. Like I just got home from the gym and it's a beautiful friday night and I WANT TO GO PARTY. I don't so much crave getting drunk. I crave the excitement pushing the boundaries that come with partying. I wanna wake up tomorrow and say WOW that was a CRAZY night. Where am I right now? How did I get here!?

If anyone is reading this new question. If you are adrenaline ***** such as myself. How do you get that without going out to bars/ clubs? If I go out, then I'll be tempted to drink. So I need to find another way to get it...
Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HvyMetalGrl23 View Post
I'll just say, as far as my experience goes, you are never out of the woods for withdrawl. I guess physical withdrawl lessens, dims and subsides over a certain amount of time but the psychological aspect is with us forever.
I mean on one hand I get what you are saying. But withdrawal, by it's very definition cannot last forever, even psychological withdrawal. The brain doesn't just get accustom to a drug and is changed forever, unless it's severely severely damaged, which alcohol, in most cases isn't quite toxic enough to do.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am over 7 months sober.

My withdrawal was bad the first time. I had a seizure and shakes. I would suggest to everyone that they see a doctor. I wish I had.

Actually I got Bell's Palsy last November and the new consultant was looking at my files. He said "I see you were under the care of the neurologist...why was that?" So I decided to just tell him everything ( I am done with lying to everyone) and he said "Oh your alcoholism must have been bad...I am glad you are doing so well now!"

My cravings have definitely lessened. I rarely think about drinking now. Actually my Grandma has been really sick and I have been helping her out with cooking, cleaning etc. I was just thinking a few days ago, where does the time go? I don't have time to sit around and drink.

I am going mountain climbing next weekend to raise money for charity. Never done it before and I'm looking forward to that
Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Horrible Nightmares, sleep paralyses, hypnic jerks trying to fall asleep.

I have absolutely no desire to drink anymore. I decided to pick something else to die of.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I am over 7 months sober.

My withdrawal was bad the first time. I had a seizure and shakes. I would suggest to everyone that they see a doctor. I wish I had.

Actually I got Bell's Palsy last November and the new consultant was looking at my files. He said "I see you were under the care of the neurologist...why was that?" So I decided to just tell him everything ( I am done with lying to everyone) and he said "Oh your alcoholism must have been bad...I am glad you are doing so well now!"

My cravings have definitely lessened. I rarely think about drinking now. Actually my Grandma has been really sick and I have been helping her out with cooking, cleaning etc. I was just thinking a few days ago, where does the time go? I don't have time to sit around and drink.

I am going mountain climbing next weekend to raise money for charity. Never done it before and I'm looking forward to that
Congrats on the 7 months! Any information on when the cravings will peak? I imagine it will take a few months before I'm "normal." I drank heavily for about 3-4 years.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Hi Serper,
Glad you are on day 3, it will get better. Everyone experiences different withdrawal symptoms.
I can tell you personally, that each time I started and stopped the withdrawal was stronger and longer, even with a much lower consumption of alcohol. Google kindling effect, I think that is what was happening....
Just don't pick up the poison again and you'll never have to experience the living hell that withdrawal brings.
Welcome to SR! And hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My physical w/d lasted four or five days and the mental w/d about six months. After six months sober I was feeling mostly back to normal.