Notices

does cold turkey work?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does cold turkey work?

Curious to know if I am setting myself up for failure here. I am five days sober and doing fairly well. I am solely using this site for advice, and guidance. I have the full support of my husband. Do I need to include my doctor? Should I be attending AA or outside recovery center? Has anyone made this work doing what I am doing or should I be considering other outlets as well?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello

You have pretty much described the method I used to get sober. I DID include my doctor and I went to an addictions therapist as well once a month. Mostly though, I hung out here and read and read and read. There is no one size fits all method here and what works for one might not work for the next. You just have to find what works for YOU.
Family support helps a lot and stay as busy as you can. As for setting yourself up for failure? This is my opinion and strictly mine but I think the biggest way we set ourselves up for failure is to start wondering if we have set ourselves up for failure. The right mindset is a wonderful tool to have as well.
I am very glad you have joined our SR family and wish you success on the road to sobriety.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cold turkey simply means withdrawing without medical assistance.

It's not something I recommend, but at 5 days I think if you were going to run into health related trouble you probably would have by now?
I still think it's a great idea to see a Dr to make sure everything is ok, but that's up to you

As for recovery maintenance...some people use SR, some people use AA or another group, some people use a mix.
It really is an individual decision. Here's some links to recovery groups you might like to explore to start you thinking:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D
Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi whatcouldbe, I quit cold turkey, and I think many people do. The medical problems that can be associated with CT depend on how much you drank, and your own medical issues but a 5 days you seem to be OK.
I did find it helpful to talk to my doctor for emotional support and I got lots of praise when I visited from time to time still sober. Everyone loves praise!
I didn't join a program although they seem to be very helpful. My biggest long-term support has been participating in SR.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only wrong way to get sober is to have to drink to manage it.

Everybody is different, and some need more support than others. I personally needed to go to rehab and get and stay involved in AA afterwards. It's been over four years, and I can say that it's been fantastic. Not always easy, but always worth it.

If what you are doing is sufficient for you to not drink and maintain emotional balance, good for you. If you find it difficult or impossible to maintain, try AA or other resources. Whatever you do... don't drink, the disease never goes away.

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision for healthy change.
I'm a big fan of getting yourself support when walking such a new and challenging road...a community of others who empathize and can provide strength, caring, knowledge and things that work for them..wherever you may find that.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are doing the same method as me. I passed 6 months last week. Make sure if you are feeling down to get a glass of water and read SR. As long as you don't have that first drink you are winning!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sober tool belt

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post

#1 -- I am five days sober

#2 -- Should I be attending AA

#3 -- should I be considering other outlets as well?
concerning the above

#1 -- congratulations

#2 -- AA sure helps us to understand alcoholism -- also good support there

#3 -- a full sober tool belt is always recommended

note
many have sobered up and stayed sober by just reading the AA Big Book
a for sure to add to the sober tool belt

also recommend -- staying close and participating on this site

Mountainman
Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on 5 days and probably the worst of the acute withdrawal is over.
Maintaining sobriety is THE thing.
I tried for years to go it alone, sadly without success.
Support group and SR help me stay in the day and resolute.
You might find outside help of benefit.
At the very least it will take the strain off hubby!!!
Best wishes.
G
Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

5 days no alcohol, you are over the worst, but I would still talk to my doctor.. You said your husband gives you great support. Which is fantastic, but you need more than one supporter.... Here you will get advice, comments and relate to other people in your situation.... But always remember how fast you can return, no more alcohol ever... I did 100 days, took one drink and was right back where I started... Today is day 15 on the second try.... Keep up the great work.....
Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post
The only wrong way to get sober is to have to drink to manage it.
Love this! I agree with everything Eddie said.

Like you, I'm blessed to have a supportive husband. However, I do believe that the support of other ex-drinkers is really helpful--they just get where you're coming from in a way your husband might not. I find SR fills my need for that, but an in-person recovery support group would also probably be great.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Who are you calling a Turkey, lady?

Hehe...welcome.

I was sober 3 weeks before I found this site. Have read a lot, been learning ever since. There's lots of books out there also.

I've found sobriety to be a journey. First you learn how to be sober, then the how to get your life back on track.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you around here!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on 5 days! Like others I would think you weathered the worst of the detox storm.

Sorry to say but this is the easy part. Not picking up again is where the recovery works starts. You need support, all you can get, family, trusted friends (not drinking buddies) church, AA, smart recovery groups, therapist, family doctor. And of course SR!

Pull in all the troops you need for this.

Be well and be kind to yourself. Treat yourself daily to little things, chocolate, etc. YOU and your recovery have now become your number 1 priority.
Be selfish about it. You don't feel like attending a family party for example, don't go. Simple as that. Whatever situation you think will tempt you, run for the hills. After a while you will feel more confident and solid in your resolve.

Yikes this is long, hope something in there will help you.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your responses!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Slightly embarrassed that I'm crying on the bus!! Beautiful!
Oops sorry wrong thread!!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
Curious to know if I am setting myself up for failure here. I am five days sober and doing fairly well. I am solely using this site for advice, and guidance. I have the full support of my husband. Do I need to include my doctor? Should I be attending AA or outside recovery center? Has anyone made this work doing what I am doing or should I be considering other outlets as well?
İf it is already 5 days without significant withdrawal symptoms,there should not be any problems!The most dangerous thing in withdrawals is delirium but before that there are other symptoms.Nobody goes without any symptoms for 5 days and then then suddenly develop dt's!The best thing is to carry on without drinking!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days! For me, I was able to stay sober about 50 days by myself. Then that pasky AV reared its ugly head and convinced me that I was okay and I could drink like a normal person. It was wrong. This time around I am attending AA. I now realize that alcohol wasn't my problem, it is the inability to deal with my life. I choose to deal with my stress and daily hassles with alcohol of which I obviously have no control. AA is giving me the ability to deal with life on life's terms, not mine. Also, the support of other individuals who have experienced the same things as I have is invaluable. Whatever keeps you from drinking and makes you happy is what you should do. The important thing to think about is are you just not drinking or are you doing the things that keep you from ever drinking again? Good luck on your journey and I truly hope you find the serenity you seek
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Same method as me too my friend, SR is my one and only source to keep me sober, well that and will power obviously but we all have moments of feeling down and that is where SR is priceless. Because it makes you realise that you are part of a team all fighting against this disease we call alcoholism.
Wishing you well my friend.