Notices

What to expect when on withdrawal meds

Old 05-30-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect when on withdrawal meds

What can I expect when on withdrawal medication?

The last time I saw my GP I was on valium and it worked great, but that was a few years ago and I've been drinking more heavily since then.

I'm gonna try and see my GP tomorrow, not sure what she'll prescribe but I expect Valium again.

I'm on day 4ish now but the withdrawal is still not great (I left my house for an hour today and felt like I almost couldn't make it home, anxiety, chest pains, light headidness)

So I'm finally gonna try and see my doc tomorrow and explain this all and see what she gives me. Does anyone know what I will feel and how long I will feel it?

(I drank about a 26oz of vodka a day or 2+L of wine)

I can't do it cold turkey or I will drink again. I've never had a problem with prescription meds so I'm not worried, just wanna know how I'lll feel.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no personal experience to share.
Be sure to ask your Dr what to expect with whatever might be prescribed.

D
Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Well, we have a 'no medical advice policy' here and i think your question boarders on that. Everyone reacts a little differently to medication so i can't say that my reaction to medication would be the same as yours. Is there something in particular that you're worried about?

I think the big question here is what are you going to do while you're detoxing and after? What's your plan for sobriety?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I guess I'd like to know what other peoples experiences were when they were on withdrawal meds. I don't know what to expect because when I was on valium before it was a few years back and I felt great on them, but I drank a hell of a lot less.

My plan is to go back to AA first off, reconnect with a friend from AA, see how I feel about it (didn't care a whole lot for it before) and if I still don't then I will explore alternatives like Smart Recovery. Also, having a job and being busy will help as I don't have much to do now, and making some friends as I burned a lot of bridges. Keeping myself occupied.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sharing your experience is generally ok.

Making recommendations, or diagnoses, or treatment plans for others, or asking for those things, is not

D
Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sharing your experience is generally ok.

Making recommendations, or diagnoses, or treatment plans for others, or asking for those things, is not

D
duly noted

if anyone can share their experience that would be awesome
Old 05-30-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I only took Valium once and it was an emergency. Heh...I was taking a trip down south to see my parents and would have been going through withdrawals. Doc gave me the Valium and I used it just to get me through. I went right back to drinking when I got home, heh. :/

AA is working for me. I've had to go through quite a few meetings to find the ones I like. Believe me, I've been to some stinkers! Monday, my Adventure Club went to a meeting where the chair never showed up. We sat in the parking lot, waited for 25 minutes, then started having a meeting in the parking lot! Someone showed up eventually and we went inside and had another meeting.

I hope you're able to find something that works for you. Most of my detoxing experiences have been at home and absolutely horrible. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Detoxing is terrible,

The only reason I didn't go to a clinic is because they don't give you any meds, just a big dark stinky room with 12 beds and a bunch of people that snore while I'm up for hours and hours.

I've never felt a seizure coming either but if I did I'd further call 911 than go to a detox centre, at least there they can give you meds and an IV for fluids and whatnot.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

From my experience I was advised to see my doctor first for a treatment plan as cold turkey from alcohol without medical treatment/advice can be very dangerous given the potential for a seizure. So I was put on Valium for a week and tapered off for a few days then stopped.

All the best
Old 05-30-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pblack177 View Post
Detoxing is terrible,
I've never felt a seizure coming either but if I did I'd further call 911 than go to a detox centre, at least there they can give you meds and an IV for fluids and whatnot.
Chances of you feeling a seizure coming are remote, chance of you knowing you had one is remote if there is no one there to witness it.

Talk to your doctor.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I never felt my seizure coming on. It just happened. It scared me so much. I was in the bed and my husband was asleep next to me. I laid awake all night, fearing that if I fell asleep, my husband would wake to a dead wife. I didn't tell him until months later.

Yeah, I medically detoxed once. Got set up in a nice, big hospital bed, IV drip, very nice meals, husband visited whenever he wanted, private TV. It was actually a pretty nice 4 days. When I checked in for detox at the rehab, I got shut up in a psych ward for 5 days with people who were suicide, in the middle of a psychotic break.....like, the kind of people you would expect to be locked in a psych ward. I was worried that one girl there was going to cut a b*tch because she was hogging some of the colored markers. I hated it but it sure made me want to be sure that I never had to experience that again,
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
Chances of you feeling a seizure coming are remote, chance of you knowing you had one is remote if there is no one there to witness it.

Talk to your doctor.
V. true.

I blacked out once when I decided to go buy cigarettes after my 1st or 2nd day of stopping.

Was walking home from the store, I remember seeing spots, then next thing I knew I woke up in the hospital. Don't think it was a seizure, but still pretty scary. Kept drinking after that but cut down quite a bit (though still drank like a fish)