Notices

Explaining myself

Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Explaining myself

So I'm in my first 3 days of sobriety, I happen to choose the same week my good friend is having her 30th birthday celebration. I hate having to explain what I'm going through because none really gets it. I just had a long conversation with the only friend I spoke to about it and he says I should put it off until next week because canceling on her birthday is disrespectful. After I told him I went as far as talking to my mother about my alcohol use and the eventual cocaine use it leads to, I think I convinced him that I'm pretty serious about it. He changed his tune to a more supportive one. Curious to know my other friends reactions when they find out.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll find that the dynamics of many of your relationships will change. You may lose some friends on your path to sobriety but you will also gain many great new friends

Most people who don't suffer from this 'affliction' don't understand it and never will. I'd say you should avoid the party...you're off to a good start and you have to do whats best for you now..
Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have to cancel completely? Can u plan something for the two of you to do, solo? Like a movie or lunch?

Good job on 3 days
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thawk86 View Post
the only friend I spoke to about it and he says I should put it off until next week because canceling on her birthday is disrespectful.
You're right... he doesn't get it. Then again, he's not an alcoholic or an addict - so he simply doesn't know.

You put off things that can be re-scheduled. You put off a haircut, you do not put off the heimlich maneuver. This falls into the latter category, inconvenient though it may be. The fact that he or anyone else may not understand doesn't mean you are obliged to enlighten him or them.

Send your regrets about missing the party, that is respectful and decent. Postponing and potentially foregoing an act of self preservation is not respectful, it's downright moronic.