Notices

Day 3

Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

Still not sleeping well, but thankful to be just tired and not hungover. My head is feeling a little clearer today, stomach has settled a bit (anxiety, not nausea) and I know it will only get better from here.

I had an interesting (?) phone call from a friend last night. She called to see what I was up to and I told her that I just got home from a meeting. "What kind of meeting?" she asks "AA meeting ... I'm quitting drinking" I replied. She then proceeded to ask me over to dinner tonight,which I declined explaining that they will be drinking and I am not really comfortable with that right now. "I hope you understand". She said that of course she understood ... "so you're quitting drinking beer and everything???" I replied "um ya ... beer and everything ... that's what quitting drinking is about".

I think I shall be declining dinner invitations from her for a while.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do what you gotta do to remain Sober!! keep pushing through!!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that is exactly what I intend to do PK ...
Old 05-28-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one hokey, day 3, yeah
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful job on your Day 3. I'm sorry you're not sleeping, but that should improve soon.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just read through the sleepless nights ... or come on here. I don't stress about it, because I know it will improve with time. Of course, I am on vacation from work, so I don't really have to worry about it right now Hopefully by the time I go back next Tuesday, things will have evened out a bit.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Hi hokey,
Good job on day 3! Glad you are beginning to feel better. Be careful of such " friends"- you are wise to stay away in early sobriety. I had a similar experience and the person tried sabotaging my wishes. She was very passive aggressive; saying she supported me but mocking my choice at the same time. Inside I know it was her cowardly way of saying she wished that she had the strength to stop her drinking. Be strong and focus on you.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope ... that is exactly the way I saw that conversation. She even said to me at one point "you KNOW I can control my drinking" but ironically, I had actually thought about swinging by her place to pick her up on my way to the meeting. She is in denial, but I also know (from experience) that I cannot force that decision on her. But I refuse to feed into that denial. I think I will just avoid that whole topic for a while.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Yes, she will continue to push the point with you because internally she is struggling and you are a giant step ahead. I think distance will help for now. There is a lot of power in that little word "no". Stick with it and don't pay mind to outside influences that won't give you support. You're life is about to get incredible and those people who don't support it will no longer weigh you down.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

And another thing, if she didn't have an issue with alcohol, she wouldn't need to justify "being in control". I see you mentioned you are on vacation. There's a book I recently downloaded from Amazon by Jason Vale. I think it's called How to Kick the Drink. Great read once you get into it. I have a totally different perception of alcohol now and he talks a lot about situations you are having with your friend. Stay strong
Old 05-28-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just ordered a few books from Amazon about recovery. I am a voracious reader and I think I need to immerse myself in this entirely to succeed this time, including my book choices. I will check that one out, thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job! Keep it up!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me too.

Not sleeping either but stopped with the cold sweats and not shaking so bad.

Best of luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 3 is in the bag ...

I was supposed to be going to visit my son this week, but it's a 12 hour drive each way and at this point, I don't think a road trip is a good idea. I'm still too fuzzy and foggy brained and not getting enough sleep to attempt that drive. I called him tonight to tell him why ... and I told him the truth, explained about the withdrawal symptoms and why I didn't want to take that risk. He was real quiet ... and then said "Mom, I am SO proud of you! And happy that you are doing this! "
Wow ... I am in such a good place mentally right now ... day 3 was pretty darn great!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

aw that's so nice