Notices

Two Weeks Now and Proud of It!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Weeks Now and Proud of It!

Hello everyone! Well, here goes...I've been drinking for 20+ years and have finally got to the point that I don't want to be a slave to the bottle anymore. I am fortunate that I haven't lost any jobs or alienated any loved ones but it certaintly was affecting my quality of life. Back in the day when I was younger, it was wine coolers (yeah, showing my age ), then straight up wine, and the past few years it's been straight up vodka. A lot of it, mostly at night, sneakily, and then progressed to waking up weekend mornings and taking a hit and more throughout the day. I hid my drinking, and I was ashamed of my deceit. My doctor prescribed high blood pressure medicine and several supplements (Vitamin D, C, B12, B6, etc) that now I realize the alcohol was robbing my body of. I'm not dumb by any means, but I think I was in denial why my health wasn't as good as it should be. Denial was my middle name for a long time, that an procrastination are not a good combination. So 2 weeks ago yesterday, I broke down and finally told my husband my long-held secret. I was worried how he would respond but he has been extremely helpful and supportive. The first few days were pretty hard but I was able to deal with everything with his support. So that's it for now, I look forward to becoming more acquainted with this site and learning about others' stories.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I was shocked at the level of my denial about what was happening to my health and to my relationships. But, that's the nature of the disease.

Good for you for making the decision to stop drinking.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Welcome Amber,
You will get a lot of support here
Old 05-28-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi amber, and welcome to SR.

Two weeks under your own steam is a big achievement, well done. There is some great support on this site. Please keep posting, especially if you find things get a bit more difficult. There are lots of things you can do to make your sobriety a permanent thing. We'll be happy to help.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for responding, and thank you for your support.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on two weeks sober! And here's to many more sober weeks.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR - and congrats on your two weeks AmberFalcon

D