Notices

Sponsor Questions

Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor Questions

I'm thinking of giving AA another try as my last attempt at sobriery was an utter fail that lasted 2 days. I'm back on day 2 now, tired and hungry, but I think the worst of my withdrawal has passed.

I have questions about sponsor/sponsee relationships. I'm a gay male and have always been more comfortable opening up to females (female doctor and cousenlors). I know sponsor/sponsee relationships are meant to be same-sex but wouldn't I be better off working with a female? And if so, would I find a female willing to work with me?

Anyone with experience, your help would be much appreciated. Did a quick google search but there's not mu h online.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Look online for LGBT groups. Gender roles may be more relaxed and fluid in one of those meetings.

I will choose the sponsor I want to work with, and that will be that. Find someone who agrees with you. The same sex thing is mostly to avoid sexual attraction between sponsor/sponsee. I've seen all different combinations, so do what you are comfortable doing.

This is your recovery.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The male female suggestion in AA based on taking sexual complication out of the equation including the sponsor and sponsee's significant others. My first sponsor was gay and I am straight. My feelings are never get involved in any situation where sexual attracting or jealousy could be an issue
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

My home group is gay and in the gay meetings in my area it is fairly common to have men work with women and vice versa. I wouldn't hesitate to work with a guy if asked.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sponsorship

Go to the fellowship and find a person a person who has taken the steps who looks happy and peaceful someone with something you want..... a sponsor has one responsibility to guide another alcoholic through the 12 steps that's all... in hopes that you do likewise. ... today's interpretation of sponsorship is watered down...... the word sponsee doesn't even exist in any dictionary anywhere.... just keep it simple be honest with yourself are you an alcoholic is life unmanageable are you willing to go to any lengths to get better
Old 11-11-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is the 4th yes 4th old thread you have pulled up about sponsoring

You must read & see thier old threads can't be coincidence can it
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't see a problem with bringing up old threads.

To the OP, my current sponsor is a lesbian and I'm a straight man. So far no issues. Whatever is the best fit for you and allows you to benefit the most from your program is the way to go.