Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Takes time for for the alcoholic 'Just a little drink' thought to leave

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is weird - today is Day 12 and as I've mentioned before I have had long periods of sobriety. But the last year has been full on into drinking. The point of my post is - today I'm not working and last night when my husband told me he was staying away tonight (for work) I immediately thought 'Ooh I could drink tomorrow morning and the kids wouldn't know when they got home from school'. I told my husband about the thought.

I haven't drunk today and I've been pretty productive - gym, chores and cooking but that voice in my head has been there. I want it to go. I know from the past that it will but it is really annoying.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AF

12 days is really great - keep it going!

Thoughts are thoughts - it's what we do in response that counts
Old 05-18-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up Great thread AlcoholFree66

Hi AlcoholFree66 -

I totally agrees with how annoying the 'alcoholic thought' feels. There is something about making the commitment to sobriety that intensified the thought for sure.

When I was really struggling on Day13 I posted this thread (thanks for the responses SR peeps!):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-friends.html

Weasel's response in particular popped in my head over this weekend when I considered taking "just a sip" of beer (AV..."not even one or two'...what's a sip??"). Here it is:

Me (thought bubble): "...just drink one or two beers and you will be able to relax your mind enough to __________."

Weasel's response: "I can finish that thought...enough to have ten more."

Bubble bursting Weasel! Seriously, for me it is the truth. No one around me would stop me! I could get away with it and come up with a great reason for everyone else. But not for me Bubble. is. Finally. Burst. Amen. I feel so relieved.

You are doing such a great job! Way to stay strong over the weekend! Keep going
Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congratulations on Day 12!

The fact that you shared what you were thinking with your husband is huge. The more we keep things to ourselves when we're having an issue the more the AV is fed. As long as you're silent the more possibilities there are to pick up. You're being honest with yourself and with your family and that's a huge plus.

If I had to credit one of the top 5 items that supplied me with the greatest assistance in getting and staying sober it was complete and unadulterated honesty. Both with myself and with others. In fact, that might be #1.

Good going to you!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats in day 12! Telling your husband was huge and a giant step forward. It stinks when you are going through the thoughts of "what's one going to hurt" but I've found that just telling someone that I'm having a thought of drinking makes the thought so much less powerful.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well done observing the thought, intercepting it, playing out the tape, sharing the experience with another and then moving on with sobriety!!

way to go.