Notices

I'm going to die

Old 05-18-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A few years ago I was hospitalized ... fully jaundiced - eyes neon yellow-orange, skin yellow, liver failing ...... and I am 100% ok today. I wish you the same success. Consider this your big chance to get healthy and to turn your life around ... and make that your project! The liver is amazing. Best wishes!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Zelda, I also have a diagnosis of NASH. I was overweight, diabetic, and drinking wine nightly, when diagnosed. I can share more privately if you wish, but I have had normal liver enzymes, and felt very well after losing weight, and controlling my diabetes. I was sober for a good stretch and got complacent because I was enjoying such good health. So, I am back working on sobriety. even with that, my liver enzymes have been normal and my diabetes in excellent control. Diabetics and obese people can have fatty liver disease without drinking. And I poured fuel on the flames with the wine.

My personal experience is that weight loss, lower carb eating, controlling my blood sugar and the months I had sober were the ticket to healing. My tests were all basically normal after 3 months. I struggle with high cholesterol, but my family does in general.

Listen to your doctor. Good nutrition, weight loss, exercise and no drinking should get you back to better health.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more with what the above poster just put into text.Very well said!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Zelda

I personally know a number of people that came 'back from the brink' of complete liver failure and pretty much fully recovered their health. They were th ones that never drank alcohol again.

I also have known others who have ignored the warnings or who have drank again to avoid facing the reality of living sober. They died of liver failure.

The choice is ours to make. Not easy for an alcoholic, but simple.

Don't drink, recover and live. Or drink get more ill and die.

This is a choice that I personally was faced with and chose to get help and live.

I hope that you do to Zelda.

G
Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Unbroken

Stay off the sauce and you should be just fine, trust in your Higher Power!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Another story... I have a young friend in is early 30's. The first time I saw him was in a doctor's office. He couldn't stand up without the assistance of his parents. He was yellow ALL OVER and his belly was so extended he looked 9 months pregnant. The NEXT time I saw him was at an AA meeting and he still looked like he was going to die any day. He didn't. He recovered and is healthy and happy and sober. But his doc told him he can never pick up again or he will die. He also had severe kidney problems. He's been invited over and over again to talk at open AA meetings.

So my point is... it's not over until it's over. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself and you'll be okay.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I want to thank everyone for sharing their story. After a few days of actually eating well and having panic attacks I feel better... I picked up running and can only really do 1 mile walking right now but I hope to lose weight. I'll keep on checking in here because reading all of your stories has been really helpful.

I get to see a nutritionist on Tuesday to talk about what I can eat! I have a lot of food allergies besides so this is going to be interesting!!!

thank you again. and I hope everyone stays sober and happy and healthy too!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mary2

Good luck friend. Stay focused and you will be great. Hope you are less worried now xxx