Notices

Addictive thinking...

Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addictive thinking...

Okay, I need someone to call ******** on my addictive thinking. So far I seem to be pretty safe on the drinking front but I am failing a bit on the smoking front, and anyone who knows me knows that the two are so intrinsically linked for me to be treading on dangerous ground...

Background, sober for two years and more on less smoke free too apart from about 5 cigarettes, 3 of which were in the last week or so. The first of the recent ones were when I had a stressful situation and nicked one from a friend. It did calm me somewhat and probably as a result of that when I found myself in a stressful social situation I did the same again, and felt better. I don't know if it was because I was doing something I shouldn't or what, the physical craving should have been long gone by then. Then today I did it again in a totally stress free situation just because I could. It's a slippery slope I know. But I am justifying it in my head because at least it wasn't booze right? I am also convincing myself that cigarettes are good for my anxiety, seriously they seemed to do the job. I know that has to be ******** and that this is addiction pure and simple but once the thought is there it is hard to shift.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom before I start justifying the odd pint...?!
Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hypochondriac, you can call BS far faster and better on this that anyone else. In fact, that's what's gotta happen.

You know the drill by now, I'm sure, of what I am going to say. Any thought of smoking right now, or again, or even doubt in your ability to quit smoking for ever, is not your will speaking, but your smoking addiction speaking. If you have chosen to quit for good, then that smoking voice is not one you want to have anything to do with. It will come and go, but you get to decide whether to stick one of those things in your face and set it on fire.

I know you can quit smoking. Are you ready to have those healthy lungs, sweet breath, clean fingers and hair, cash in your pocket and a longer life? Are you ready to quit for good?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hypochondriac, I am not sure that I can come out with some words of wisdom, but I know this son of b*** pretty well.

Cigarettes good for anxiety? Really? You can cope with anxiety yourself. You really can. AV throws you these dirty cigarette butеs to distract you from your own power, and bring you to the dark cave where it resides. It feeds on every cigarette you are taking. And it will do anything to get it, and then it will double cross you, humiliate and suck out your self-esteem.

What you deserve is health and freedom from this nasty addiction. AV deserves cigarettes. Leave them to him.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, this is exactly the stuff I need to hear. My own brain hasn't been helping me recently x
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If someone smoke I place distance between us. It is too bad because a few of them are nice people
Old 05-11-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

See this is what I was thinking I may have to do anykey, at least for a bit. I like to think I shouldn't have to but maybe it would be the safer option!
Old 05-11-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think cigarettes were actually worse for my anxiety than alcohol, to be honest Hypo.
Just like alcohol they seemed to sooth, but I always needed another and another...

if smoking and drinking are as inexorably linked for you as they were for me, it's a no brainer, really.

Nip it in the butt, lol

D
Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hypo,

For me, one and I'm off to the races. The same with my Hubs. He was smoke free for a month and decided to smoke to celebrate. oh yeah, that's showing it who's boss!

The only way to quit a behavior/addiction is not do it. Full Stop.

Love from Lenina

Im smoke free now three and a half years!
Old 05-12-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Lenina That's a good point about the anxiety Dee. Today I have decided to recommit to my sober/smoke free lifestyle. I think I have taken a few backwards steps and it has put my head back to where it was years ago but it's only a minor setback. I think I justified it because I have made a lot of progress but my addictive thinking is still seeing my addictions as a reward. I have bought some healthy food this morning and am gonna take up running when it stops raining... moving forwards x
Old 05-12-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's a really positive decision Hypo

D
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I smoke like a chimney, but I can only
tackle one addiction at a time. Once I am
comfortable with my sober life and
the depression and anxiety diminishes,
I will take on the cigs. to me, it would
be overwhelming and I would fall on my face.